New Storm Raven Tactics

Can anyone tell if there is ANY point in using skies of blood?

It is like everything and can be used in a tactical situation.

I understand it that you can use this to drop any troops that have jump packs.... like zooming across and they jump out. Woo cinematic! but pointless?

Anything can jump out to include units without JP and dreadnoughts. Just everything takes a dangerous terrain test.

Do you gain ANY benefit? is there a difference between skies of blood and simple deep striking?

Better positioning of a melta team or DC to lay down bolter fire. Everything has a benefit in this situation of just being a threat to the opposing army.

It says that skies of blood follows the same rules as deep striking, and you can't even use heroic intervention with vanguards... as they may only use it when coming in from reserve.

It is not a deep strike so I would have to say no.

Am I wrong? have I misunderstood?

Just double check your rulebook and there are somethings that will come to light.

-Zedrenael

I'm not sure if anyone has considered using skies of blood in conjunction with a locator beacon. Provided the unit deep strikes within 6" of the raven, they will not scatter. This means no dangerous terrain checks for non-jumppack units and melta/flame weapons exactly where you need them. I would say it is very similar to Dante's deepstrike without actually using Dante.

I'm not sure if anyone has considered using skies of blood in conjunction with a locator beacon. Provided the unit deep strikes within 6" of the raven, they will not scatter. This means no dangerous terrain checks for non-jumppack units and melta/flame weapons exactly where you need them. I would say it is very similar to Dante's deepstrike without actually using Dante.

Ok, you've just made me think of something. Now correct me if im wrong here but with skies of blood when you choose where you would like them to land it can be anywhere along the route that the stormraven has just flown right? Like i said im really not sure about the exact rule as i don't have my codex to hand. Anyway if thats the case as brother Tim has just reminded me stormravens have the locator beacon. So does that mean that the if you were to use that to deepstrike your terminators you could deepstrike them anywhere along the route its just taken? I'm at work so i may have just got all my rules confused. Though this certainly could cause some headaches for people we play. Say a unit of sang guard in the Raven, and then deepstriking termies with a Sang priest with TDA, as well as a furioso maybe.......... ouch.

Ok, you've just made me think of something. Now correct me if im wrong here but with skies of blood when you choose where you would like them to land it can be anywhere along the route that the stormraven has just flown right? Like i said im really not sure about the exact rule as i don't have my codex to hand. Anyway if thats the case as brother Tim has just reminded me stormravens have the locator beacon. So does that mean that the if you were to use that to deepstrike your terminators you could deepstrike them anywhere along the route its just taken? I'm at work so i may have just got all my rules confused. Though this certainly could cause some headaches for people we play. Say a unit of sang guard in the Raven, and then deepstriking termies with a Sang priest with TDA, as well as a furioso maybe.......... ouch.

I asked this question before and the consensus was that it only affected the 6" from where the SR was at the end of its move. Not bad. But remember, you can also get a LB on scout squads and drop pods. If you pass over one of them and SoB, you could still used the LB affect to remove scatter.

Personally I dont see the need to use SOB. On the turn you come in you can move 36” cruse speed then following turn switch to hover drop payload then move after. 36” should get you anywhere you need, to drop off the units.

Oh since 6th ed. I run all my stormravens with CML and TLLC. It's been a great all purpose flier.

Damn, it looks like I have alot of work to do in catching up. I just recently got a copy of the 6th ed rules so I need to run through that pretty well. But it looks like the SR has been the choice of every because of transport capabilities and if I heard correctly, the SR transports troop choice and a dreadnought?! If so I might be going with that. Second thing is, the TWLC seems to be very popular in terms of AntiArmor, but when running a Salamanders army with Vulkan (i.e. TWMM and TWM and MCTH all that fun stuff) wouldn't the TWMM on the Talon be more effective with Salamanders or is double twinlinked MM capabilities just overkill? Let me know what you think I have about a week to decide before it becomes a little more difficult to get a new piece. Does anyone know when the 6th ed SM codex come out? I have been reading rumors that botht the SR and ST are going to be added to the Marines arsenal.

Damn, it looks like I have alot of work to do in catching up. I just recently got a copy of the 6th ed rules so I need to run through that pretty well. But it looks like the SR has been the choice of every because of transport capabilities and if I heard correctly, the SR transports troop choice and a dreadnought?! If so I might be going with that. Second thing is, the TWLC seems to be very popular in terms of AntiArmor, but when running a Salamanders army with Vulkan (i.e. TWMM and TWM and MCTH all that fun stuff) wouldn't the TWMM on the Talon be more effective with Salamanders or is double twinlinked MM capabilities just overkill? Let me know what you think I have about a week to decide before it becomes a little more difficult to get a new piece. Does anyone know when the 6th ed SM codex come out? I have been reading rumors that botht the SR and ST are going to be added to the Marines arsenal.

I wouldn't bet on a new SM codex for at least a year as we know that CSM and DA are first and there will almost certainly be a xenos codex after those. In the meantime, I'm afraid that the only way Salamanders can get hold of a SR is via GK or BA allies. ST is already in your codex though, via White Dwarf.

Yeah, whilst zooming we can fire 5 weapons....

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 6th rules I thought that PotMS only allowed you to target an additional unit, not fire an additional weapon. i.e. 4 weapons while zooming, but one of those four could be at a different target than the other 3.

Yeah, whilst zooming we can fire 5 weapons....

Correct me if I am wrong, but in 6th rules I thought that PotMS only allowed you to target an additional unit, not fire an additional weapon. i.e. 4 weapons while zooming, but one of those four could be at a different target than the other 3.

You're wrong. :) It allows you to shoot an additional weapon AND target another enemy unit. :P

Archived