To Dread or not to Dread

Frankly an AP - weapon at the cost of losing an Attack isn't wowing me, even if it is S6, Assault 2 and Rending. I don't see a competent opponent charging an AV13 walker unless they're toting a Fist/Hammer/Klaw/Melta Bombs so dropping the three (MEQ) guys I can statistically expect to kill with my Overwatch shot probably won't stop the Furioso getting slagged.

What am I missing? Wouldn't keeping the Fists (or giving it Talons) and paying the minimal tariff for a Heavy Flamer be a better option?

Sorry but a S6, assault 2, rending template weapon is one of the best infantry killers we have as long as you don't try to slog it. Preferably with the heavy flamer so you can really play around with the different AP and force a ton of saves. Denying cover is huge too and together with the new casualty removal rules it's quite easy to get rid of a particular model in a squad. After all, the models that matter the most are those that can hurt you, if you can remove the sarge or melta gunner before the combat even starts your dread is in a very good position.

If you still don't want to model it at least proxy one for a few games. I'm sure you will be surprised at just how versatile they are.

Frag Cannon/Meltagun/Magna Grapple Furiosos are so versatile.

They can drop in and cause a great deal of pain to almost any target.

2 of them is even better.

The only thing that you should keep in mind is that you do not want to have to much in reserve.

The Dreads are fantastic in pods. Stormravens are almost mandatory if you want to have a tournament list.

So take both into account.

My personal experience says:

Thake 1 cost-effective dread in a pod to scare the living hell out of your opponents or break their stalmate set-up.

In most cases you'll lose your dreads in the battle, note that if this is not the case ask yourself how effective he is in your army.

Blood Angels in general can use assistance in close combat. The Dread is perfect for exactly this but do note that the assistance comes late and make sure you still have enough bodies to assist :(

Archived