Starting to Play BA

davidmn

With the introduction of 6th edition I am going to get back into the swing of things and play. The last time I played at all was 4th and since then I've basically forgotten everything, which is probably a good thing.

I'm looking to build a 1500pt BA army over the next few months (hopefully not too long). I'm starting with a friend of mine and we have decided that we are going to start with 500pt and add on from there until we reach our goal. I'm looking for a fluffy and fun list rather than a "competitive" list. Oh and I'd like to get some flyers in there at some point because I think they are cool.

So my two man questions are:

1] Where do I start? I'm thinking Librarian in Terminator Armour, 10man Assault with 2 Meltas and a power weapon. Beyond that I'm not sure where to go.

2] Where would be a good way to go after that? I'm probably going to be playing against other power armoured foes because my friend is looking to do a Word Bearers army.

Hope you can help,

Dave

PS

If this is a really common question, feel free to direct me to some generic answer. I don't want to waste your time if I am being a massive idiot.

Ok, so then why not give your Librarian a JP too? If you give him TDA he's going to be very isolated and vulnerable on his own or he's going to slow down your Assault Squad.

I'm guessing that you're thinking he'll use Wings of Sanguinus to keep up with the Assault Squad? If so, IMO, it's not reliable enough and, in my experience, it'll fail when you need it most.

PS. I used to live in Ecclesall. Go Owls.

I didn't know I could do that. That makes a lot of sense.

What kit should I give him other than the JP? If he's going to rolling with the Assault Squad I assume a power weapon?

I moved to Sheffield for Uni. Nice place.

I didn't know I could do that. That makes a lot of sense.

What kit should I give him other than the JP? If he's going to rolling with the Assault Squad I assume a power weapon?

I moved to Sheffield for Uni. Nice place.

You also need a sangunary priest to give Feel no pain and furious charge to all blood angel models within 6" . The priest will make the assault marines soooo much better. And he needs a jump pack too :(

I would also recommend a storm raven if you wanna run flyers. They are awesome and you can load up a dreadnought that can assault on the turn it disembarks.

The Librarian comes with a Force Weapon as standard, which is a power weapon with extra benefits.

I'd probably give him some Melta-Bombs so that you can dish a bit of damage to vehicles in assault, if needed. They're cheap. At 500pts I'm not sure you need to give him anything else.

If I remember correctly and my maths is right a JP Librarian with MBs and an Assault Squad with 2xMG and PW will leave you 145pts. You need two troop units for a legal army so you could take a six or seven-man Assault Squad and give them some upgrades

Good good, also that Sanguinary priest is going to make it feel more like a BA army than red Ultra army.

So so far I'll be doing:

Librarian +JP

Sanguinary Priest +JP

10 Man Assault Squad +JP

My my maths (and guess work) that's about 470 points?

Storm Ravens are what I was thinking of. I was thinking of having that with a Furioso dreadnought in it.

PS

Ah after the last comment, so I could do 2 squads of Assault Marines, with different sizes/reduced sizes to make it to 500pt and legal. Then I can add the priest.

When you get to buying models, DO NOT buy the generic Assault Marines or Tactical Marines. Instead, buy Death Company boxes. You get the same amount of dudes, plus way more stuff AND a bunch of Blood Angel bits to make your dudes look awesome instead of boring. You can use the DC kit to make DC (obv), Assault Marines, Tactical Marines, Priests, Librarians, Chaplains, Captains, maybe even some of the special HQs. They're a great kit, and provide everything you need.

EDIT: For a 500 Point list, I'd do:

Libby with JP and Force Axe = 125

Priest with JP and Power Axe = 90

5 Assault Marines with Meltagun, Power Sword and Infernus Pistol on Sergeant = 140

5 Assault Marines with Meltagun, Power Sword and Infernus Pistol on Sergeant = 140

Total = 495, so some dude gets a meltabomb.

One IC goes with each squad. The Sergeant takes challenges, while the ICs wipe out the rest of the squad with their WS5, AP2 weapons.

When you get to buying models, DO NOT buy the generic Assault Marines or Tactical Marines. Instead, buy Death Company boxes. You get the same amount of dudes, plus way more stuff AND a bunch of Blood Angel bits to make your dudes look awesome instead of boring. You can use the DC kit to make DC (obv), Assault Marines, Tactical Marines, Priests, Librarians, Chaplains, Captains, maybe even some of the special HQs. They're a great kit, and provide everything you need.

EDIT: For a 500 Point list, I'd do:

Libby with JP and Force Axe = 125

Priest with JP and Power Axe = 90

Total = 495, so some dude gets a meltabomb.

One IC goes with each squad. The Sergeant takes challenges, while the ICs wipe out the rest of the squad with their WS5, AP2 weapons.

That sounds good to me.

I like to give my SP a power weapon. At 500pts another body on the ground (or in the air) might be a better investment, though.

What's SP short for? Is there a thread on here with all of the acronyms?

SP is Sanguinary Priest. I don't think there is an acronym thread. I'll list the most common Blood Angel-centric/relevant ones that I can think of... though some of them may be personal to me.

SG - Sanguinary Guard

HG - Honour Guard

MB - Melta-Bombs

PW - Power Weapon

JP - Jump-Pack

LC - Lightning Claw

SS - Storm Shield

TH - Thunder Hammer

PF - Power Fist

MG - Meltagun

PG - Plasma Gun

IP - Infernus Pistol

DC - Death Company

DCD - Death Company Dreadnought

SR - Stormraven Gunship

RAS - Assault Squad

VV - Vanguard Veterans

The Librarian comes with a Force Weapon as standard, which is a power weapon with extra benefits.

I'd probably give him some Melta-Bombs so that you can dish a bit of damage to vehicles in assault, if needed. They're cheap. At 500pts I'm not sure you need to give him anything else.

If I remember correctly and my maths is right a JP Librarian with MBs and an Assault Squad with 2xMG and PW will leave you 145pts. You need two troop units for a legal army so you could take a six or seven-man Assault Squad and give them some upgrades

Librarians for some insane reason can not take meltabombs.

im in same boat as you i started in 4th and came back 1 month ago. ill tell you waht iv learnt is lots of assault marines and day breaks advice on buying death company box excelent i havent thought of that so do that i recomend some attack bikes with mm only 2 at first. Storm ravens rock so good. i put a furioso with blood talons and 5 death company with astorth in it. dont take my advice to well im still a noob although i won lunch hammer tournament 5-0 :D. but anyway good luck with your army

• 2 weeks later...
Dc are an expensive way to buy tactical marines....

Great for the extras, so yeah, never buy assault marines, but do they even come with boltguns?

DC come with Boltguns. I'd be pretty miffed if they didn't come with them!

You probably want DC at some point so a few boxes of DC for 'bits' as well as DC models will do you fine, not everything can be used for Tacs/RAS (some stuff has DC crosses on it etc).

- Dallas

Question, is it worth giving the Liby a multimelta? It's going to push me to 505 points but seeing as this army is going to expand over time that wont be an issue for too long.

Do you mean an infernus pistol? The multimelta is a heavy weapon usually carried by attack bikes and dreadnoughts.

The army daybreak posted is pretty good. When you take it to 1000pts, I would say to have at least 20 models worth of scoring unit. If you wanted the stormraven and furioso at 1000: Stormraven+furioso+tactical squad comes to 495pts again, which slots nicely into the 495pts from the previous list.

Sorry. I mean't combi-meltagun. That would take me to 505. With the Infernus it goes to 510.

Combi-melta would only give you one shot with the melta, and the rest with a two handed bolter. so you only benifit the melta once per game, and lose out on the extra attacks the librarian would get on the charge with his force weapon, and a pistol type weapon. I personally keep him simple.

But if your wanting to add some flare to him add a hand flamer, or infernus pistol it does come in handy. I'd say the hand flamer more so because its a good crowd control weapon, and gives you that extra attack. And even thou it has higher AP, and low strengh a save is a save, and even SM's roll 1-2's now and again.

DC come with Boltguns. I'd be pretty miffed if they didn't come with them!

You probably want DC at some point so a few boxes of DC for 'bits' as well as DC models will do you fine, not everything can be used for Tacs/RAS (some stuff has DC crosses on it etc).

- Dallas

Even so, a ten man tactical box costs less than a 5 man dc squad

I'm iffy on hand flamers.

Grown up flamers are absolutely brutal though.

Week after week, I hit 6 models with a flamer, and 6 with another, and THEN I charge ;)

When you get to buying models, DO NOT buy the generic Assault Marines or Tactical Marines.

This is sage advice should you wish to be the King-of-Bling, wake up during the night in a cold sweat worrying how many details are left to paint, and want the same 5 legs and torsos throughout your entire army. ;)

Variety is the spice of life. Kit bashing is great fun, and lets face it marines are spoilt, so grab what ever you fancy to make your force super cool.

Archived