Terminator power sword

No Foes Remain

As the tital says does the entry for the Terminator Sergeant change Power Sword to Power weapon based on the 6th Ed FAQ update thing that GW released?

I searched through a few other threads but they seemed to be focused on special characters.

I ask as for my renegades I'm using csm models with the sm 'dex but my termie sergeant is armed with an axe and not a sword, but then I saw in the 6th ed FAQ for the sm that all refferences to 'power sword' are to be changed to 'power weapon' but wasn't sure if that included termie sergeants.

Thanks,

/Ventris.

As the tital says does the entry for the Terminator Sergeant change Power Sword to Power weapon based on the 6th Ed FAQ update thing that GW released?

I searched through a few other threads but they seemed to be focused on special characters.

I ask as for my renegades I'm using csm models with the sm 'dex but my termie sergeant is armed with an axe and not a sword, but then I saw in the 6th ed FAQ for the sm that all refferences to 'power sword' are to be changed to 'power weapon' but wasn't sure if that included termie sergeants.

Thanks,

/Ventris.

Short answer, yes. He can carry whatever you want him to.

Long answer, page 2 of the FAQ where it says "Var." That means various (thus the lack of page numbers), indicating that ALL references to a power "sword" should instead read as a power "weapon." It's your choice. Personally, I'm thinking about a maul for mine. . .

Rules as written in the FAQ say that ALL references to "Power Sword" are changed to "Power Weapon" so yeah He has a "Power Axe" which means I1 S+1 AP2, which ain't so bad on a Termie :)

Nice one, thanks people. As soon as my pay goes through I'm getting a csm termie box so when my 6th ed book comes I'll have a look and see which weapon would be best.

Just to ask another question, what weapon would be best for a tac termie squad sgt?

Depends on which of the codices (and relevant FAQs) you are looking at... For example, the Deathwing Terminator Squads from Codex: Dark Angels state that the default weapon for the Sergent is a Storm Bolter and Power Sword. There most recent FAQ (found here) has no provision for this being anything other than a power sword... which is a shame, as I'd really like to put power mauls on a few of my Sergeants.

Just to ask another question, what weapon would be best for a tac termie squad sgt?

Personally, I'm thinking about a maul for mine. . .

I'd give him a power sword or maul so if he is challenged he may not strike last.

To recap on the maul, it's a utility thing. You don't need the axe for its AP2 -- you've got a whole squad with fists for that. A lance would be ok, but Tac Termies have a tendency to be charged rather than charging themselves (at least in my experience, due in large part to not being loaded on an LR), so you get no benefit from it. Keeping the sword is fine since it'll still punch the armor on Marines. I'm an advocate of the maul, however, for several reasons, all of them xenoform in nature. Outside of a few special cases, the maul's AP4 universally punches the armor on orks, eldar, dark eldar, and tau infantry. The +2 S also means that you're wounding all of these races' models on a 2+ and, with the exception of the orks, you're doubling Toughness to ID and deny FnP to them. It also has no effect on your Initiative, so you're still hitting before the tau and the orks.

Not to blow my own horn, but over in the Dark Angels' forum, I've created a thread for breaking down Deathwing Metrics, examining the various load-outs for the Unforgiven's most elite veterans. The standard storm bolter & powerfist terminator is a solid performer against vehicles, with a combined glance and penetration rate against AV10 of 1.10, but struggles against AV14 with a glancing-only rate of 0.22; adding a single chainfist to a squad doesn't degrade its anti-infantry melee capacity at all (still a powerfist) but brings a marked improvement against vehicles. AV10 is so much slag, and you actually get a pretty good chance to penetrate AV14.

By way of example, here's the breakdown for one possible Deathwing Terminator squad, which can be replicated by most of the other Chapters' "Tactical" Terminators:

Dakkanators (250 Points)

Equipment Options: 1x Assault Cannon & Chainfist; 1x Power Sword & Storm Bolter; 3x Powerfist & Storm Bolter

Notes: Almost the antithesis of the Hammernators (i.e., five TH/SS and a Cyclone), this unit is all about the dakka. The shooting numbers are somewhat lackluster against MEQ targets given the point investment, but this unit is devestating against anything with a 5+ save... and pretty darn good against MEQs if they follow up their shooting with an assault.

Dead MEQ Shooting: 1.99

Dead MEQ Close Combat: 3.82

Rhino Penetration Shooting: 0.44

Rhino Penetration Shooting: 0.22

Land Raider Penetration Shooting: 0.29

Land Raider Glances Shooting: 0.37

Rhino Penetration in Closs Combat: 3.53

Rhino Glances in Closs Combat: 0.99

Land Raider Penetration in Closs Combat: 0.78

Land Raider Glances in Closs Combat: 0.99

OK, the original rules question was answered posts ago, and this has since turned into a tactical discussion. Therefore I'm moving this to Tactica Astartes where it'll get more responses re. Terminator loadouts etc.

Archived