Onslaught of questions

Painface98

I am now to this and figuring everything out

I want to play as Chaos undivided, can I use any of the greater demons or does it have to be tied to a specific branch?

Another question the Daemons Soul Grinder, can this be used in an undivided army?

Are dreadnaughts with the investment or are they too unpredictable?

Thank you for your time

I am now to this and figuring everything out

I want to play as Chaos undivided, can I use any of the greater demons or does it have to be tied to a specific branch?

Another question the Daemons Soul Grinder, can this be used in an undivided army?

Are dreadnaughts with the investment or are they too unpredictable?

Thank you for your time

- You can use it, in fact it can't bear any marks, everyone can field them without restriction (yet they suck ballz).

- Yes, with the Allies stuff.

- They suck ballz.

Expanding a bit on Vesper's answers:

1) There are two ways of fielding greater daemons in Chaos Marine armies right now. The first is as a generic 'greater daemon' from the chaos marine book. These aren't terrible, but aren't great either. You can use any of the greater daemon models for this. However, this option is slated to be removed in the next chaos marine codex, due for release in October or November, so I really wouldn't bother with it.

The other way of taking a greater daemon is to use an allied detachment (see the 6th ed core rulebook) using the Chaos Daemons codex, which in a few months will be the only way to field them in a Chaos Marine army. This allows you to bring any of the 4 greater daemons (plus a few greater daemon special characters) found in that book. They're all pretty decent choices, but the specific model matters in this case - it's poor form to put a Lord of Change (Tzeentch's greater daemon) on the table and count it as a Bloodthirster (Khorne's greater daemon). Still, you can field any daemons you like in your allied detachment, regardless of what marks you do or don't take on your units, or even within the detachment itself. Nurgle marked chaos marines can take khorne and slaanesh daemon allies led by a tzeentch daemon HQ. It doesn't matter, though some players might look at you funny.

While all of the allied greater daemons have their uses, I recommend either a bloodthirster for crazy melee power on an FMC or the Fateweaver (Lord of Change special character) as a potent support option allowing you to re-roll armor, cover, and inv. saves of nearby units.

2) You can field a soul grinder as a heavy support choice in an allied daemons detachment, regardless of what marks you do or don't take on the marines in your primary detachment. They're a decent choice - some OK shooting and reasonably tough for a walker. Having one deep strike behind enemy lines can send opponents into a panic.

3) Chaos Marine Dreadnoughts right now are terrible, but there is a new codex due soon which may help them. I'd hold off for now. If you want a cool chaos walker, defilers are alright at the moment, and should still be pretty good in the new book. And allied soul grinders aren't bad. And the forgeworld decimater with a couple butcher cannons is nice, too, for a more traditional, bipedal walker.

Archived