Who are our deadliest enemies in 6th Edtion?

Cmdr Shepard

Wait, a squad that is twice as hard to kill as Space Marines, has more powerful weapons, has the fastest method of transportation in the game, and only costs 10ish more pts than a Tactical Squad of the same size is expensive, aren't tough and have a hard time moving??? huh.gif

These words that you are using, I don't think they mean what you think they mean.

agreed... necrons are now nearly unbeatable (thats why you shouldnt make rules for your personal favorite things, as it will be biased) if power/tourney -gamed...

atleast from an eldar players perspective (also it makes things seem even grim'er that most of the eldar army is now actually useless, so i dont agree with them being a threat to marines what so ever... i mean jetbikes can no longer kite, rangers are still just overpriced scouts, mechdar doesnt work anymore, footdar neither thanks to fleet nerf and rapidfire buff (eldar basicly got 12" assault 2 bolters, so they are very kiteable by any army with rapidfire, not that they are worth kiting ,since they die like flies in CC)... actually, the only thing that seems dangerous are harlequins, and thats mostly becouse of the typo in the FAQ)

Eldar are not the push-overs to Marines that you seem to think they are. Rangers are know a ridiculously high threat because every Precision Shot they land is AP1. RAW, a squad of Avengers can blast you with Bladestorm and still fire Overwatch if you charge them. Holofields might be poop now, but Wave Serpents only got more useful since they can move 12" AND get a cover save AND fire both weapons. Eldrad is still the best psyker in the game, and has access to Divination with its super-Guide and :tu:-your-saves spells. Reapers have a new lease on life, and have only gotten better at killing Marines thanks to focus fire, snap shots, and overwatch (especially if under Foreboding). Hawks can can absolutely murder vehicles with haywire grenades, Spiders are amongst the best jump infantry in the game, Vypers became usable, and Kharandras is an absolute thug. Plus, the time-honored massed-scatter laser War Walker squadron got a huge jump in capability. Lots of lists up on Warseer have Eldrad hanging with a full squad of Wraithguard, and what can be done with that combo is quite scary to me as a Marine player.

If your opposition to Eldar being a threat revolves around the 12" range of standard catapults, here's a hint: don't use Guardians. I was going to drop my Marines and start playing my Eldar under 6th until I remembered that Chaos was coming out soon, so I've done a lot of theory with Eldar army building. It requires an adjustment from 5th, but they remain an excellent army if you know what you're doing. I for one remain wary whenever someone says "I play Eldar." So much of the fight you're in for depends entirely on just how that person built their list that its not even funny.

In summary, Eldar are not THE deadliest threat Marine players face (I think that goes to a well-designed 'cron list or maybe GKs), but they are a threat.

Eldar are not the push-overs to Marines that you seem to think they are. Rangers are know a ridiculously high threat because every Precision Shot they land is AP1. RAW, a squad of Avengers can blast you with Bladestorm and still fire Overwatch if you charge them. Holofields might be poop now, but Wave Serpents only got more useful since they can move 12" AND get a cover save AND fire both weapons. Eldrad is still the best psyker in the game, and has access to Divination with its super-Guide and censored.gif-your-saves spells. Reapers have a new lease on life, and have only gotten better at killing Marines thanks to focus fire, snap shots, and overwatch (especially if under Foreboding). Hawks can can absolutely murder vehicles with haywire grenades, Spiders are amongst the best jump infantry in the game, Vypers became usable, and Kharandras is an absolute thug. Plus, the time-honored massed-scatter laser War Walker squadron got a huge jump in capability. Lots of lists up on Warseer have Eldrad hanging with a full squad of Wraithguard, and what can be done with that combo is quite scary to me as a Marine player.

If your opposition to Eldar being a threat revolves around the 12" range of standard catapults, here's a hint: don't use Guardians. I was going to drop my Marines and start playing my Eldar under 6th until I remembered that Chaos was coming out soon, so I've done a lot of theory with Eldar army building. It requires an adjustment from 5th, but they remain an excellent army if you know what you're doing. I for one remain wary whenever someone says "I play Eldar." So much of the fight you're in for depends entirely on just how that person built their list that its not even funny.

you might just have done something that is very rare on the internet, you made me rethink my personal opinion :) ... now that you say it all like that, i can actually see what you mean with all this, i guess my "omg eldar suxxor! /cry " comes from the fact that i have a very themed exodite army, that unfortunatly is build around the idea of jetbikes (raptor riders) and massed light infantry (guardians), rather than transports and heavy shooting things... but the units you mention seems to have gotten a buff and be at atleast worthwhile (even if i think some of the things might be abit overpriced, still)

but anyho, let me not derail this into a discussion of non-powerarmored xenos

Necrons are pretty scary this edition. Their codex is built for it, thank you very much Ward, their characters are powerful and their units are hard to put down. The last game I played was my Grey Knights vs my friends Necrons at 1500pts and he annihilated me. He had a hard time getting past my 2+ but I couldn't put down enough of his Immortals to make a difference and his sheer volume of fire meant I was failing enough saves to push me back. When he started using my own Venerable Dreadnaught to shoot at my paladins I knew I was going to lose hard.

I wished I'd taken my Guard army. My gunline would have put enough shots on target and given me enough human shields to overwhelm him.

That said, Guard will be another strong army again but with most people playing MEQ's I think Necrons will be the ones no one wants to go up against at the club.

Eldar are always going to the mongers of cheese, it's in their nature! Even with an old Codex I hate having to face them; they are my nemesis!

Necrons are putting in a good showing of course, but they are still the new guys on the table and people haven't quite figuered them out yet in general. Playing against them you have to be decisive quickly because attrition will favour the Necron army more often or not.

Playing against them you have to be decisive quickly because attrition will favour the Necron army more often or not.

Agreed entirely. They need to be assaulted hard by things with power fists. As soon as possible.

Any skimmer with a character on it needs to die a fast screaming death. One that involves flaming wreckage.

Monoliths I tend to ignore though. They're rarely worth the effort it takes to destroy unless your opponent is doing something cheesy with three of them and some obscure repair/teleport rule.

Focused fire on single units to prevent them getting back up is always a winner. They're still going to eat your tanks alive though.

Dang - since nobody mentioned it (yet)...I'll go with the New Daemons....lots of AP3 template weapons, pavane to clump you, and ability to remove HPs from landraiders on simple 4+ rolls. They are very dangerous, certainly not unbeatable. But you have to be....careful...

Archived