The impossible challenge?

Rottimus

I recently played a 2500 point game agains the necrons.... using BA.

It went well, was really reallly tough, I had to grind the win out...

One of the most annoying things was fighting a Necron overlord (not sure about stats) but he had 2+ save, 3+ invul and a warscythe.

He slashed his way through an assault squad and was finally finished off by corbulo...

I can truly say that the necron overlord is nasty challenger, to get past the 2+ save you need powerfist or axe which means you strike last.

By then the lord's usually chopped you down. Corbulo and Tycho are the only ones that can really stand chance.

or am I missing something? Maybe a Captain with storm shield and thunder hammer?

I recently played a 2500 point game agains the necrons.... using BA.

It went well, was really reallly tough, I had to grind the win out...

One of the most annoying things was fighting a Necron overlord (not sure about stats) but he had 2+ save, 3+ invul and a warscythe.

He slashed his way through an assault squad and was finally finished off by corbulo...

I can truly say that the necron overlord is nasty challenger, to get past the 2+ save you need powerfist or axe which means you strike last.

By then the lord's usually chopped you down. Corbulo and Tycho are the only ones that can really stand chance.

or am I missing something? Maybe a Captain with storm shield and thunder hammer?

Yeah the Captain with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield would do the job, tho it wouldn't surprise me if they were both still standing at the end of the battle trying to get past each others 3++ save.

The most annoying Necron Overlord is the on equiped with those nasty "mind-control device" that forces you to take a LD check with 3d6. If you fail you have to attack your own unit.

Thuderhammer/Stormshield is a good combo but Necron Lord will strike first.

The best thing you can do is "neutralizing" him, or it according to your opinion on Necrons :eek

Just use your sergeant for the challange. He will probably die but the Necron Overlord will be unable to touch your unit. Your remaining models should have no problem in dealing with most of the Necron models. Once you win the assault their low I will mean you will problably destroy the whole unit by sweeping advance.

It would have been more annoying had he been on a Barge, those Bargelords are just truly horrible.

You will get some of these models running around in combat challenging people. A thing to consider is that as the Lord is I2, you could potentially decline, take the one model not attacking hit, and then hope you're able to focus a ton of attacks on him to force through his armour save.

Not getting in to combat with him is also good, which should be generally easy unless he's on a barge, as he's quite slow.

Necron players tend to take a Destroyer Lord if they're going the Mindshackle Scarabs route, in order to ensure they get close to you. Mindshackle Scarabs are seriously annoying, but they're actually a reason to take naked sergeants. Challenge or accept a challenge with that Lord and you move the sergeant to base contact. if he fails his Ld check on 3d6, he does d3 hits to himself, only half wound, and you still get an armor save versus the hits. That is, of course, so long as the Lord doesn't chop you in half with his Warscythe. You do only give up 1 wound to combat res, so hopefully the rest of your squad was able to punch the other Necrons to death and win combat to give you the shot at a Sweep.

It's certainly in your interests to let a poor Sergeant cop it. You can't even instant kill them with power fists!

Just wade into his squad with your Captain whilst your Sergeant snackrifices himself for the cause.

Just use your sergeant for the challange. He will probably die but the Necron Overlord will be unable to touch your unit. Your remaining models should have no problem in dealing with most of the Necron models. Once you win the assault their low I will mean you will problably destroy the whole unit by sweeping advance.

I had good success with this as well in the one game I've played against necrons so far. Same nasty overlord, but I broke them and caught him in a sweeping advance (after the sgt had died, of course)

Standard Court Lords are only 1 Wound though, so they do die if you can get an AP2 attack in.

The most luck I've had hunting Lords is actually by shooting. Knock out his squad, then hit him with a multi-melta or four. Had a game the other day when a Destroyer Lord (Weave, MSS, Warscythe) went down to my Exorcist, got back up again, then went down due to Overwatch fire from my SCS meltaguns.

So yes: The best way to kill Necron Lords and Overlords is to get them on their own and gang up on them.

Hit them with the malediction to reroll successful saves and then hit them with a demolisher cannon

Are you being serious? :huh:

The Malediction you refer to is a one in six power on a Psychic table Marines have no access too. Unless you mean Null Zone? Which is fair enough but it's still not guaranteed and more importantly won't help the challenge situation the OP was speaking about.

Though to be fair, hitting Necron units with Demolisher Cannons is still a good option, regardless whether you kill the Overlord!

Though to be fair, hitting Necron units with Demolisher Cannons is still a good option, regardless whether you kill the Overlord!

Let's face it, there aren't many things that "shoot it with a Demolisher Cannon" isn't a good answer to

When in doubt, shoot a really big gun at your enemy!

AKA a Demolisher Cannon

Or if willing use a IG allie and take a Executioner Cannon Leman Russ with Heavy 3 Str7 AP2 Blast weapon that does not get hot.

AKA a Demolisher Cannon

Zedrenael can I applaud you on your dedication to insanely huge guns? But yes, there's nothing that can't be solved by big enough guns. And if they don't solve it, you didn't use guns that were big enough.

In a pinch a Librarian might have a better chance of killing Overlords than a Captain, going first with the force weapon could do it. Either that or Dreadnaught if you're willing to take the risk of losing it.

Funny this came up because I played against this recently-

Necron Lord- Warscythe, mindshakle scarabs, septermal weave, res orb, phase shifter, phylactery

- 220pts

Royal Court-

2 CrypteK (Harbringer of Despair-70, and Harbringer of Eternity- 70)- 140pts

4 Necron Lords- Warscythe, mindshakle scarabs, septermal weave, phase shifter (120x4=480)

- 840 pts total/ 720 if 3 lords

Its the ultimate challange and melee unit. You actually can take it down by moving away from it and shooting it then charging it with a nice melee HQ and melee unit. However if it catches you you are dead meat if you don't pick it apart with a one two punch type counter, all in your own turn. If you put out wounds on the whole unit they cannot get up again. Also with the new wound allocation from shooting and how melee works in 6th you would be amazed at how far a 2+/3++ can soak up those wounds.

When you shoot them make sure you put your bolter shots wounds first, then your high AP guns- you may get lucky and put wounds through to the weaker crypteks.

Actually, Brother Evar, sorry to burst your bubble but all Royal Court members and the Overlord have the Everliving rule, so it's the one unit in the game that can get back up even if you wipe it out completely.

Also, for another 40 points the entire unit becomes suicide to assault against with the Harbinger of the Storm's Lightning Field that punches like a successful strike from Imotekh and gives another 4 S5 Overwatch shots.

That said, my experience has shown that this is a better Court for both Challenges and all-round nastiness;

Nemesor Zahndrek (Comes with Staff of Light, Sempiternal Weave, Phase Shifter, Res Orb and Counter-Attack or Furious Charge (or one of several other rules, but those are most useful here) while denying these same rules to one enemy unit)

Court;

2 Lords (Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Sempiternal Weave, Ressurection Orb)

2 Lords (Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Sempiternal Weave, Phase Shifter)

1 Cryptek (Harbinger of the Storm, Lightning Field)

1 Cryptek (Harbinger of Destruction, Gaze of Flame, Solar Pulse)

1 Cryptek (Harbinger of Eternity, Chronometron, Timesplinter Cloak)

Vargaard Obyron

This comes to 965 points - just over a hundred points more than the previous suggestion - but with significantly more power and survivability. Obyron takes over the role of mobility from the VeilTek, whilst allowing the unit to teleport out of unfavourable combats (should it even encounter such a thing), whilst the Gaze of Flame and Lightning Field discourage enemy assaults meaning that Zahndrek can switch to offence almost immediately, causing Obyron and the four Court Lords to Instant Death any Marine character not made of iron with their S8 Warscythes (S5 + 2 for Scythe +1 Furious Charge). If you want to prune the unit down, you can drop a Ressurection Lord and the Solar Pulse - the Pulse is only included because most Necron players refuse to leave home without it.

On the other hand, both these Courts are Deathstars in their basest form. Very, very tough Deathstars with unmatched mobility and character-killing ability, but Death Stars none the less. Admittedly you can't Tarpit them with anything (even if they end up fighting a mob of 50 guardsmen they can just teleport away), but I'm sure there are some anti-deathstar tactics that will work... ^^;

You mean like a Demolisher cannon?

B)

This +1

And may I add, 2 demolishers works wonders too.

Or there's always the option of three Demolisher Cannon.

If something is worth killing, it's worth overkilling.

And it's a unit of 3+ Invulnerables backed up by an extra 4+save if you happen to kill something. Demolishers have pretty low odds of doing a lot. I mean, better than most anything else, but still not too much.

I think that gives a single Demolisher shot roughly a 50% chance of killing 1 thing. Admittedly, it IS very fuzzy math. Hard to mathhammer scatter dice and varying model stats.

I think taking down a Royal Court armed to the teeth is more a matter of forcing them to take as many saves as possible, not slightly impairing their saves with single expensive gigantic shots of doom.

I think you're more likely to mow them down with a Crusader, a Predator Destructor, or Heavy Bolter Devastators than a Vindicator.

Null zone EQ. Every time I've played vs necron lords and crypteks, null zone has been a very important element. Null zone gives you the cheapest best powerful boost for any SM army vs 2+/3++ deathstars.

To really add to the discussion - ally with your local friendly IG artillery regiment...a cheap IG HQ, cheap veteran unit, and a squadron of 3 basilisks (or better) is an option to 3 vindis. kaBLAMBLAMBLAM....

Archived