Ravens and Deep Strike?

Morticon

Vehicles that arrive by Deepstrike are considered to have moved at Cruising Speed - P.36

You need to declare if you will be in hover mode or zooming for flyers with the hover type - P.81

If Zooming, cruising speed is 18.00001-36 inches - P.80

Since Deepstrike counts as cruising speed, you will not be wrecked.

Vehicles that arrive by Deepstrike are considered to have moved at Cruising Speed - P.36

You need to declare if you will be in hover mode or zooming for flyers with the hover type - P.81

Wait, say for example that you have a drop pod with locator beacon. You could declare that you are deep striking in zoom mode. Place the SR within 6" of the drop pod, face any direction, fire 4 weapons at full BS and still enjoy the protection of zoom mode. Could you also do "skies of blood"?

Wait, say for example that you have a drop pod with locator beacon. You could declare that you are deep striking in zoom mode. Place the SR within 6" of the drop pod, face any direction, fire 4 weapons at full BS and still enjoy the protection of zoom mode. Could you also do "skies of blood"?

1) Yes.

2) No, because you have to place disembarking models on a point the stormraven moved over - only place the stormraven moved over is where it currently is, and models can't share spaces.

What about the flier rule that says we must come on zooming?

What about the flier rule that says we must come on zooming?

There isn't one as far as I can see Morticon. page 81, the little box in the bottom right about "hover mode" says before each movement phase you nominate whether you're zooming or hovering and it specifies that that applies to coming in from reserves too.

Fluffologically speaking I can make it work... more of a ballistic re-entry to the planet from orbit instead of a glide approach from a forward base? I could see the front or bottom of the SR fitted with ablative heat panels that blow away at the last minute. With the speed of the approach I have no problem seeing it in Zoom mode.

But this is a very interesting thread. I don't have the rulebook with me (at work). What happens with a flier if it scatters (say no LB) onto difficult/impassible terrain or a unit? Seems to me there is a rule for that :lol:

well, zooming flyers don't take dangerous terrain tests and are allowed to finish their moves in impassable terrain so it sounds to me like a very reliable way of getting a flyer into a perfect position immediately.

That sounds rather dodgy and I'm not convinced.

/puts on his lawyer hat

-"[Deep Striking] vehicles... count as having moved at cruising speed." (p36)

-"In the movement phase during which they arrive, deep striking units may not move any further, other than to disembark a deep striking Transport vehicle if they are in one." (p36)

Disembark, at cruising speed... do you see where I am going with this?

-"A unit... can disembark... so long as the vehicle has not moved more than 6 inches." (p79)

-"A vehicle that travels more than 6"... is said to be moving at Cruising Speed." (p71)

plus

"If a zooming flyer is forced to move less than 18" in its own Movement phase, it is automatically wrecked." (p80)

Ergo:

The transport counts-as having moved at cruising speed, but it doesn't mean you have moved 6 inches (otherwise you couldn't disembark). Therefore a counts-as Cruising speed for flyers doesn't mean you have moved 18 inches. If a flyer deep striked (deep struck?) in zoom mode it would crash, because it didn't move 18 inches.

Gentlemen of the jury, I think you would have to Deep Strike in hover mode (unless it is a kamikaze deep strike).

But p80 says:

A Zooming flyer has a combat speed of 18 inches and a cruising speed of 36 inches"

So I would say that a zooming flyer arriving by deep strike is assumed to have moved 18-36".

EDIT: Oh, wait. I think you're talking about a conflict between Transports and Zooming Flyers. In which case I don't have an answer :/

But p80 says:
A Zooming flyer has a combat speed of 18 inches and a cruising speed of 36 inches"

So I would say that a zooming flyer arriving by deep strike is assumed to have moved 18-36".

EDIT: Oh, wait. I think you're talking about a conflict between Transports and Zooming Flyers. In which case I don't have an answer :/

At it's core, it says the opposite of what you are saying. Despite moving at cruising speed, the flyer has not moved 18 inches. If counts as moving cruising speed meant you really did move, then you wouldn't be able to exit a DSing Drop Pod because it counts-as moving at cruising speed.

At it's core, it says the opposite of what you are saying. Despite moving at cruising speed, the flyer has not moved 18 inches. If counts as moving cruising speed meant you really did move, then you wouldn't be able to exit a DSing Drop Pod because it counts-as moving at cruising speed.

I suspect the reason they've said Zooming Fliers are moving at Cruising speed when DSing is to stop them DSing in in Hover mode and getting maximum benefit from the guns straightaway.

A bit like how DSing troops can't move or assault (In most cases), only shoot.

i.e. It's a balance thing.

That sounds rather dodgy and I'm not convinced.

/puts on his lawyer hat

-"[Deep Striking] vehicles... count as having moved at cruising speed." (p36)

-"In the movement phase during which they arrive, deep striking units may not move any further, other than to disembark a deep striking Transport vehicle if they are in one." (p36)

Disembark, at cruising speed... do you see where I am going with this?

-"A unit... can disembark... so long as the vehicle has not moved more than 6 inches." (p79)

-"A vehicle that travels more than 6"... is said to be moving at Cruising Speed." (p71)

plus

"If a zooming flyer is forced to move less than 18" in its own Movement phase, it is automatically wrecked." (p80)

Ergo:

The transport counts-as having moved at cruising speed, but it doesn't mean you have moved 6 inches (otherwise you couldn't disembark). Therefore a counts-as Cruising speed for flyers doesn't mean you have moved 18 inches. If a flyer deep striked (deep struck?) in zoom mode it would crash, because it didn't move 18 inches.

Gentlemen of the jury, I think you would have to Deep Strike in hover mode (unless it is a kamikaze deep strike).

May it please the court, I present Exhibit A - Deep Striking Necron Scythes who cannot elect to hover.

Think of the poor Necron children, with their fathers forced into undertaking kamikaze Deepstrike missions. Their chance of survival was always slim, but to take that away and force instant death on arrival?

How monstrous :)

May it please the court, I present Exhibit A - Deep Striking Necron Scythes who cannot elect to hover.

Think of the poor Necron children, with their fathers forced into undertaking kamikaze Deepstrike missions. Their chance of survival was always slim, but to take that away and force instant death on arrival?

How monstrous :(

They are rolling to return to un-life on their reanimation protocols; I'm not impressed with their supposed sacrifice. :P

This DSing flyers does seem to provide an area where GW didn't provide much explanation. They promised a FAQ update by the end of the summer. Hopefully this will be an area they clear up.

Archived