Power maul...the new hotness?

ShinyRhino

In throwing around the numbers, it looks like the Power Maul is the best all-rounder choice for Marine Sergeants these days. The +2S is signficant, causing wounds on most basic troopers on 2s. Sure the AP4 is a drop, but by pure volume of attacks and retained initiative it looks like the maul wins against the majority of foes without 2+ armor saves.

Is that how you folks are panning it out as well?

In throwing around the numbers, it looks like the Power Maul is the best all-rounder choice for Marine Sergeants these days. The +2S is signficant, causing wounds on most basic troopers on 2s. Sure the AP4 is a drop, but by pure volume of attacks and retained initiative it looks like the maul wins against the majority of foes without 2+ armor saves.

Is that how you folks are panning it out as well?

You should inflict more wounds with a Power Sword on MEQs.

With no charge bonuses in a 1 on 1, power swords inflict .75 wounds, power mauls inflict .4166667 wounds, if you hunting high toughness monsters or multi wound models it helps by making them I1. The big thing that the power sword does it it takes the roll out of your opponents hand, they don't get a chance to save it and I know people who pass 3+s like no tomorrow.

Too bad the standard armament on a Chaplain is a Power Maul not an AP3 unusual weapon... :rolleyes: I wasn't completely sold on the selling points for a power maul or even the power axe - the only thing I can think of it being is a cheap GEQ type PF since it's S6 (instant death for T3) and AP4 (eating through carapace armour and equiv.)

The new power weapons are too situational to really claim one as the 'best'. They're each good against one particular opponent, and the power sword is a nice middle ground.

The maul might be a good min/max tool, but with the prevalence of challenges I don't think it quite rules the roost. What it's good at killing either won't challenge (Guard), hit you first (Eldar) or weather the attacks (MCs). It's got its uses, but I think I'd prefer to see it on mooks, not sergeants.

The non-challenge this is a but moot, since if the Guard don't challenge you, you challenge them and either force a duel or get to knock the Guard sergeant out of the fight and still knock in the squaddies' heads.

But yes, in rethinking it, they're all situational.

From my experience you don't necessarily want to challenge a guard squad as it is. You're going to kill the Sergeant (or commissar) for sure if you challenge. But you will be wasting attacks that would have knocked out more guardsmen than just the one sergeant if you challenge. Sure the sergeant can attack back. Will it do much of anything? Probably not. This is moot of course if the sergeant has a power weapon himself, then we all know you should challenge.

With no charge bonuses in a 1 on 1, power swords inflict .75 wounds, power mauls inflict .4166667 wounds, if you hunting high toughness monsters or multi wound models it helps by making them I1. The big thing that the power sword does it it takes the roll out of your opponents hand, they don't get a chance to save it and I know people who pass 3+s like no tomorrow.

Why no charge bonus? You charge that turn and you qualify for a bonus attack. I haven't found anything to say otherwise in Challenges.

Power Mauls are great little weapons against every army in the game except Space Marines, who will generally laugh off the meagre amount of hits from a Sergeant that force a save. Still, I think the meagre attacks with a power sword are just as underwhelming with Strength 4, so I think power mauls are probably a good investment. I mean, if you're going to hit on average only twice, then forcing 2 saves is probably better than a single AP3 hit unless you absolutely HAVE to kill that average 1 model.

Why no charge bonus? You charge that turn and you qualify for a bonus attack. I haven't found anything to say otherwise in Challenges.

To make it simpler, to show that on even ground it will still win...

From my experience you don't necessarily want to challenge a guard squad as it is. You're going to kill the Sergeant (or commissar) for sure if you challenge. But you will be wasting attacks that would have knocked out more guardsmen than just the one sergeant if you challenge. Sure the sergeant can attack back. Will it do much of anything? Probably not. This is moot of course if the sergeant has a power weapon himself, then we all know you should challenge.

Id do it to reduce the number of AP 2 attacks headed at my squad- the chances of you not killing him before he strikes are minimal, and saving 2 of your squadmates makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

But would you give your Captain a sword Idaho? Most sergeants don't have enough attacks to make it a really critical decision.

Nah, I'd give niether! A Relic Blade, since it as AP3 and strength 6! ;)

Given the choice between the two though, I'd probably go AP3 as a preference to take advantage of his ability to eliminate models before they strike.

Nah, I'd give niether! A Relic Blade, since it as AP3 and strength 6! ;)

Well sure, I suppose that's an option. :)

As a general thing, I'd probably agree with you. I don't think that you necessarily need the +2S in a challenge against something with a 4+, although a 'eavy armoured Ork might be an exception. And otherwise if you're going to kit out for TDA-hunting, you need to go the whole hog. AP3 Swords are a nice generalist option.

One thing to consider that came up in a discussion about Henchmen Warbands, is that a power maul can threaten vehicles and even walkers, whereas the other power weapons don't really add enough strength until you get to a power fist. Yes you have Kraks, but you still get multiple attacks with your power maul.

I was sad to see chaplain beater sticks get nerfed to AP4...how else can he keep his SMs in line if he cannot threaten them?

Are you sure you're a Loyalist Space Marine? That sounds like Traitor IG Commissar talk right there!

Fixed that for you. <3

If it aint marine mauls a good, but more because everything has the same stats and if something kills tacs good it will kill caps good

I used a maul on my company champ and managed a lucky two wounds on a overlord it was a high fiveable moment when he then parried like a boss and took of the last wound hehe love my beat stick

But in all seriousness use what you want or leave you sarges armless and play people who don t care bot wysiwyg

I don't believe in true specialization of SM units, but Tac/Assault squads can't truly be kitted out to kill MEQ. In my shooty/mech C:SM armies, honor guard/sternguard and vehicles handle MEQ/TEQ and Tac/Assault squads kill everything lower with bolters, flamers, armored fists/boots, etc. and stuff grenades in tail pipes. Giving a power maul to a unit ill suited to fight MEQ makes sense to me.

Archived