Jump troops, robed or not?

he_plays_guitar

I'm finishing my army, and I've come across a dilemma. My entire Dark Angels army is robed, with the exception of a few bikers. Every single model is robed including hoods. I've come to the point where I'd like to include Assault Marines with jump packs, but would a Dark Angel wear robes using jump packs? I've blue tacked some jump packs onto robed marines, but they look kind of goofy because the robed marine models are super stationary. Assault Marines should look more dynamic, right? But if I use normal assault troops in power armor without robes, they look naked next to all my robed marines.

I was thinking of maybe using Black Templar torsos to at least keep some sort of cloth or tabard on the marine to tie in the robe theme, what do you guys think? Alternatively there is a robed marine model that is running, but having all the Assault Troops as the same model would be ugly and boring. I don't have alot of other ideas, I'd like some input and opinions, please. Thanks a bunch!

Its a matter of preference really. I myself think that devastors and assault marines are a little bit silly when robed. Imagine a marine making a jump robes fluffing left and right the fabric gets contact with the fan of the jetpack and he becomes a fireball... Not that powerarmor would take damage but...

Same with heavy weapons: OooOpss....I vented some plasmawaste on the robe and i am on fire....

Anyway i know i make things tragic but as i said its a matter of preference. In a game where models mount half a cathedral at their backs whatever you do is justifiable.

Morning brothers,

I only have my assualt sergent robed to fit in with the rest of the company. As with the previous posts, the running robed body does look silly however with the rest of the squad around it the model doesnt stand out that much.

Same with heavy weapons: OooOpss....I vented some plasmawaste on the robe and i am on fire....

New DA rule - "Stop, Drop and Roll!" - If robed model is hit by any incendiary-type attacks, including "Gets Hot!", roll 1d6. On a roll of 1, the model is out of play for the following turn as he rolls around on the ground trying to put out his robe. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

:D

For what it's worth - my assault squad sergeant wears robes. I think it looks cool and if you do too then go for it. I think it's safe to assume they've developed a method to keep from starting their attire on fire. :lol:

I think it's safe to assume they've developed a method to keep from starting their attire on fire. :tu:

Exactly, or QFT in the web vernacular :). Basically, if you think it looks cool then do it.

Just imagining the actual physics of Robes, Tabards, Lion-cloths, Towls, etc, in my minds eye. Might look good until something gets sucked in-to the intake of the jet pack.

But they are your toys, do with them as you wish, all that matters is that you like them.

I've got some robed JP veterans (count as vanguard or veterans in the TF ruleset) and plan to add more.

Hell, there's even the squad Alajos picture (before promotion perhaps) from the HH Collected Visions.

Personally, I htink a lot of the robed marine stuff stems from the Order and Caliban, whereas I don;t think they would be adopted so widely amongst terrans.

Now, of course we're in the realm of tadiotion and whatnot, so it's anybodies guess.

Personally, myh new additions (being HH era based) will depend on origin:

terran - no robes

caliban - robes aplenty!

Cheers

P.S. cool use of the metl minis ellis

I have only two marines with Jumppacks that wear robes, one of the is a custom Chaplain, the other one is just random Marine. The problem i have is that, the robes seem to static for a Assault Marine (except the running version). If i would have had more robed bodies back when i built them i might have used 2 per squad.

My Assault Marines dont care if they caught fire, perhaps the even set them aflame on their own just to look cooler when assaulting.

I definitely don't put robes on my assault marines with jump packs. Doing this makes no practical sense and I don't believe a soldier would choose to do it since it would only hinder their choice of equipment. I will however use small shoulder or loin banners and also hooded heads. When I get a little better with green stuff I'm going to mold some hoods that are thrown back or are otherwise in the act of falling to simulate the faster movement. Sadly DA assault marines with jump packs really don't seem very useful when you look at our Ravenwing options and the fact that we have no special bonuses for these types of units. They're neither stronger, cheaper, nor allowed any special equipment. That's the one thing I always hated. We're a Knightly chapter of stand and shoot Knights, while Blood Angels get all the cool assault rules and they come from an industrial waste world that should by all rights make them the shootier chapter. Never made sense to me.

"oh im sorry, did someone say , jumpack... robes... look.. silly"

Yes brother, and forgive me but i am still not convinced. The models have AWESOME PAINT JOBS! but that doesnt mitigate the silliness IMHO.

It rather makes it more obvious.Sorry again but its just my opinion.

I think they only look as silly as super heroes.

I've had this same dilemma in my mind. I considered modeling chains onto the bottoms of the robes to keep them from fluttering up too much.

The tabard idea is probably the best compromise though, or only a short loin cloth hanging. You can incorporate the appropriate colors to give a sense of visual unity without going full robes and raising a lot of questions about getting tangled in your own robes.

If your opponent insisted in you failing your Dangerous Terrain rolls on 1's AND 2's, haha, it might be within their rights. :)

I couldn't imagine a Guardians of the Covenant assault squad NOT being robed. Could you? Really?

The robes have some 40K-resistance in them. Otherwise, nobody would wear robes, tabards, cloaks, etc of any kind.

Besides, it's the Time of the Fall of Mankind. With all the strange and eldritchy things that abound in it, 21st century realism can pretty much be forgotten. Unless one wants to build a Fashionista Astartes. :)

of course, I'm jaded. I save more realism in my models for Field of Glory games. This. Is. WARHAMMER 40K.

Cheers,

Archangel

I'm planning on Black Templar styled tabbards, at least for the sergeant and corporal. I cannot bring myself to give up the monastic/knightly look, but agree that full robes would probably be a bit much... my main problem is I'm not sure how to paint the jump packs themselves, I suspect the Angels of Redemption party per vale vert and argent is going to look wacky on them.

21st century realism can pretty much be forgotten. Unless one wants to build a Fashionista Astartes. :)

Uhmm...I thought power armor and plasmaguns have not been invented yet ^^

Hehe, I am all for the pageant! OFC all contestants will wear helmets because the ugly scars will make them loose points.

21st century realism can pretty much be forgotten. Unless one wants to build a Fashionista Astartes. :)

Uhmm...I thought power armor and plasmaguns have not been invented yet ^^

THAT'S why my neighbors always look at me funny when I aim my plasma pistol at them screaming "Die, Heretic!".

They're always staring. Good thing I have my space marine helmet on...

Hehe, I am all for the pageant! OFC all contestants will wear helmets because the ugly scars will make them loose points.

I'm going to name one of my Land Raiders "Priscilla" now. She's FREEEM of the desert, you know. :P

Archived