Codex Powers vs BRB powers

TrentL

I know our Codex powers are pretty sweet don't get me wrong, but I'm wondering how often you guys play with BRB codex powers.

In my next game tonight I'm playing mine with Biomancy the powers rolled are: Iron Arm and Warp Speed, I wanted to try it differently because since we don't get FC +1 init now on the charge, and the ability to strike specific models when I roll 6's I thought I'd try it out.

But I hear alot of people just stick with our Codex powers (Which are pretty awesome don't get me wrong)

But the thought of Mephiston healing wounds with LifeLeech or gaining d3 S / T or d3 init / attacks just seems pretty awesome.... if there was only a way to mix and match and keep Wings + getting some from the book...anyway.

I've always played with a Libby HQ but he's been killed serveral times by power klaw nobs, DP, a stray rocket in the face etc... (I hate ID attacks)

So I'm going with the BRB for the next couple of games to see how that works.

How about you guys? Which do you use?

In my next game tonight I'm playing mine with Biomancy the powers rolled are: Iron Arm and Warp Speed,

Unless you are writing this as your opponent is deploying, you're doing it wrong! You roll for them before you deploy, in full sight of your opponent :)

I had a go with divination last night and got prescience and the one that the libby gets to reroll failed hits and wounds. The latter was pretty useless, but prescience on my attack bikes was golden.

In my next game tonight I'm playing mine with Biomancy the powers rolled are: Iron Arm and Warp Speed,

Unless you are writing this as your opponent is deploying, you're doing it wrong! You roll for them before you deploy, in full sight of your opponent ;)

I had a go with divination last night and got prescience and the one that the libby gets to reroll failed hits and wounds. The latter was pretty useless, but prescience on my attack bikes was golden.

The opponent is my wife, we rolled all the crap a week ago :P We just haven't had time to actually set the game up :) Those just happened to be the two I rolled. She's playing eldrad ... and it should be interesting she rolled all his powers from Telepathy

It is all or Nothing BRB or CODEX.. I'm just wondering which people are using on the varios Models we have that can use them :)

Over the 10 game challenge I did I came to the conclusion that Divination is the best for us, followed by Biomancy. I generally use some combination from those depending on my opposition.

Yeah I read that, but wasn't sure if you used our Codex Powers as well. I wasn't sure if you fielded Mephiston or if you fielded a Libarian Dread.

And if you did did you use the Codex Powers of the BRB? ETC. It did seem that out of the BRB powers that Divination / Biomancy was favored by you.

I have used only the brb powers to learn about them. Divination is great. But also psychic shriek from telepathy is useful. Rolling 3d6 subtract mostly 9 or 10. All in excess is wounds with neither armour, nor cover saves. Another potential use of Corbulos reroll.

I intended to use the BA powers as well as the rulebook ones, but it reached the point where I thought the rulebook ones were too much better. Mostly, having access to prescience was the real kicker, as its an improved Unleash Rage. I didn't use Mephy, but if I did I'd use his powers over rulebook ones, as having Wings is practically necessary. If you're willing to go with a storm raven or land raider for him, though, I imagine Mephiston with Biomancy would be a pants-wettingly terrifying prospect.

So how many powers does Mephy get? It should be three, according to both BGB page 418 and the FAQ stating that he is lvl 3. But then there is that paragrah about libbies 'including Mephy' taking just two powers. What have you guys concluded?

I imagine Mephiston with Biomancy would be a pants-wettingly terrifying prospect.

It's pretty good. Between Iron Arm and Warp speed, he'd be unstoppable in CC. But since it's random, I'm not so sure it would be worth giving up the S10 with rerolls and wings for. If he got 3 rolls, maybe, but the other 5 powers are a bit of a downgrade from what he has stock.

So how many powers does Mephy get? It should be three, according to both BGB page 418 and the FAQ stating that he is lvl 3. But then there is that paragrah about libbies 'including Mephy' taking just two powers. What have you guys concluded?

I imagine Mephiston with Biomancy would be a pants-wettingly terrifying prospect.

It's pretty good. Between Iron Arm and Warp speed, he'd be unstoppable in CC. But since it's random, I'm not so sure it would be worth giving up the S10 with rerolls and wings for. If he got 3 rolls, maybe, but the other 5 powers are a bit of a downgrade from what he has stock.

FAQ says he gets 3

While str 10 is awesome.. And with 3 rolls he has a decent chance and it's str tough and eternal warrior so he can't die to I'd attacks (no invun) I always worry about force weapons with him

I still have to play mephy, but 2 libbys with Prescience and whatever nice power you roll will be auto-include in my army for some time. This power is insane, and then you still have the options of death company with 4+ invuln. (scary as hell), or let the opponents TDA deathstar reroll armor saves then drown them in attacks (that reroll to hit!).

There are almost no useless powers in Divination, even the last one can be useful if you have a lot in reserves.

5 is pretty poor (a ton of buffs but only on the librarian), 6 is great if you have reserves/are playing mysterious objectives/playing mysterious terrain, and 4 is situational, given that its only him and his unit. What I -tend- to do is roll once on divination, and if its a good one keep it, and then take prescience. If its a bad one, I'll swap it to prescience, then take my second from biomancy so that way I'm always ending up with two decent powers (I can think of much worse combinations than prescience and smite, if it really comes down to it).

Archived