New Storm Raven Tactics

Alright, so as of right now I have been an on and off player for a long time. Recently I got back into and I am trying to revamp my small and yet to be effective Salamanders army. What I run right now isn't important, because I am working on changing it. What I would like to know is if I should buy a stormraven simply for the TW MM and tank hunting capabilities or add a stormtalon and leave my anti-armor on the ground?

I'd love to hear some opinions please!

Talons start at 130 Points.

With 20 more to that cost they can have a twin linked Lascannon or 25 more they can have typhoon or the new skyhammer (3x S7 shots)

Mathhammer wise, vs. tanks you're more likely to kill a vehicle with the Lascannon.

Though you have a 33% chance of each typhoon shot taking off a hull point.

SO...we have a vehicle that is AV11 and 150 points.

The Raven, coming in at 200 has a TLMM, TLLC (potentially - and my weapon of choice) and then 4x BS missiles (S8 AP1).

The Raven for a mere 50 points more with all the weapons, the ability to carry troops (and a dread) and the AV12 is FAR superior.

HOooooowever, you may want to check with your group if they'll allow you to play with the Raven as part of your codex because its technically not available without using allies.

So, you will need to consider a BA HQ and a BA troop choice.

The raven has hurricane bolters, and I never ran it without them in 6th. They deal a :cussload of damage on close range and enable one to easily decimate infantry squads that can endanger the raven (e.g. devastators) in the turn you arrive. Also, you're almost immune to pesky quad guns, and bloodstrike missiles are the bane of every flyer in the game.

I like the idea of the flexibility of the CL. Frag or Krak gives some nice options. 255 IS rough, but they are so much more survivable now, from what I have seen. Zooming for the 6+ to be hit, cover save and invulnerability to assault is beautiful. I need to get my head straight on deploying troops, but otherwise I am in love. ;)

Zoom to location.

Blast high priority targets.

Go "Hover mode" and unload cargo.

Flat out across the table for a 4+ cover save.

Go "Zooming mode" to continue blasting high priority targets or general harrasment of enemy targets.

Had this debate a few days ago with some mates, but it appears their's no restriction on unloading while zooming.

IE: you dont need to switch out of hover to unload cargo.

Have you guys found something contrary to that?

Zoom to location.

Blast high priority targets.

Go "Hover mode" and unload cargo.

Flat out across the table for a 4+ cover save.

Go "Zooming mode" to continue blasting high priority targets or general harrasment of enemy targets.

Had this debate a few days ago with some mates, but it appears their's no restriction on unloading while zooming.

IE: you dont need to switch out of hover to unload cargo.

Have you guys found something contrary to that?

If a Stormraven moves more than 6" you may use the Skies of Blood special rule as per BA FAQ. Any other form of disembarkation requires the 'Raven to move 6" or less.

How about this? Zoom in blast something on turn 2 or 3. Next turn switch to hover, drop payload. Then turbo boost off the table to keep it safe in ongoing reserves. Then zoom back in next turn and blast something.

So far that tactic has worked great. I used this tactic yesterday. Turn 2 I come in stop next to a big stompa and blast an ork jet fighta ace out of the ski. Next turn switch to hover drop off a reclusiarch and 11 DC (whom power fist the stompa to death). Then boost off the table. Next turn fly back in and shoot down another ork jet fighta ace. So my 675pts killed 900pts(3KP) in 3 turns.

How about this? Zoom in blast something on turn 2 or 3. Next turn switch to hover, drop payload. Then turbo boost off the table to keep it safe in ongoing reserves. Then zoom back in next turn and blast something.

So far that tactic has worked great. I used this tactic yesterday. Turn 2 I come in stop next to a big stompa and blast an ork jet fighta ace out of the ski. Next turn switch to hover drop off a reclusiarch and 11 DC (whom power fist the stompa to death). Then boost off the table. Next turn fly back in and shoot down another ork jet fighta ace. So my 675pts killed 900pts(3KP) in 3 turns.

I didn't think you could exit the table while in hover mode. AmI wrong?

Yah I may have accidentally cheated. Im reading the rules now and I think you can only leave the board in flier mode. Opps, my bad.

But leaving the board can keep your flier safe during your opponents turn. Setting you up for another strafeing run on your next turn.

Yah I may have accidentally cheated. Im reading the rules now and I think you can only leave the board in flier mode. Opps, my bad.

But leaving the board can keep your flier safe during your opponents turn. Setting you up for another strafeing run on your next turn.

I'm not sure we're quite ready for a tactics thread yet as we still seem to be working our way through the new rules! :D

Speaking of which, I was reading a GK BatRep the other day and the author said that he started his 'Raven on the table. I queried this and he said that because it can hover it does not need to start in reserve, despite being a flier. Can anyone confirm or deny this as I wasn't able to find it in the rules?

Can anyone tell if there is ANY point in using skies of blood?

I understand it that you can use this to drop any troops that have jump packs.... like zooming across and they jump out. Woo cinematic! but pointless?

Do you gain ANY benefit? is there a difference between skies of blood and simple deep striking?

It says that skies of blood follows the same rules as deep striking, and you can't even use heroic intervention with vanguards... as they may only use it when coming in from reserve.

Am I wrong? have I misunderstood?

I usually use skies of blood when there's a high chance my SR will be blasted out of the sky next turn. Also, it's very useful if you have suffered an engine damaged result and can't go to hover mode anymore :D

I played a LOT of games with the SR now, and most often it goes like this: Turn 2 arrival, multimelta a dangerous tank/enemy flyer and use TLAC&HB&Missiles to eliminate some anti-air infantry (devastators or the such). Turn 3 hover mode, disembark and repeat the shooting, after this there usually aren't that many AV-weapons left in the area. Also, you still got your 5+ cover save in hover mode, and you just unloaded a dread and a nasty cc-unit to deal with anything that might charge your raven.

It's even nastier if you got 2 of course :P

Archived