Imperial Guard allies for my Black Templar crusade

Sir_Isenhar

Reading the rules it seems this is the place to discuss common human tactics which I am kind unaware being a hardcore templar player ;)

Seeing the 6th editon come out I purchased the Imperial guard codex and I want to make a ally in the amount of about 500points in a 1999pt Army list of Black Templar.

Basically seeing as Templars have zero Anti air and flyers plus there lack of phsycic tolerence I found Imperial Guard to be a great choice for allies seeing as they fit in my campaign aswell!

I would like your help into making a strong 500 point or less force to fill the holes of the templar force and

they would sit on the objectives while my templar crusade would race forward to Close combat everything to death!

I was thinking the 2 following options :

a )

-- Company command with master of ordance ( not sure if he is worth it but seems cool ) and officer of the fleet

-- Infantry platoon with 2 10 man squads with 1 lascannon each

-- 2 Vendetta gunships

-- Guardsman Marbo

-- Flak tank battery

;)

-- Company command with master of ordance ( not sure if he is worth it but seems cool ) and officer of the fleet

-- Veteran squad with lascannon

-- 2 Vendetta gunships

-- Guardsman Marbo

-- Flak tank battery

Also I would like to put a Aegis defence line with a Quadgun or Icarus Lascannon.

What do you think ? I want to have a sort final decision before I play test so I can but the models.

As I want to get the death korps of krieg models from FW and every model that I wont use is a waste as they are quite expencive...

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing something different.

CCS

Infantry platoon with PCS, IS, IS, HWS 3 Lascannons, HWS 3 Lascannons

That leaves 80 pts to upgrade your squads.

The kicker is Take It Down Orders given to the Lascannon squads, That should be at least 1 hit a turn with lots of scoring units in the back field.

i have been running 360 points of guard with my wolves.

CCS w/ master of ordinace and auto cannon

Vet squad w/Harker, 3 Plasma guns

Aegis with quad gun

i like these guys for a few reasons.

1 its a good way to get the large blast template short of tanks.

2 the vet squad basically takes the place of scouts

3 since you can put the aegis anywhere in your deployment zone you can put those infiltrating vets in range for the 3-6 plasma shots as well as heavy bolter (put one of those extra vets on the quad gun. 10 str 7, 6 which are ap2)

4 best of all is that they all have WS 4 instead of WS 3

I have found that auto canons are not only cheaper than las canons but can still kill most things through glances.

that would leave 140 for other nasty things like vendetas or hydra flak tanks...

The Master of Ordnance is worth his weight in gold. ^^

Autocannons over Las almost every single time - they're simply better, point-for-point, and you can take lascannons in abundance on your Marines (the Marines' higher BS helps close the gap between them and the ACs).

If you're after large blasts, you can't go wrong with infiltrating Veterans with a demo charge. Well, no - you can easily go very wrong with them, but if you're not stupid they can certainly dish out the damage you need them to with that one attack alone. This is quite expensive for a regular Guard squad though.

If you go for an Infantry Platoon over a Veteran squad, it's definitely worth it to invest in a couple of support squads - Heavy Weapon Squads with mortars are cheap out the box and can lay down a lot of hurt on light infantry, especially the kind who like to hide behind a character with a shield because they're Barrage weapons.

My final word on the Guard is ratlings. Ratlings are incredibly good. For 10 points a model, you get an infiltrating BS4 sniper rifle that has a 2+ cover save in a ruin and can redeploy quickly and easily due to Move Through Cover, making them incredibly difficult to pin down. They will take up your allied Elites slot, but what were you going to put in there - Stormtroopers? ;)

I know everyone is saying Master of Ordnance but it always scatters regardless of a hit icon or not. And then it scatters even farther.

Right now things to consider for IG allies IMO are Infantry Platoons to augment what is lacking in scoring units for your army. For 130 points for a infantry squad you get 25 boots on the ground compared to the 7 SM. They are also killer in getting heavy weapons teams for 90 points you get 3 ML with 6 wounds while for the same amount of points you get the dev squad with 5 wounds and no ML. Just saying.

Then there are Hydras which can shoot down flyers much easier than anything short of a flyer in a SM army.

Eh, it's a 1/3 chance of only scattering 2d6-4, with a 2/3 chance of scattering 3d6-4 as long as you have line of sight. If you don't, it can be wildly inaccurate, but since most armies have to stick together to be effective you'll probably hit something.

• 3 weeks later...
Did anybody try out a manticore missle tank? That one seems quite nasty.

I have included this in my standard army now. The reason is that it gets D3 barrage shots per turn. It does not have to see what it is shooting at and if you roll a hit it will stick and then flip from there. Plus with it being Ordanace it is S10 for the whole template. Now with it being Barrage the closest model is the one closest to the dot being the orgin of the shot not from the vehicle. So you can instant kill Belial like I did in a single squad just by having the template centered on him. This is something that I will always consider when making IG my allies.

If you are looking for guard AA support and don't mind FW models (I assume you don't since you want to use DKoK figures) then the best air support in the game is a vulture with twin linked punisher cannons. This will give you an average of 18 hits per turn (at BS 4 vs ground targets with vector dancer) and vector dancer will easily allow you to target the rear armour of any vehicles or aircraft.

For troops I would go with the CCS and a 20 man platoon. You should still have enough left over to get a vendetta as well, giving you three air-mobile TL Lascannons. That should be enough AA support for anyone!!!!

Archived