Necrons ridiculously broken

gogsmash

Now ever since their new codex last year, Necrons have been a strong army. But since 6th edition came out, they have received a huge buff with the new hull point and glancing rule in conjunction with their Gauss weaponry. One of my regular opponents fields a massive Necron army with about 60 Gauss warriors at 2k points - he has a very old school army with little variation, just huge amounts of bodies and firepower to swamp objectives. I'm going as far to say his army is nigh unbeatable!! Its weakness is definitely close combat but as all my transport vehicles melt by turn 2 due to the overwhelming amount of Gauss I can't get close.

I know most Necron players don't field such infantry heavy armies (he takes a monolith as his sole vehicle) but there are just too many warriors to kill; and it's hard enough without them undoing half of my shooting by getting back up again. Furthermore, he always takes the SC that automatically gives night fighting so my heavy artillery (guard allies and my devastators) are rendered useless (unable to target anything beyond 36", 5+ cover for everything they can shoot at) and he calls down lightning on my army every turn, getting lucky 6s and vaporizing my most important units!! The Gauss rule makes it insanely easy to kill tanks - my land raider, with 4 hull points, can be easily and realistically be destroyed in a single round of shooting from a 20 man warrior squad. How can I beat this army??

yeah spam warriors with imotekh is a bear in 6th, the worst part is they got rid of first turn charges so you cant even get them that way.

i hope he doesnt run a chronometron cryptek with imotekh, he will have night fighting for 4 or 5 turns.

even so night fighting has been changed in 6th edition, it gives a 1+/2+ to cover saves at range.. i say invest in a thunderfire or two.

my way of dealing with most infantry units comes in the form of ten sternguard with dual heavy flamers and vulkan in a drop pod.. stick that down his throat and the flamers up his tail pipe and he will soon know whos boss.

failing that deepstrike some heavy flamer speeders, they eat necrn warrior for breakfast and with only a 5+ RP roll (and only if theres any left in the unit) you should be reducing thier numbers by the handful.

Necrons are still less broken than some armies. You just have to realize that, in 6th, you shouldn't spam/use vehicules.

The nightfigtht thing is kinda OP, though. But hey, you can't ask too much from MW.

infiltrators and scouts dont realy help , because they cant charge and I dont think there are combat set ups that can wipe out a necron army spaming immortals and warriors with shoting , even if it gets turn 1.

But drop pods are in deed very good . 2-3 pods with GH with plasma guns , combi plas WG and/or HQs with combi plas can do nice dmg to necron units.

There is one major weakness that a Necron list that has! - Predictability.

You know what he's has and you know what he's going to do.

This gives you a massive advantage. In this case I would recommend Vanguard veterans. Heroic Intervention is now a viable option.

A 5 man unit with a power weapon, (power maul!) can munch through a unit of warriors. They will break and you can wipe them off the table.

The key to killing necrons is getting rid of their troops. Send in the hardest CC units you've got, with jump packs. Bikes also work well.

The advice I'd give to anyone is: Necrons are hard! they require you to really think tactically, really exploit weaknesses and strengths.

I actually enjoy playing against Necrons... Sure I get beat sometimes but I always feel like I'm playing my A-game against them... almost like chess!

and victory is all the more sweet when your 5 man vanguard squad kills 6 warriors and sweeps the rest!

Remember that if you sweep or cause necrons to fall back... they do not get to come back from the dead.

Necrons are still less broken than some armies. You just have to realize that, in 6th, you shouldn't spam/use vehicules.

This is a misconception I've noticed from many people in the game. The problem isn't with using vehicles, it's with using vehicles as pill boxes like many armies used to. Transports are essential to beating shooting armies, since mobility has gone through the roof in the game everywhere except infantry.

Think about a Landraider full of armour 2+ hard nuts; you can eliminate those Warriors turn 2, thanks to the extra speed you get from the vehicle. It takes a surprisingly large amount of Warrioris to destroy a Landraider in one turn and that means your other stuff is fine. :)

Hmm, I didn't think of combi-flamer sternguard in a drop pod... That would certainly wipe out a squad. I would have to get the vanguard vets in a drop pod as deep striking within 6" of the enemy so I can charge seems to be asking for a mishap. The only problem is getting hold of those £25 finecast models :) (and I hear drop pods are very difficult to assemble)

This is a misconception I've noticed from many people in the game. The problem isn't with using vehicles, it's with using vehicles as pill boxes like many armies used to. Transports are essential to beating shooting armies, since mobility has gone through the roof in the game everywhere except infantry.

Think about a Landraider full of armour 2+ hard nuts; you can eliminate those Warriors turn 2, thanks to the extra speed you get from the vehicle. It takes a surprisingly large amount of Warrioris to destroy a Landraider in one turn and that means your other stuff is fine. :)

Yeah, always forget about LR because the Chaos one is really lame.

First off you can make sternguard and vanguard out of the regular plastic guys. Its all a mater of equipment and paint job. Second Termis and regular assault marines and bikes are also good options. You will need a good hard unit should he start taking Lychguard too so plan for that too. Calgar and Lysander are good choices for core characters. If you want to keep IG allies think 50 man flashlight blob, maybe some Ogrin in a Valkyrie. Vendettas and storm talons too.

At any rate this is an old list, beat it old school. Concentrate on one flank, get stuck in and roll the whole army up.

You could always not play Chaos :) At least until the new stuff comes out, which I pray is sooner than later.

I just played against foot Tau the other day; he had three squads of Firewarriors with super marker drones they could use, plus snipers and etc...yet he still didn't glance my rhinos to death on the first turn (due to smokes :)). It really probably isn't that bad.

infiltrators and scouts dont realy help , because they cant charge
Only if you go first...but then, against stuff like this it's essential to do exactly that, so good point.

About using the LR thing and shoving it down the Necron player's throat? A Guassflayer causes a glancing hit on a six. 10 Necron Warriors rapid firing will hit that LR 13 times, and roll two sixes on the armor roll. The Land Raider is now half dead from ONE WARRIOR SQUAD of 10 guys.

I regularly play against a Necron player. Taking ANY vehicle is basically a bad idea. The Drop Pod idea works to a point- you have to have a lot of them, and with the way reserves work now, only 1/2 your army can be in reserve.

Closing into close combat again is difficult- cagey Necron players will use interlocking fields of fire, and then there is snap fire when you do charge.

This is of course if they don't screen everything with Wraiths or Scarabs. The new thing since the Necron Flyers have been released- those stupid Night Sythes that can drop troops even when they zoom.

So what do I do? Aegis Defense lines for the flyers (or a Stormtalon, Stormraven), Devastator Squads with ML's or PC's. Finally, foot slogging, regular Terminators (Assault Cannon, Cyclone, SB's and P-fists).

Fighting Necron's can be frustrating, but they are hardly unbeatable. OP? Well, the number one biggest threat in 6th right now is flyers, and the lack of dealing with them. The only counter right now is another flyer. I hope your army has one! Unfortunitly, fielding any vehicle against the Necron's is a bad idea. What does that leave you with? Fortifications and hope he doesn't bring a lot of Necron Flyers.

Close Combat is a weakness of the Necrons. They have a bigger weakness- Psychic Powers, or the lack there of. Get a level 2 Librarian, with a good defense power and good offensive power, throw him in a Drop Pod with some Sternguard, and drop them in the middle of the Necrons and let them try to deal with them.

You could always not play Chaos :tu: At least until the new stuff comes out, which I pray is sooner than later.

Not interested in playing something else.

That's why if the next codex is crap, I'll just quit playing.

So is bringing typhoon speeders not a great idea to hunt down flyers? Do speeders still require 6's to hit or something like that? I can't say the situation with necrons really changed much. Before you could be glanced to death only now it takes a couple less glances depending on the vehicle. Speeders would require in 5th now they require 3. LR needed 5 now they need 4. Not too terribly different. Such is the advance of their weapons I suppose.

About using the LR thing and shoving it down the Necron player's throat? A Guassflayer causes a glancing hit on a six. 10 Necron Warriors rapid firing will hit that LR 13 times, and roll two sixes on the armor roll. The Land Raider is now half dead from ONE WARRIOR SQUAD of 10 guys.

thats why mathhammer is worthless.. if the necrons have to shoot at a land raider in rapid fire range, the next turn they are in big trouble, if the wreck it or not

I played against necrons recently with 3 dreads and a rhino in 1500 points, lost the rhino and one dread (most of the dread damage actually came from a ctan shard in combat) but unlike under the old rules they still worked fine after being glanced so did their job. I lost but it was reasonably close and a lot of it was due to me having no idea what half his army could do or what would work best against what. Now I've read the codex I've decided that sternguard are amazing against necrons, hellfire against T5+, vengeance against 3+sv but one of the better options (that I didnt realise until after the match) kraken bolts have ap4, not just long range, letting you tear through warriors and with a couple of heavy flamers in there you could take out a whole squad in one round of rapid firing. Plus if you're lucky they will try to assault you (wraiths or lychguard maybe) which happened to me, 2 combi flamers, a heavy flamer and the flamer on my MotF took down 3 lychguard and a cryptek before the combat even started.

I find the best thing to kill Necron Warrior spam with (since it's almost certainly mostly Warriors, only the really old school players with metal warriors can afford to spam Immortals yet) is heavy bolters. Night Fighting only caps out at their maximum range anyway.

So, infantry counter-spam with heavy bolter squads, take meltaguns to knock out their armour (a single Monolith is easy to kill), snipe out Lords with scouts and characters.

The nice thing about Drop Pods is that they take the hits from Ether Crystals so your deep striking squad don't have to. Also, remember that since a unit in a Drop Pod must start in reserve, it doesn't count towards the maximum of 50% units in reserve.

Archived