Sweep attacks and fliers

Someone mentioned this on Necrontyr Online and I thought it was a critical query:

Can a Catacomb Command Barge (or other Skimming Chariots) perfrom Sweep Attacks when moving "over" fliers?

I can't find anything in the rule book to suggest it can't actually, since the Sweep Attacks aren't close combat attacks and technically will still work!

Cheesey I suppose, but I could imagine a Command Barge flying high on an intercept to a jet and the Overlord sticking his Warscythe in the air and letting the jet's own velocity carving it's own wing off!

Someone mentioned this on Necrontyr Online and I thought it was a critical query:

Can a Catacomb Command Barge (or other Skimming Chariots) perfrom Sweep Attacks when moving "over" fliers?

I can't find anything in the rule book to suggest it can't actually, since the Sweep Attacks aren't close combat attacks and technically will still work!

Cheesey I suppose, but I could imagine a Command Barge flying high on an intercept to a jet and the Overlord sticking his Warscythe in the air and letting the jet's own velocity carving it's own wing off!

This is a good question.

If I had to follow logic, and I really hope logic will matter :tu:, the command barge moves on lower altitudes than flyers (thus the skimmer type). Since Vector strike mentions flyers I suppose GW wanted to list an exception (otherwise why writing about flyers and not mention "units" like in the other rules?).

Another question for the next FAQ, I suppose :lol:

You cant hit a flyer with anything that doesnt roll to hit. This rules out things like Blood Lance, and if a sweep attack doent actually roll to hit then thats out too.

The rule is for shooting as it relates to "snap shot".

This is not a shooting attack.

I can't see anything that would indicate you can't do it.

The only thing would be that you can't move 'over' a flyer in a chariot but that is totally not rules argument.

What's making you doubt it, Idaho?

As a Necron player it's less doubt but more validation of the attack. It also doesn't quite feel right. It seems a pretty water tight, though it looks a little difficult to pull off unless the opponent gets close, since you can only perform Sweep Attacks in the movement phase, which limits the reach to 12".

As a Necron player it's less doubt but more validation of the attack. It also doesn't quite feel right. It seems a pretty water tight, though it looks a little difficult to pull off unless the opponent gets close, since you can only perform Sweep Attacks in the movement phase, which limits the reach to 12".

Add in the requirement for the necron model to finish its move and place its base 1 inch or further past the other side of the raven base and the sweeping attack is going to require starting from at least within 4-7 inches from the raven depending on base orientation.

I guess sweep can be done but only if the raven is left carelessly close within sweep range. There is only one reason to place a raven that close. I doubt the necron player will have sweep attacks on his mind at that point :lol:

I wouldn't either, but it's certainly not a cheesey tactic when you consider just how difficult it is to be set up in a way to make such an attack.

I wouldn't either, but it's certainly not a cheesey tactic when you consider just how difficult it is to be set up in a way to make such an attack.

You cant hit a flyer with anything that doesnt roll to hit. This rules out things like Blood Lance, and if a sweep attack doent actually roll to hit then thats out too.

That's not accurate. It's just blasts and templates that don't work.

Imotekh can shoot them down with his staff that fires a line of lightning, Doom Scythes can shoot them down with their Death Ray line.

Anyhow, I see nothing at all wrong with chopping aircraft out of the sky for a Catacomb Command Barge+Overlord. Totally rules legal.

An Overlord flying his CCB up to intercept a low flying aircraft and carve a chunk off of it? Awesome mental image.

For other NON-flying Chariots tho, like the new Slannesh doom wagons....yea, that'd be weird.

Archived