What's the best force weapon for a SM Librarian?

Cmdr Shepard

Currently i have been proxying my Njal model as a standard libby/rune priest in TDA, and since the model includes a staff, thats what Ive been calling it. I am not 100% sure if its legal though due to the unusual force/power weapon rules and a force weapon has some special rules to it, but its been working ok for me. Generally my HQ is a support character though so I dont want him in close combat much, and if he does the extra strength has helped him wound things he wouldnt otherwise have done. Plus his WS is high enough that he does ok just getting hits. The only issue is the AP, but all you need is one wound to instagib them if you get your force weapon power off.

My Terminator Librarian is the one from the old metal kit (with the book on his head, which I have instead in his out-stretched hand as a counts-as Storm Shield) and he's got a staff. The AP4 is a little annoying, especially since he always took Sanguine Sword (S10) in the past...S +2 is totally needless, so it's purely a nerf for my standard Librarian.

If I take Biomancy and get Iron Hand/Arm whatever, then I'm S7-S10 and I get Eternal Warrior...which is nice but it's not a sure thing.

I would rebuild him with a sword, were he not so beautiful. :(

For a Libby with TDA and a storm shield, I'd say an axe. The 2+/3++ gives you resiliency to keep you alive to hit at I1, and the S5 AP2 gives you the best chance to wound characters/monsters AND pen their armor to allow a successful Force activation. For a power armored Libby, things get clouded. I expect the sword would be best, though the staff certainly isn't bad thanks to the Strength bonus.

My Librarian has a sword, as that's how he was modelled. I'm fine with it, as he can cut through normal Marines with ease while being very tough to break down.

However, as DEF says, an axe would probably be better due to his durability meaning he's more able to be to swing his weapon. I would be a little wary though due to his only having two wounds, but with something like Iron Arm or Warp Speed he could really lay down some serious hurt.

I just had a thought. An epistolary with force axe, and might of ancients joined to a unit with Khan (who gives his unit furious charge) is strength 8 on the charge... Give him terminator armor and have fun hunting monstrous creatures, and characters :)

Gota go the Axe, but only if your running a shield. The Strength is wasted, of course, if he's a Blood Angel with the Sanguine Sword, but you need the AP2 for the increase in Terminators, and you can afford the I1 because of the 3++. If you weren't spending all those points on the shield, (which I always would on a Libby), then I would just go for a sword. :)

Thanks for your suggestions, Battle Brothers

I'd prefer to not give the Librarian a Force Staff. +2S and concussive is nice but standard MEQs will still get their 3+ save.

Sword would be a balanced choice but it will still struggle against 2+ saves.

I just completed a match where my 3 Dreadknights survived countless attacks from Death Company and Vanguard veterans. Having the 2+ save means a lot, as we all know :)

I believe I'll give him the axe. As mentioned in other replies the storm shield should keep him safe enough to deliver it's AP2 attacks.

Currently I plan to use the Librarian in a C:SM list but since I'll model him as a Deathwatch Librarian he could be used with other armies too (as I suppose that if the model shows the correct equipment it can be used in other armies as well)

Just brief question:

The rulebook says that a standard force weapon who looks like an halberd is considered a foce axe. So I can use the blade of a Nemesis halberd for the conversion. Am I right?

Just brief question:

The rulebook says that a standard force weapon who looks like an halberd is considered a foce axe. So I can use the blade of a Nemesis halberd for the conversion. Am I right?

That is correct. I plan to do something similar with my models, as I don't like the look of power axes, but I do like the look of halberds, so to get the power axe I'll just model my guys with halberds.

Just brief question:

That is correct. I plan to do something similar with my models, as I don't like the look of power axes, but I do like the look of halberds, so to get the power axe I'll just model my guys with halberds.

I did it and the model is nice :P

I'm not a huge fan of the power/force axes' look. I think they are better suited for chapter like Space Wolves. The Halberd looks like a more refined weapon.

I cut the "two-headed eagle" from the staff and I glued the Halberd's blade where the "Aquila" was.

The new weapon looks like a rare artifact; an epic weapon worth of a legendary warrior.

It was a simple conversion, after all and the results were pleasing.

My Terminator Librarian is the one from the old metal kit (with the book on his head, which I have instead in his out-stretched hand as a counts-as Storm Shield) and he's got a staff. The AP4 is a little annoying, especially since he always took Sanguine Sword (S10) in the past...S +2 is totally needless, so it's purely a nerf for my standard Librarian.

If I take Biomancy and get Iron Hand/Arm whatever, then I'm S7-S10 and I get Eternal Warrior...which is nice but it's not a sure thing.

I would rebuild him with a sword, were he not so beautiful. :D

Put a sword on your staff, make it a halberd.

I just had a thought. An epistolary with force axe, and might of ancients joined to a unit with Khan (who gives his unit furious charge) is strength 8 on the charge... Give him terminator armor and have fun hunting monstrous creatures, and characters :D

Sounds like a rather troublesome way to achieve powerfist power. Just take a captain with a powerfist instead(becomes STR 9 or 10 with furious charge!) :cuss

Also might of ancienst fails 1 out of 6 times and wounds the libby 1 out of 6 times.

Think about MC. A libie hitting at STR 5 or higher with a FW can instant kill most MC through the force weapon. Higher strength means a much better chance of getting a wound in.

A part from Chaos Daemons MCs (they are eternal warriors) he can dispatch other MCs by dealing a single wound, especially if he is Mastery Level 2 and can cast an "upgrade power" on himself before activating the force weapon.

actually, a sword on a staff would make it a spear, a halberd would need an axe-spear combination ( see here : Spear and halberd )

Well if were going to be all technical most spearheads werent long enough to be proper swords- a closer idea to the sword on a haft would be the naginata, wich was used more like a halberd than a spear.

Yep, in Marine on marine or Marine on Necron fights, the force stave is just a bad performer. Now, vs other races, even some 4++ demons, can be awesome. Staves are like S6 AP4 thunder hammers.

That said, as soon as possible I need to mod my TDA/SS libby to having a force axe.

Archived