Necrons ridiculously broken

gogsmash

A group of basic terminators with assault cannons would be a nice (cheapish) counter. Just walk towards them until you're within assault range.

On average, it takes 18 shots to kill one terminator, which means outside of 12" he has to use the firepower of over 230 points worth of warriors to kill a single terminator model, you keep up that kind of ratio and you'll come out ahead.

Chaos have flying MCs which are really good.

-Myst

Chaos daemons, yes. Not Chaos marines.

Oh, must have missed that. Think my friend may have misrepresnted something the other day.

I do like the idea of Tactical Terminators.

-Myst

A group of basic terminators with assault cannons would be a nice (cheapish) counter. Just walk towards them until you're within assault range.

On average, it takes 18 shots to kill one terminator, which means outside of 12" he has to use the firepower of over 230 points worth of warriors to kill a single terminator model, you keep up that kind of ratio and you'll come out ahead.

Just watch out for anything Ap1 or 2, especially stationary doomsday ark as that will flatten a squad of terminators with ease.

Just watch out for anything Ap1 or 2, especially stationary doomsday ark as that will flatten a squad of terminators with ease.

Very true, I should have specified that 18 shots is based on a necron warrior with their standard gauss weapon (or a marine and bolter).

EDIT: As for Necron in general, don't forget you can use your searchlights to help target squads during night fighting, its a small thing but could really help.

Fighting Necron's can be frustrating, but they are hardly unbeatable. OP? Well, the number one biggest threat in 6th right now is flyers, and the lack of dealing with them. The only counter right now is another flyer.

You'd be amazed at how effective an old school (2xTL-LC) Land Raider is. The key to dealign with flyers in 6th, in my own still limited experience, is not massed amounts of fire, but the correct TL-weapons.

I've redesigned my template vanilla list, with two Land Raiders and 2 Whirlwinds (1 LR from Tactical Termies with either dual ASSC or dual HF). I've faced Necrons twice already and both got their butts kicked. With marines don't assault right away. Hold back for 2-3 turns, then move forward. That gives you good chance to soften up your opponent before you get engaged in melee.

I don't think I've heard anyone mention Thunderfire cannons? The outrange most of his army, they no longer care too much about Gauss weaponry and with the rate of fire they have, they almost seem designed to counter Warrior hordes.

You think Necrons are bad in 40k? Try them in Apocalypse. Imotekh hitting every enemy unit on a 6' X 24' board with d6 S8 hits while Necron Warriors are glancing 6SP Titans to death in a single shooting phase...

Personally I find Imotehk's lightning just slows down the game without actually doing much, but that's anecdotal. ^^;

Also, you need a hell of a lot of Warriors to take down a titan, and you still have to take their voids down first (since you can't remove Void Shields with glancing hits).

Personally I find Imotehk's lightning just slows down the game without actually doing much, but that's anecdotal. ^^;

Also, you need a hell of a lot of Warriors to take down a titan, and you still have to take their voids down first (since you can't remove Void Shields with glancing hits).

Glances as well as Pens drop a void shield. And Void Shields are only effective at shooting from over 12" away. Necrons have enough mobility to sneak Warriors within 12" to negate Void Shields, and their auto-glance works just fine if they can't.

... They do? Oh, those... gah. *grumble*

I guess Necron mobility is pretty high now, especially in Apocalypse where you can theoretically give every 20-man Warrior squad a veil of darkness.

... They do? Oh, those... gah. *grumble*

I guess Necron mobility is pretty high now, especially in Apocalypse where you can theoretically give every 20-man Warrior squad a veil of darkness.

Yeah, and well you are right - it's not likely to happen. There is nothing quite so disheartening to see one super-squad roll all hits, then get a fistfull of 6's (with a re-roll) against a lightly damaged Titan. At least revenge was had - the thing went Nuclear for 30".

I completely agree with Miko when she said Imotekh's lightning really doesn't do much and mostly just slows down the game. Honestly, the Night Fighting is fantastic, but that lightning just so veeeerrrrry veeeeerrry rarely does anything especially useful.

I'm also not entirely sure that Imotekh as a whole is the biggest Special Character problem you might face from the Necrons. Anrakyr, Zahndrek and Obyron can make your life miserable if used correctly.

There are several really REALLY diabolical things that a Necron army can do if the player truly understands what the Codex can do, but I'm afraid you're gonna have to go find those things out for yourself.

I like my Necrons too much to give away our most horrific secrets. :P

More generally speaking, I don't even know of any great basic advice to give you against a mediocre Necron army. The best I have is:

Don't spend a lot of points on vehicles. Some vehicles will no doubt be helpful, but you need to be careful to keep them out of harms way. The more you have the harder they will be to keep alive for a significant amount of time.

Do everything you can to utterly wipe out a Necron unit to prevent it from reanimating.

Template the bejeesus out of Scarabs ASAP.

Don't make yourself an easy target for Death Rays, Doomsday Cannons and Particle Whips.

Imotekh is mostly just useful for the Night Fighting. Otherwise he's not that great.

Be really REALLY careful how you attack Necrons in melee. Mindshackle Scarabs can ruin your life.

Do everything you can to shoot Whip Wraiths and Destroyer Lords to death before they slaughter your dudes. I don't care who you are, you probably won't survive melee against them.

i played an imotekh/chronometron combo in late 5th edition used with a scarab farm and it was evil

in 5th night fighting meant spotting units before you could shoot them, as we had 5 turns of night fighting my two thunderfires got ONE shot off the entire game.

i still won, though it was due to vulkan and 10 sternies (dual heavy flamer) wrecking face from a drop pod and close combat scouts chomping through everything.

night fighting works alot better in 6th, giving shrouding (adding to cover saves) but since both sterngaurd and thunderfires have ammunition that ignores sover they are a no brainer if night fighting is a concern

Well I slaughtered 25 necron warriors with 5 WG termi's and a rune priest before they were wiped out. SW can rough house necrons very well. You need to play smarter with the SM dex though (hint- no vechicles except rhino's/pods, mabye stormtalon/speeders).

Vehicles are important Space Marines armies regardless of facing Necrons. Your infantry works best when the Necron firepower is hitting vehicles and not them! I have no problems with taking Dreadnoughts or the like when the Necron player is trying to shoot down Landspeeders and transports bringing infantry up close to them.

Things is, an all comers list without vehicles is handicapped against many armies.

You just have to be decisive against them, so the Necrons haven't the turns spare to wipe you off the board easily.

Archived