Vlka Fenryka WiP

Argyle

Well a week or so ago I posted a WiP wolf-something in the Space Wolf sub forum. Wasnt sure if I was on my way to a lord, a wolf priest, lone wolf or something else. After the feedback there I decided to pursue a custom Arjac build. Now that I've come a long a little way and know what I'm shooting for I'd like to get some feedback from the larger community here in the WiP section.

Here is the model a week ago:

gallery_31762_5407_91420.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_27510.jpg

After doing a bit more work with an actual objective in mind, here he is 10 minutes ago:

gallery_31762_5407_30413.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_51161.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_95317.jpg

Please do not critique the painting (will be plenty of time for that later lol, my paint skills are lacking), that is just some base coating for the moment. Right now I'd like your help getting the conversion work nailed down. My only current plans are to add a bit of rune work on the hammer head to spruce it up a touch. The idea of the hammer was to look like an anvil. I am not intending to place the normal anvil on his back, but will probably put a wolf icon or perhaps a banner (opinions here welcome.)

Nice use of a model that I love combined with a character I also enjoy. :jaw:

I like your Anvil Mace, cool idea.

Nice green stuff work on the shield too!

I don't think he "needs" something on his "top back" like a banner, but if you do want to put something there, I think the "wolf head Crux" bit would look good there; as seen on the GW model with that wolf pelt cloak - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod260002a

Don't add anything to the back, the wolf pelt is decoration enough. I can't help put nitpick the anvil hammer though. The hammer's head being at that diagonal angle just looks off to me.

If you do have access to that wolf crux bit, I think it could look good put on to the mace head though, the last thing an enemy seeing before they are smote being a snarling wolf head.

It's a unique use of the Moloch model, and I commend you for it.

Close up of hammer with some added work. I know one thing I'm not entirely happy with is the positioning of the hammer arm, but very little I can do about that.

I've been back and forth on keeping the striking face square to the body, or angled as it is, so I understand your pointing it out heh.

gallery_31762_5407_3214.jpg

Does'nt he have a small anvil on his back too?

He does normally have a small anvil on his shoulders, yes. I've tried to incorporate that part of his symbolism into the hammer head instead. I will also be putting a bear paw symbol on the back of his cloak to cover that aspect and the idea was to add a banner on his back and paint it with the wolf that stalks between the stars.

Great conversion. Is this using the Minotaurs Astereon Molloc as a base? The hammer is coming along well, though like others have said, I wouldn't put a banner on this guy. Just a small thing if anything.

Well Arjac is well under way with paint now, but temporarily on hold until I solve a bit of an issue. Some how (perhaps with the help of my 4 year old son) my dog got hold of a few pieces of mine and the shield was one of them - sadly not repairable. Currently toying with the idea of a Chaos Warriors shield wolfed up a bit, the Actual Arjac shield, or perhaps one of the terminator or twc shields. The good news is it gave my hobby ADD an excuse to flare up and I started work on my Contemptor.

gallery_31762_5407_65422.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_7458.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_140253.jpg

Still a long ways from being ready for paint. Have a few more wolf flavored decorations to add and need to sculpt a lot of fur on that pelt. Was shooting for a 'firing on the run but just about to hit enemy lines' kinda pose.

Agreed, i really like this. I'm getting obsessed with contemptors and i'm painting the last part of my World Eaters conversion as we speak.........well, in the next half hour at least. I spend a lot of time looking at the other conversions that people are doing and yours is really really nice. The main mistake i've noticed many people making are usually with the pose. The kit is so posable that it cries out for dynamic positioning. You've cracked it without it looking OTT and the model actually looks like its doing something other than standing around.

I never liked the relic contemptor that much, but with your subtle add ons it really shouts space wolves and actually looks cracking.

Wicked, i cant wait to see it painted up.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a delay posting an update on this contemptor but I had to work 80 hours a week 2 weeks in a row then went away with my wife and kids for a week. Got back 2 days ago and finished the conversion work and started to throw some paint on this guy. I won't claim to be amazing at converting, but I am definately better at converting then painting! Doing my best though =). Let me know what you think so far.

gallery_31762_5407_114414.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_12792.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_37087.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_76724.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_103657.jpg

Paint obviously has a long way to go, but I think hes starting to take shape!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived