Fliers leaving first turn

DV8

The rules tell us that a flier making a zoom move may leave the battlefield.

I believe that Flat out is a zoom move as it is a movement while zooming as my argument says above.

If you believe otherwise, you need to prove (for reasons listed in my argument) why a zooming flier making a flat out move is no longer zooming/making a zoom move.

Apparently you missed my point.

"In a turn in which a Flyer enters the the board from Reserve, it can do so facing any direction you wish, providing that the resulting move will not carry it off the board again.", BRB, Pg.80, Zoom

Does the word "move" in this sentence apply the prohibition on leaving to a "move" performed in the Movement phase only or to a "move" performed in either the Movement phase or the Shooting phase (the Flat Out move)?

Nah, mate. You missed mine...and the definite article in the sentence.

And my original post where I cover it.

I dont need to argue about move, because the rule tells gives us the condition of "THE" resulting move - which is one instance. Your argument thereafter fuels my point further.

Nah, mate. You missed mine...and the definite article in the sentence.

And my original post where I cover it.

I dont need to argue about move, because the rule tells gives us the condition of "THE" resulting move - which is one instance. Your argument thereafter fuels my point further.

Or "the move" applies to "the move" performed by the model in the turn in which it entered from Reserves, all of "the move" not just some of "the move"...

I may not have any fliers, nor Plan on getting any real soon, but I've been following this argument and their is one part of the argument that is bothering me.

When it talks about a flyer moving via zoom the phrase "Zoom move" does not come up. It simply says that it has a combat speed of 18", a cruising of 36", and that it must move at least 18" or it crashes.

The only points that really needs discussing in my mind are these.

- So the question is does a Flat out move count as a normal move just done in the shooting phase? Or does it not even count as part of the movement of the vehicle?

- Then there is the question of if the rule for Flyers coming in restricts their move in the entire turn, or just that initial movement phase.

The first one I feel is obvious. Movement is movement, regardless of the phase it is carried out and I see nothing disallowing it to be used to take the flyer off during a normal turn. Since a move is a move, and a flyer that is zooming is always zooming, then both would be counted as a Zoom move since there is no reference in the normal Flyer move rules that say that the movement phase movement is the only "zoom" the flyer does.

The one that is debatable is the second point, and is the reason that this can still be argued. This is the one that I can not answer myself but given that the books says "when it comes from reserves it can come in at any angle so long as the resulting move does not take it off the table means that the movement that the flier is required to do when it comes from reserves can not take it off the table. I believe the rule about fliers being able to move off accidentally or deliberately is there because if you are hovering you can not do such a thing, but a flier is capable of leaving the board if it so wishes if it is currently zooming. Again there is no distinction between a zoom move and it quite clearly says fliers may do so accidentally or deliberately. (Also note it specifies it must come in using zoom next time it returns)

To me this means that you could leave the same turn you come in by making a flat out move instead of firing your weapons. This is a risk in it's own way since interceptors will still fire, and you will be forced to zoom when you return, making transports possibly miss their chance to drop troops in time. Also your enemy could quite easily do the same to you.

Sorry that second to last paragraph my points kinda got mixed. The idea is there though.

Archived