An All-Drop Pod Army

Iron Father Ferrum

So I've been doing some heavy thinking about this year's Feast of Blades -- I'm planning on attending the Open event -- and I started thinking about finishing all those pods I bought and never quite got around to fully assembling. I wanted some input on a few rules interactions and whether the general concept works in 6th Edition or not. I'll admit I'm just kind of rambling a little, but I feel the need to start a discussion on that subject.

1.) The half-army Reserve limit. In the Reserves rules, it caveats this rule with the exception that those units that MUST start in Reserves do not count towards the half-army limit. Obviously a pod must start in Reserve, but not necessarily its contents; I assume if a unit is declared to be in a pod, then the exception applies and there's no problem with a 100% pod army.

2.) Can't use any psychic powers that don't shoot. This one isn't a question, so much as a drawback. I was planning on Biomancy, which means that I couldn't use any of the seriously nifty powers like Enfeeble or Iron Arm since they're all done "at the start of the movement phase," meaning before the Librarian is on the board. I guess the Libby must come down on Turn One to get the most use out of him...

3.) First-strike capability against Interceptor emplacements. I'm planning on one, possibly two, Storm Talons for this army. The Turn One drop will have a target priority of splashing anything with Interceptor to ensure that my Talons don't get shot up getting on the table. This'll mean meltas against Bastions, but I honestly think that the more common choice is going to Aegis lines. From a positioning perspective, it's not necessary to kill the gun, either; I just need to kill any models in base to base with it.

4.) Easy to get Linebreaker. Thanks to the half-army Reserve limit, there's no longer any reason to play it safe with dropping at mid-field and waiting for the enemy to come on the table, so as a general rule, coming down amidst their starting positions -- like its supposed to work in the fluff -- is going to be your best option. Beware caveats, obviously.

5.) If Night Fight is in effect Turn One, get as close as you can and engage those Star Destroyers at point-blank range! If you're engaging within 12", the target gets no cover saves from Night Fight, and only Stealth at 12-24". This is a great way to kick over Necrons armies that use Night Fight shennanigans. Thanks to the Inertial Guidance in a pod, you don't have to worry about coming down danger-close like this either.

6.) 6" disembarkation from a vehicle. How many times has your perfect drop-pod melta shot been ruined because you scattered and ended up just far enough to take you out of range, or beyond that precious half-range? Well, the fact that disembarking is now your full 6" move instead of just a 2" bubble gives you an extra couple of inches to play with when you scatter in the wrong direction.

Well, those are my initial thoughts. I invite comments, criticism, corrections, and any other nuggets of new rules that makes pods either a good or bad idea.

The Turn One drop will have a target priority of splashing anything with Interceptor to ensure that my Talons don't get shot up getting on the table. This'll mean meltas against Bastions, but I honestly think that the more common choice is going to Aegis lines. From a positioning perspective, it's not necessary to kill the gun, either; I just need to kill any models in base to base with it.

Or break them. Or tie them up in an assault the turn after your Drop. :) But its not really a party without Guardsmen Flambe.

6.) 6" disembarkation from a vehicle. How many times has your perfect drop-pod melta shot been ruined because you scattered and ended up just far enough to take you out of range, or beyond that precious half-range? Well, the fact that disembarking is now your full 6" move instead of just a 2" bubble gives you an extra couple of inches to play with when you scatter in the wrong direction.

Mind the table edge, of course.

Great write up.

Man i totally missed that part about things automatically in reserve not counting against that limit.

In that case, i open my old question of what character is ideal. The argument i hear most are for:

Pedro: Scoring Sterguard, +1 attack to help when you're counter-charged

Lysander: Adds some nice CC ability and rerolls for his squad's bolters (sternguard)

Tigirius: I use to consider him an automatic, but now with more reliable reserves he might not be necessary. The way psychic hoods work now could be nice (protect everyone in a bubble) and if you run him with mostly buffs, only nids and wolves will be blocking your psychic powers.

Vulkan: CC monster, and twin linked melta/flamers. Nuff said

Your thoughts?

Really, there is no "ideal" character to lead the army -- that's based entirely on play style, after all. I'm taking a TDA Biomancy Libby and an AA/RB/SS Chapter Master for mine because I want the Bio buffs, and I want Honor Guard without Stubborn. That being said, I've played with Lysander before and he is a beast, and the amount of threat an enemy feels when he starts off THAT CLOSE completely changes the battlefield situation. I originally was going to build this army around a counts-as Pedro; his attack buff is pretty darn good if you're coming down fairly clumped up, all up close and personal-like. I used to advocate for Tiggy as well, but with the changes to Reserve rolls and Ongoing Reserves, like you say, he's no longer really necessary (and still overpriced). All useful, all ideal for different reasons, but not all are ideal for everyone.

Careful on point 6 - there's been debate on whether or not you actually get the move along with the disembark. I'm not supporting either side as I haven't read it in detail myself, but just be aware of the issue.

I generally feel vanilla chapter masters are overpriced for the abilities they bring to the table. Tiguirius, importantly, does get 3 powers and is mastery level 3, that's something worth considering by itself. While reserves are more forgiving, in a drop pod army you're relying on them. Further, he lets you (sometimes) intentionally delay troops, which I've wished I could have done on more than one occasion.

Careful on point 6 - there's been debate on whether or not you actually get the move along with the disembark. I'm not supporting either side as I haven't read it in detail myself, but just be aware of the issue.

I generally feel vanilla chapter masters are overpriced for the abilities they bring to the table. Tiguirius, importantly, does get 3 powers and is mastery level 3, that's something worth considering by itself. While reserves are more forgiving, in a drop pod army you're relying on them. Further, he lets you (sometimes) intentionally delay troops, which I've wished I could have done on more than one occasion.

Tiggy is also 20 points more than Eldrad, and 30 points more than Lysander. He's better in this edition for sure, but I still don't think he's worth his points.

As for the disembark, I fail to see the argument against what I said. In fact, it's in bold letters, first sentence of the first paragraph on the right-hand side of page 79. You place them base to base with the hull of the transport, and then. . .

The model can then make a normal move...but it must end its move wholly within 6" of the of the Access Point it disembarked from."

Bam. Black and white. RAW.

Edit: Oh, and for those interested, I put an army list up in the C:SM list forum. I'm not entirely happy with it, so C&C is more than welcome.

I have been putting serious thought into running a full pod list and a takin at 1500 just to try it out. One of the units that drew my attention was the plasma command squad with captain and Libby attached. Give the Libby smite and you have 13 ap2 shots first turn. That should melt most squads. I'm including a smaller version of this squad (one plasma and one combi plasma) in my 750 escalation list, and the potential to drop 20 marines first turn at that point value is pretty intimidating.

Archived