Saga of the Hunter

Grimtooth

So a topic came up over at Dakka Dakka regarding Saga of the Hunter.

While an IC with Saga of the Hunter as the ability to outflank, he does not have the Outflank USR. The 6th edition Outflank USR is quite specific in that only a model with the special rule can attempt to Outflank. Hence per the RAW, an IC with Saga of the Hunter only has the Stealth special rule and his ability to outflank does absolutely nothing at all.

Of course I believe 100% that having the ability to outflank means that you are capable of using the new Outflank USR. SW codex was written for 5th edition when outflank was not a USR, but instead a special move. However barring a FAQ that says Saga of the Hunter gives the Outflank USR, Saga of the Hunter is a broken rule.

Thoughts?

I think that just because you don't have a capital letter on the word outflank doesn't mean that the rule is less valid.

If it says "The model gains the ability to outflank", then that's exactly the same as "The model gains the Outflank rule".

I think that just because you don't have a capital letter on the word outflank doesn't mean that the rule is less valid.

If it says "The model gains the ability to outflank", then that's exactly the same as "The model gains the Outflank rule".

I agree.

Itll be nice to get a FAQ on this though- same as when people tried to say you couldnt outflank with scouts and a priest before.

Codex > BRB Outflank Special Rule.

I don't think that really applies here. The Codex does not tell us what outflanking is, only that a character with this saga has the ability to do it. This in itself is meaningless though, for the reasons stated in the OP.

Gentlemanloser, that may well be the case, but it doesn't resolve the issue of allowing the character's unit to join him in the outflank.

The Codex mentions only the character being able to outflank, it does not say he has the USR. The Rulebook says if one model in a unit has the Outflank USR, the whole unit can outflank.

Technically it looks like a negative. However, it would be very very odd to direct a player to use a rule/ability without allowing the model to possess that rule/ability.

Simple question - if outflank does not mean Outflank USR then what R.A.W. is outflank?

"Models that are arriving by Deep Strike or Outflank deploy using their special rules (see pages 36 adn 40).", BRB, Pg.124

"The character has the ability to outflank and the Stealth rule.", C:SW, Pg.64

Note the lack of the letters U,S, and R in either the BRB rule or the C:SW rule. Codex: Space Wolves tells you the model may outflank. You then refer to the BRB to know how to outflank. The BRB Mission Special Rules tells you to refer to the Special Rule enumerated on Pg.40. The Special Rule on Pg.40 tells you that it only takes one model per unit.

Archived