Vanilla Marines Honour Guard 2+ tactic

Disciples of Iron

I'm still getting to grips with the new rules of 6th edition, but one thing I noticed and it's really struck home to me.

Power weapons as a majority will be striking at AP3, there is a distinct lack of AP2 close quarter weaponry, one can assume this because powerswords will be the most common choice next to the second choice of powerfists, we can expect the old ratio to be for every 2 or 3 power weapons to 1 powerfist, It's the old precision over power question, do I want to hit at a higher Initiative with low damage or do I want to hit at a lower Initiative with high damage, most would choose the former over the latter due to the amount of troops people need to chop through and the minimal amount of tougher unit's to destroy, gathered alternate options of the power axe/Maul is the best at both worlds as it's the cheapness of a powersword while giving a slight boast in damage at the cost of low initiative. yes; I didn't mention the force weapons due to the fact there will be minimal amounts of them on the feild, even still they grey knights mostly feild force swords being AP3 with the common power-sword.

So with the lack of AP2 weaponry like we used to have in CC, I thought fielding 2+ armour save units might be a wise idea and the first thing that came to mind was honour guard, for ages I wanted to fields 3 squads of these with Calgar without the fear of them dying in CC, we have a choice to remain in combat or leave it by choosing to run away with calgar, and then not get sweeped away with the enemy due to They Shall Not Know Death.

2+ Save is great now in this edition, eat krak missiles all day, avoid most power attacks, resist that rapid fire spam.

The only real weakessnesses I see here is the occational powerfist, MC, Las-Cannon Spam, Plasma and Melta, but with Honour Guard Spam you should take a few casualities and have plenty left over to do the emperiors justice upon the enemy.

What's your thoughts?

Archived