Witchfire psychic powers

Came across these questions in my most recent game and thought I would open it to the floor.

Main question is... If your witchfire power has no weapon profile, do you still roll to hit? Let me be more specific...

Witchfire psychic powers clearly describe 'rolling to hit' (rulebook pg. 69) unless otherwise described. Several of the powers describe causing wounds - e.g. telepathy primaris power psychic shriek - Do you roll to hit for this (i.e. once to 'hit' the unit) or bypass that because it causes wounds?

Equally, focused witchfire powers , like puppet master, which have no weapon profile but cause an effect on the unit - Do they roll to hit? Presumably so as you treat them as standard witchfire (i.e. largely shooting) rules unless otherwise stated? Applies to other powers which cause wounds or toughness tests too, such as haemorrhage or spontaneous combustion, though they have some inherent inaccuracy caused by the leadership test itself (pg. 69).

Would really appreciate clarification here... Made a massive difference to our game as my opponents 4 broodlords were chucking powers around like it was christmas even though they are ballistic skill 0! Can you even use a witchfire power if you are BS0?

Nos

Just to chime in. Some Witchfire powers don't need to roll to hit, but it's clearly stated in the rules when that's the case. Blast and Template powers are just like normal shooting, and some of the Witchfire subtypes have it mentioned in their rules.

Conceptually Psychic Screech still needs to roll to hit, but because it's talks about suffering wounds you won't need to roll for them at least.

Regarding overwatch, as Pingo says it clearly states that they're manifested in the Psyker's shooting phase so there's no way it could happen.

For thoroughness, basic witchfire and focussed witchfire powers need to roll to hit (unless stated otherwise).

Beam, nova and maelstrom powers don't roll to hit (unless stated otherwise).

As others have said, the rules state that witchfire powers can only be used in the psyker's shooting phase, and so won't be able to be used in overwatch as that'll be in the opposing player's assault phase.

Archived