BT Venerable Dreadnought

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/586/48050545644097770690977.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8605/img20120630195211.jpg

WIP, obviously. Torso is magnetized - one neodymium magnet on the saddle, three inside the dread, behind the engine cover, pulling through the torso bottom - and rotates freely, but stays in the position it's rotated to, because the saddle magnet is at an angle (forwards), which also makes the Dread look more mobile, with the torso tilted slightly to the fore. I was very happy when I noticed that if I do not glue the head inside and just place the armor cover on the sarcophagus, the head will not fall out by any chance, but can freely rotate in there - another way of being able to position the Dread nicely ;)

The "power fist" is red because of the army's overarching theme - Declates Crusade - where after fighting alongside with Crimson Fists, the two chapters, both Sons of Dorn, have done something unique in Space Marine history. These Battle Brothers have exchanged parts of their livery. Since then, Declates BT veterans wear red gloves, just left or both if high ranked, as if they were Crimson Fists, while the CFs wear the Crusade Crosses on white kneepads. In both cases, the black Crusade Crosses have always at least a sliver of red on them, to further show this special battle bond these veterans share.

I wanted this Dread to show that he's been here and there, apparently fought the Tyranids, but also fights the Orks now, as if taken straight off a Declates system battlefield. The base was just primed and drybrushed, that's the one that came with the Dread. I magnetized it from the bottom, just as well as the Dread's feet, which makes for a very easy transport in a metal box. The ork bones and skulls "totem" is taken from a friend's set of WFB Black Orcs, also magnetized for easy assembly. The Ork head is from the 25th Edition CF Captain, whom I use as an Ally HQ, without the Ork head. This head will either be placed like this permanently (it was only positioned for the photo), or if I manage to pull it off, put on a vertical wire, about an inch or so above the hand, with the wire covered in green-stuff made "blood and slime". Since the head has all the spine-and-guts detailed, I'd like the ancient Dread to be able to walk through the battlefield and toss it up menacingly, like a small ball :)

Further steps will have details and lines evened out, a bit more bling added (for example, a relic sword draped and pinned with seals, under the left side of the torso - as if he could draw it with the "hand" or offer it to a champion) and general clean-up. Obviously, decals will come into action to and writing on banners. Wish me luck! :P

Archived