DC Tycho

Seems to me that the changes to "rage" in 6th edition makes a Death Company squad a "must have" unit nowadays. I want to get your opinion on adding DC Tycho to that squad. With "rage", he has 7 attacks on the charge that ignore armor saves, a combi-melta that uses special ammo, 3 wounds, fleet, FNP, 2+ artificer armor, and a 4++ invul save. Thats pretty much the equivalent of attaching a dreadnaught to your DC squad that can issue and accept challenges (and will probably win them too). Discuss.

I love the idea of DC Tycho but I'm put off by his inability to join squads. The thought of him running off by himself and taking an instant death hit to the face is worrying.

I run "sane" Tycho at the moment and stuff him in with Sternguard until the time to attack comes then he runs off by himself.

• 3 months later...
Its pretty silly, they (GW) totally need to FAQ it and allow DC Tycho to join DC... I mean i get he shouldn't be allowed to join normal units but it makes complete sense for a DC leader to join a DC squad.

Normal Tycho still makes a good addition to a unit of non JP DC.

I guess DC tycho could be used as mini mephiston in a raven if the rest of your list is fairly agressive. By the time he arrives he should be able to charge already engaged units. He is after all quite dangerous both to squads and most ICs. Worst case he's a single model and should be able to hide.

Sadly I do not equate DC Tycho as a mini-Mephiston. The Lord of Death is unique in his amazingness because of his raw mobility; Wings plus Fleet means his range is unmatched. He can either load in tranports or fly on foot, since his 'jump pack' is a psychic ability making him really really versatile.

But not to derail the thead, lets keep this one about DC Tycho. For me, a tad of wishlisting would involve an FAQ to the rules which would allow his actual ability to join DC-- I'd droppod him in with good effect. Barring that, making him T6 (or at least T5) would greatly help out against his inability to join any squads.

It's just troublesome as it stands right now. He can't join squads, and he can't buy his own transport. Putting him in a Raven seems like a waste, since a Furioso would be better in many cases (plus cheaper). Relegation to on-foot, by himself with only T4 is just a major problem--- pretty much an insurmountable problem IMO.

The fact that he doesn't have two CCW just stings too. That fact hurts Regular Tycho the most, he only gets 4 attacks on the charge.

Sadly I do not equate DC Tycho as a mini-Mephiston. The Lord of Death is unique in his amazingness because of his raw mobility; Wings plus Fleet means his range is unmatched. He can either load in tranports or fly on foot, since his 'jump pack' is a psychic ability making him really really versatile.

But not to derail the thead, lets keep this one about DC Tycho. For me, a tad of wishlisting would involve an FAQ to the rules which would allow his actual ability to join DC-- I'd droppod him in with good effect. Barring that, making him T6 (or at least T5) would greatly help out against his inability to join any squads.

It's just troublesome as it stands right now. He can't join squads, and he can't buy his own transport. Putting him in a Raven seems like a waste, since a Furioso would be better in many cases (plus cheaper). Relegation to on-foot, by himself with only T4 is just a major problem--- pretty much an insurmountable problem IMO.

The fact that he doesn't have two CCW just stings too. That fact hurts Regular Tycho the most, he only gets 4 attacks on the charge.

We all know that DC Tycho is really sub par.

However, If we do want to use him for the sake of variety we look at what he can do, not what we wish he was capable of.

He a single infantry unit, so shooting isn't going to be his main job.

Lack of EW and T4 means that he should be kept away from massed low ap, high S fire/attacks, just like Mephiston.

4-6 WS7 I5 attacks together with 2+ and ignoring armor makes him a monster in challenges for low and midlevel characters. Throw him at a tac squad or equivalent and there's no good way to handle him.

Being a single model unit can be troublesome if going up against a unit with multiple characters, placement and support will be important.

Archived