Eclipse of Hope

Terrahawk

Read it last night, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. :tu:

I think David Annandale has his own unique style aside from the other people at the Black Library, and you can easily tell this isn't the first literary product the guy has written. I think the author succeeded in capturing the feel of the Chapter (something that has been missing from the Rafen series) and did a good job in portraying Mephiston. The ending of the short hints that Annandale might be writing some more BA stuff, and I for one welcome this wholeheartily.

I'll also echo Eisenhorn, hopefully this means we'll get other people to write about our great Chapter in the future.

I got a question there, mate: What 'format' are ebooks? I mean, I'd really like to download/read it, but eh...I don't know if there's some kind of software required to read it on my smartphone(not iPhone!)....I'm kinda new to this whole e-book thing, I usually prefer things that are written on paper. :tu:

thanks in advance!

Snorri

I got a question there, mate: What 'format' are ebooks? I mean, I'd really like to download/read it, but eh...I don't know if there's some kind of software required to read it on my smartphone(not iPhone!)....I'm kinda new to this whole e-book thing, I usually prefer things that are written on paper. :tu:

thanks in advance!

Snorri

You can download it in EPUB and MOBI format.

Yup, it's like Jimmy said. Once you buy the eBook you can download the .epub and .mobi versions from the Black Library site under your account.

If you are using Android, you can download Aldiko from Play Store for free. It understands .epub format. Or if you want, googling "epub reader" or "mobi reader" should give a lot of free options for reading stuff on your computer. Just be sure to download from a trusted site.

Hope this helps! ;)

I just got an android tablet this week. Downloaded the Aldiko app and the epub file, works great.

This was the first 40k book I have read, I liked it. I thought it was written pretty well and made for a nice quick read.

So it has sparked my interest and I'd like to try another 40K book, any suggestions? I have heard nothing but bad stuff towards Swallow's BA books, maybe something from the HH series? they seem popular.

If you go with the HH, start at the beginning, the journey is worth it. Otherwise the Ghosts books are fantastic (certainly the first arc, Necropolis is one of my favourite books), as are the Eisenhorn series and the Night Lords series (Soul Hunter is the first of these)

Snorri, glad to hear you got everything sorted out. :eek

Red Fury, good choice with the Android. :P

Hehe anyways, I recommend staying away from Swallow's BA series, it will most likely leave only a bad taste in your mouth as a BA player. I think my recommendations are very similar with Mortare. I highly recommend getting into the HH series, they are an awesome part of the setting's background and generally very well written. Horus Rising, the first book in the series, followed by False Gods and Galaxy in Flames is a natural starting point. I also thoroughly enjoyed The First Heretic and A Thousand Sons in the series.

I also recommend very strongly anything written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. His stuff is always very well written, engaging, and he really does get the background and Space Marines in particular. His Night Lord series (Soul Hunter - Blood Reaver - Void Stalker) is a particular favourite of mine. Very minor spoiler from Soul Hunter:

The Blood Angels also make a brief, yet a very cool cameo in the first book.

As stand-alone books, the Space Marine Battles series has also some gems in it. I found Purging of Kadillus a bit of a bore, but Helsreach and Battle of the Fang are pure awesomeness.

So basically depending on what you prefer to read now, I think both Horus Rising and Soul Hunter are safe purchases.

It's not a bad read. Depicting Mephiston in first person is not an easy task. The author actually succeeded to give a little info about him, without spoiling much. I also really liked how the battlebarge came into life by leaching memories, it was very well thought imho ;)

However one part really bothered me, the battle cry of the BA was written as "for sanguinus and the emperor" however it is other way around, the BA praise the Emperor first and this is actually a Nuance that sets them apart from the other astarti. as the battle cries of others praise their primarchs first. This has been a little gem that always made me like the BA more due to their devotion and loyalty to the Emperor. It really bugged me in the novella... I'm all for new ideas and stories however black library authors should also respect well established fluff in their writings. This was also the downfall of the deus series... I've seen promise in this novella, I hope it gets better in time :)

Archived