Terrain Building

A friend of mine has several of the Hirst molds for use in building historical looking buildings. They are really great and I wanted to use them to build some 40k buildings.

1. Do you have a link to PDF layouts for 40k buildings using Hirst products?

2. What is considered a small, medium, large terrain size? i.e. 5" diameter or 5"x5" would be thought of as....X

3. What kind of terrain is really useful on the battle field? I don't want to build a lot of stuff that people say is cool but they would never want to use because it just doesn't work with a standard 40k game.

4. If you could build something as a terrain item using these cast blocks what would you build?

Here are a few links to what I am looking at:

Hirst home page: http://www.hirstarts.com/index.html

Project#1: http://www.hirstarts.com/tips23/tips23.html

Project#2: http://www.hirstarts.com/fieldbridge/fieldbridge.html

Any ideas you have for "40king" them up are welcome. I was also thinking of making something that could "count as" each of the official terrain items that can be purchased from the main rule book, like the Bastion of Defense or the Aegis Defense line. Of course you would have to provide your own guns but I could make something using the fieldstone blocks to look similar in size, shape and function.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Heh. Be prepared to be doing a lot of casting before you have enough bricks to build anything. You'll notice that a lot of the plans require dozens, if not hundreds of bricks. Finished products tend to be heavy, too. I found that the effort of trying to build things with the blocks was not as time-effective as buying the kits or building with foamcore and plasticard. If you have the time for it, you can probably get two sets of bricks per casting night, depending on the setting time of your casting material. I figured it was going to take me two weeks of casting to get the bricks for one project.

The resin I use (Easy-flo 60 and 120) has a 45 min demolding time. Granted, you can't cast thin stuff without some warpage, but stuff like this shouldn't be a problem. Could easily pour resin, watch an episode of something on whatever, or paint/build minis, then go back when it's set and pour some more.

These things would work great magnetized, so you could set up different configurations every game!

Here's the official word from Hirst Arts regarding Resin Casting:

You must use spray mold release or the casting plastic will deteriorate your mold! It does this in two ways. Casting plastic (urethane resin) pulls the moisture from the mold which makes it more brittle (and will eventually crack). Also, the isocyanate in casting plastic attacks the mold. Spray mold release will extend the life of the mold greatly. So far, I've gotten 50 casts from a mold with no apparent wear on it using casting resin. However, results may vary depending on how well you spray the mold, what brand of mold release you use and what type of casting resin you use.

For most of the molds, I would suggest using dental plaster. Casting plastic is more expensive and a little more trouble to use. However, there are molds which require casting resin to get good results (such as mold #46, the gothic graveyard mold).

As always, YMMV.

I just picked up the Gothic building molds myself(basic,church,tower,tomb,roof)

With those 5 you should be able to make any 40k style building,bridges,ect

Heres a really cool idea,Scibor makes the Round Rossettes of Death that look like the perfect size for the tower window.

I got two on order along with the molds and the tower with be the first one I do.

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for the explanation Preredyne.

Esinhorn: looking forward to seeing it. I would like to get some of the gothic molds in the future, right now I am using the ones my friend already had. I am sort of broke from buying models. Please post pics when you get it or even a work in progress thread and hang a link in here to it.

I actually have a dehydrator, but I live in Texas and right now it is 102-110 F evert dat so they are drying great just leaving them on cookie sheets in the back yard. :) Thanks for the tip though. I will probably use it when it gets to winter and the temperature drops below 80 F.

Archived