Question on Dark Angels command squad

Magnus Thane

Recently got the DA codex and i've been doing plenty of painting, preparing to in a few months dive back into 40K after a brief absence. The new edition being a good moment to start again.

I did notice something but I may have misread... there was no mention of adding more Marines to the Command Squad, effectively limiting it to 5 men? Is this even possible? It seems ludicrous and odd...

You are correct, there is no way to add Marines to a Dark Angels Command Squad, it is only five Marines when taken, no more, no less.

IIRC, this is the same as C:SM Command Squad and the BA Honor Guard (although I don't have my Codexes with me), but we get one for each Independent Character, as opposed to the C:SM that can only get them for Captains, we can take them for Librarians and Chaplains.

Well, you are correct. The command squad is capped at 5 veterans. but, it's no big deal as the same limit applies to the vanilla marines and the Blood Angels honor guard. What is distressing is the fact that we don't have the loadout options the other chapters do. and on top of this, you can't take a Co. champion with Azrael's command squad. although I have, and, most people either don't know that we can't or don't care that we do.

well, yes I suppose it could be. but I am hoping that the DA go back to the 2nd/3rd edition flavor. Anyone else remember the Da that were stubborn, taciturn, and could dig in and crush enemies from afar! that's how I still play. I am a defensive player unless I'm playing the boys in bone or black. I wait for the enemies to come to me. then the comapny champ will rush out to kill the oppsing character or die trying. as we are the only chapter to have a defensive terrain piece(fortress of redemtion) I have a suspicion that the unforgiven might go that way again....

I thought any army could take a Fortress of Redemption. Did I miss a rule in there?

Magnus Thane, you hit on something that DA players have been arguing internally for a while now: what is the DA theme?

He probably meant we are the only army with a themed terrain piece. The fortress is clearly a DA thingie.

As for the mondus operandi of the DA...No I wont eat the cheese this time ;)

P.S. Though I used to field them exactly the same way :D

Well the DA theme seems mostly aimed at:

- The Fallen / Skeletons in the closet

- Ruleswise: Deadwing/Ravenwing are (or rather were) unique

- our robed look!

- Aaaaand that's it...

But I suspect a new codex will put things straight. :P

I've always seen us as the "veteran" Chapter, dating back all the way to Codex: Angels of Death (Second Edition) where we were basically organized exactly like the Ultramarines or any other generic Codex Chapter... But, we had more elite equipment (hence our rep as the plasma marines) and more elite troops (Deathwing, Ravenwing, stubborn/fearless on just about everybody). Naturally, this meant we generally cost a few more points and had a few less boots on the ground.

Ultramarines: Jack-of-All-Trades

Space Wolves: Close range, counter assault

Blood Angels: Melee choppy

Dark Angels: Elite shooty

Do vets have to wear those robes as I'm using a lot of regular Veteran Space Marines for my vets. I love their designs.

But I noticed few use those for that purpose preparing to solely use the Dark Angels vet kit.

Do vets have to wear those robes as I'm using a lot of regular Veteran Space Marines for my vets. I love their designs.

But I noticed few use those for that purpose preparing to solely use the Dark Angels vet kit.

Thats an aesthetic choice. Many players form fully robed armies. Others use them for veterans only. Others go half and half. It is your choice. The robe though does denote something regarding the secret / structure of the DA it is pretty much muddy.

I use to denote veteran status (not specifically inner circle) and never use them on devs.

Archived