Anti-air for biker armies?

So if we're staying true to fluff, White Scars armies don't have dreadnoughts (ruling out the rifleman/flakka dread) and the idea of a hit-and-run strikeforce bringing along an aegis line with a gun emplacement is silly. What does that leave for bike-heavy mobile armies? Has anyone had experience shooting at flyers with heavy bolters, multimeltas, typhoon launchers, and assault cannons? How do they fare? Would it be worthwhile to bring along a landraider for twin-linked lascannons? Or a combipred? What are your thoughts on how to fend off airborne jerks while staying mobile and true to the background?

Storm Talon?

Definitely. Mine (w/ TL las for 150 pts) has been doing quite good, other than one game against a lucky necron player (20 shots, 3 hits, 2 glances, crash) its been a good anti-air/anti tank hunter for me. Plus, if someone does try to outsmart you by getting behind it, you just drop into hoverstrike, pull a Crazy Ivan, and blow them out of the sky.

Since with bikes as troops you likely have at least one FA slot, you have room on the force org chart. If you're running speeders, I recommend doing twin-landspeeder squadrons, between the improved squadron rules and jink saves, there's no real downside.

If you don't want the 'talon, the best bet is probably a assault cannon speeder or LR crusader. you'll need the torrent of shots and twinlinking to bring down flyers dependably.

I think the answer is this: maneuverability.

With their speed, bikes are among the best units at getting themselves positioned so that flyers are unable to bring guns to bear on them. Plus it seems very fluffy for a pack of White Scars to kite around enemy flyers, eventually forcing them to either collide or fly off the board evasively.

With their speed, bikes are among the best units at getting themselves positioned so that flyers are unable to bring guns to bear on them. Plus it seems very fluffy for a pack of White Scars to kite around enemy flyers, eventually forcing them to either collide or fly off the board evasively.

Manditory "Holy Grail" quote: "Run away!!!" :tu:

Unfortunately, the only one that actually works on is the ork flyers.

All the others have some way of switching to Fast skimmers and turning around. Of course, then they are no longer flyers and you can hit them normally, while exclaiming "That was my Plan All Along!".

All the others have some way of switching to Fast skimmers and turning around. Of course, then they are no longer flyers and you can hit them normally, while exclaiming "That was my Plan All Along!".

I'm away from books, but I thought that all of the Necron fliers did not have Hover mode as well.

Further, if they're dropping into hover mode, they're already dead and a huge points sink - they pay quite the premium to be hit on 6's and move at their speeds, giving that up for a turn is a huge advantage.

That was my... oh.

Archived