The AOBR Dreadnought in 6th Edition

appiah4

I have an unassembled AOBR dreadnought on Sprues. I'm really not sure about what to do with it. I have a variety of Dreadnought weapon options on spare, so I can build it as any of the following:

A. Dreadnought with Multi-Melta / HB (AOBR)

B. Dreadnought with Assault Cannon / HB or HF

B. Death Company Dreadnought with Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun

C. Furioso Dreadnought with Blood Fists, Meltagun, Flamer

D. Furioso Dreadnought with Frag Cannon, Heavy Flamer

Which to build?

Kind Request: Please don't reply 'magnetize' I've had nothing but trouble with magnetized Dreadnought arms. Moreover, I can't magnetize into a DC dread.

Depends on who you are playing against.

I've had great success with a DC dread with blood talons.

str 7 on the charge, 6 attacks which allow you to take more attacks for all unsaved wounds.

I've mowed thru a tactical squad in one go!

New rage rules make it amazin, you can now dictate where it goes.

Beware. it's a fire magnet.... which also can be useful.

I love the Frag Cannon in the new edition =]

Yup, despite vehicles being a bit more fragile now this variant was improved by just about every change in the rules when it comes to shooting. Ap - no longer being glancing only is a nice boost I think most people have overlooked.

Other than that most enemy units pretty much have to shoot it, so enemy reaction is predictable. Very few units in the game will happily charge into the 2-3 templates and AV13 that is immune to krak grenades.

Multimeltas are now pretty awesome, so I would lend that some thought. Even outside melta range it can glance heavy vehicles, pen light ones (and probably wreck) and snipe characters due to its mobility.

The Heavy support dread will now be a scoring unit in Big Guns Never Tire (BGNT) which is important.

What else do you usually play with?

If Stormraven, the Death Company Dread is nice.

If you have Drop Pods and an aggressive army, the Fragger is great.

If neither, go the cheap and cheerful Heavy Support Dread, I like the Assault Cannon myself, BA get tasty Melta on a lot of other places. Scores in one of the missions as Xenith said.

Peg size maybe?

AoBr, regular and furioso all have different holes/pegs for the arms.

I've magnetised them by cutting off the pegs and putting the magnet where it used to be. Opposite magnet fits in the hole where the peg would have gone.

Didn't mean to derail this as a magnetization thread, especially since you said you didn't care for it.

I need to consider the frag cannon version myself, especially with the changes. So far I seem to run mine with BT almost exclusively, although I have been running less dreads lately for some reason.

I'm not sure dreads are that good in games now or ever! They have always been to easy to kill by shooting and now that they can also be glanced to death in H2H it makes them very hard to use and far less useful. That being said Dreadnoughts look awesome! I have 8 of them and I'm looking forward to building even more. My aim is to make a full Tactical squad of Dreadnoughts to run in Apocalypse games. I know I can't make them a squadron, but can you imagine 10 dreads lead by a libby dread charging down your front lines........ I know thats no help for your original question.

If I had to use a dread in this edition out of that list it'd be a Furioso with a frag cannon and blood fist. Templates get rid of cover saves and the weapon is rending that's AP2 boys and girls! It would have to go in a pod or 'raven to make sure you got some use out of it. I have been using a Libby Furioso in a few practice games with divination as a force multiplier it's worked well, but only when the enemy hasn't brought any anti-tank weapons and I've escaped rending hit from 'Nids in combat.

The problem I've had with magnets is that they tend to swivel too much, I couldn't manage to find a decently strong magnet that will fit in a hole about the same size as the peg.

I'm probably gonna build it as a default AOBR dreadnought, scoring is nice.

I'll turn my old plastic dreadnought (TLC/L at the moment) into a Fragrioso though. Actually, I'll just paint up Assault Cannon/CCW and Fragrioso arms for it, so I can just swap things around at will. Hallelujah for same peg sizes :devil:

What is great is that the Frag Cannon dread can deep strike in pod and then disembark 6" and then just lay down some hate.

Yes, together with high volume of fire, high S, auto hits and you getting to pick how the order for saves are resolved it's great for torrenting out key models with 1 W or T3.

Archived