remote platforms now viable?

Lord Ultimar

I have just been looking over IA2 (my meta allow FW rules in 1,500pts+)

and it struck me, is the answer to our flier problem glaringly obvious and people are just overlooking this...

IA2 allows the air defence battry, and automatically shoots at any flier within 36" of the weapon (and you can have 4 as a single HS choice) and as 36" is almost the whole table and this thing has the AA mount rule it can shoot at it's BS2 meaning you hit on 5+ not 6+ and if the flier goes within range of multipul platforms you get multipul shots (and this will happen with a 36" range)

the other side is for the cost of 3 tactical squad meltaguns for can have a single sentry gun, also a HS choice but you can have up to 3 as a single choice (relic mission gold) you deploy these bad boys behind an ADL and let them rip away at any troops that try to take the relic... and with 3 TL heavy bloters ripping in to you all the way out to 36" taking you can only move 6" max witha relic your troop will more than likely be dead before you get safe...

so have these units just cme into there own or are people still going to overlook them?

Probably just that its an IA piece and therefore might need permission to use in games. I know a lot of people who avoid stuff like that only because they dont want to risk not being allowed to use them.

He already said his local meta allows them, and nearly everyone at my FLGS has some. And if your allowed to use forge world units the mortis contemptor is king, with intercepter and skyfire there is nothing he cant kill (even terminators deep striking behind him ;) )

Problem is - statistically the Hyperios Launcher at BS2 is still inferior to either the Icarus or the Quadgun. Only reaching parity with the Icarus if you have 2 launchers fire on a Flyer, while it takes 4 launchers per Flyer to approach parity with a Quadgun. Yes, it is nice that it doesn't need to be manned. But a Whirlwind Hyperios is near parity with the Icarus at one BS4 shot.

One Icarus costs the same as one Hyperios sentry. Four Hyperios sentries cost the same as one Whirlwind Hyperios.

Another thing to consider is that the Hyperios Sentry has neither the Skyfire or the Interceptor rule per the FAQ - so it could be argued that it only hits on 6's and can't Intercept flyers in the enemy Movement phase. Reducing it's effectiveness considerably.

Archived