Counts as Storm Raven - UPDATED 15/03/2015

Rottimus

Thanks everybody for the nice comments and advice. Really helps with the ol' inspiration.

The second one is half built so i'll get some more WIP step by step pics up soon.

I've got a fair amount of gubbins to plaster on it, brass, skulls, pipes, chapter markings.

More to come soon!

Aw damn, this thread has starting my brain thinking of something new to build. Why do you people on this board insist on posting such great ideas?! Now I want to make something like this, and corrupt it to Chaos... No! Must ignore the voices in my head!

As long as this is still before detailing, as you've already said, I have no doubt that the bland rougher areas will be improved on. It's going to be great to see where these go. Not one but two, no less. Awesome.

looks good. i really dont like the new space marine fliers.. they both look like they should do little more than crash and explode.

im using an ork bommer instead of a storm talon. fits the spirit of my army so much better.

Off topic geek fact:

Its not actually called the Warthog, it's official name is the A-10 Thunderbolt II

Warthog is its nickname due to the noise that the GAU-8 cannon makes, as well as its position on the nose of the aircraft.

<I find it rather amusing how many A-10 groupies (raises hand) are PA players>

This is a brilliant conversion. I was going to pass on the Storm Talon as a model, but you have convinced me that what I really need is a couple Storm Talon Mk.A10s in my army. There have been some very interesting AH-64 type conversions that I've really liked, but by turning this into something that resembles the A-10, I really do think you've hit the nail on the head.

Eagerly looking forward to the step by step.

<stands and applauds>

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a filthy xenos player who can't decide on which chapter I would start so I don't ...

And even _I_ love the Thunderbolt and this excellent conversion! :-)

One C&C for ya: I agree that the missile pods ned to be moved (wouldnt do above cockpit as that takes away from the engines in front, do the underwing that was shown) and would even suggest removing the ones currently under the wings and replacing with bomb racks (fw if you want).

Looking forward to the finished products; kitbash fo' life!

From the front view, I would suggest filling up the angle gap as it doesn't look structurally sound. I would it the angle to put in an air intake (air intakes are always awesome), using alternative sheets of thin plastic, glued together and shaved down to fit the angle. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe that I am only just now catching wind of this masterpiece Rottimus. Absolutely impressive. Can you toss some painted pics up of it when you get done? (and a tut would be cool, but I know how we often forget to take out the camera when we get on a conversion roll)

The A-10 has always been one of my favourite aircraft. They are just amazing and the comparisons here are no less than epic.

Anyhow, beautiful work!

~BtW

• 2 weeks later...

So, could you please tell me what kits are in use here?

I need to know so that I can blatently copy your design. (Thank You!)

Storm Talon? Check.

Storm Raven? Check.

Valkyrie?

Punisher barrel from Leman Russ kit? Check.

(I really don't like that barrel because of the way the compensator ports on the end are molded into it, which is to say, crooked. I made nice ones using a LR main barrel, removing its compensator and adding the gatling muzzle from the Storm Lord kit [makes two!])

Am I missing a kit?

Did you by chance try and test fit some valkyrie wings to it? Do you think they would work?

Thoughts, answers, opinions are always welcome.

Thanks! :huh:

Checking the Spikey Bits Blog ost by Man Boy Genius, He had this to say, and I wanted to get your confirmation as to the parts.

"To make this thing it looks like he used a Stormtalon kit mostly, and added elements from the Stormraven (wings and intake) as well as some Valkyrie tail sections to make the uprights. I think some of the fuselage extensions may be Citadel movement trays, but I'm not 100% sure."

• 2 weeks later...
Pure Win! You must give us the STC template for this!

Now that is a decent looking spacemarine flyer much better then the Storm raven or talon originals.

What more is there to say? Fantastic job! The A-10 is my favorite aircraft as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Please can you let us know what pieces were used to create this. I have a stormtalon sat in a box, begging for this conversion. I think I've figured out most of it, except the tail!

Truly awesome conversion I'm utterly astounded at its greatness.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Finally back with some updates! Finally got round to painting it and I'm quite pleased. It's not the greatest paint job, I'm only OK at painting, more of a converter but I'm pleased. Still have a few details to iron out like cleaning up the highlighting and maybe adding some detail to the spine.

I can't seem to upload any pictures to my B&C albums, it seems to time out or go so slowly that it'll take 4eva!

Anyway, please take a peek at my blog and give feedback. I've found out that this piece has caused some furore, it was the nr 2 article for spikeybits 2012. It's fun to see feedback so thanks to everyone who's given their 2 cents.

http://rottimus.blogspot.no/2013/01/space-marine-thunder-bolt-ii-aka-warthog.html

Cheers!

Archived