Scout bikes in 6th

Kingkaneda

Ive been using a 3 bike scout bikesquad with clustermines, combimelta and meltabombs since 5th edition. For 95 points you got a great landraider killer(combimelta+meltabombs), a semidecent tarpit unit if you charge(toughness 5 helps), and some support for a backfield scout unit or infiltrated scout unit in cover(clustermines). Ive used them in my 6th games, and they still are great at blowing landraiders up(even better now actually since the meltabombs hit on a 3+ in CC).

But Im wondering wether a BIG scout squad has become more viable thanx to hammer of wrath? 10 scoutbikes shooting 10 twinlinked bolters and then charing in and scoring 10 hammer of wrath hits, and then throwing in 21 CC attacks sounds like a really flexible kill every units ever for only 210 points.

VS toughness 4 and WS 4

10 twinlinked bolters rapid firing with BS 3(sergeant has 4, but Ill leave it out for now)= average 15 hits= 7,5 W

10 Hammer of wrath hits at S 4= 4 W

21 CC attacks with WS 3(sergeant has 4, but Ill leave it out for now)= 10,5 hits= 5,25 W

7,5+4+5,25= 16,75 W!!!!!

This equals to about 5-6 dead marines and 2-3 dead terminators on average+being able to tarpit really well with 10 toughness 5 wounds. Putting in a PF might even be better.

VS toughness 3 and WS 5-6

10 twinlinked bolters rapid firing with BS 3(sergeant has 4, but Ill leave it out for now)= average 15 hits= 10W

10 Hammer of wrath hits at S 4= 6,6 W

21 CC attacks with WS 3(sergeant has 4, but Ill leave it out for now)= 10,5 hits= 6,78 W

10+6,6+6,78= 23,38 W!!!!

When this T3 enemy has a 5+ save, it equals 19-20 kills!!!!

So what do you think? Great horde killer wich is flexible enough to target a lot of different units with succes? Or overpriced fanboyism?

Edit: Thanks to twinlinked also a decent light flyer killer I'd think

rapid fire= 20 shots at twinlinked BS 1= around 5-6 hits .... ok just 1 glancing on average VS AV 10. Not so great after all. Decent for overwatch though.

i used a large ten man unit throughout 5th ed with varied success.

they are great against hordes tbh, orks for example are easy to charge with your greater mobility, and only have S3, eldar, IG etc are easy to knock down.

personally as much as i love the TL bolters i always max out the grenade launchers, the problem is for those extra 10 points they arent twin linked so results can be spotty at best when firing at vehciles.

the S3 templates however are excellent and being rapid fire they get 6 of them.

might not sound like much but i once had a unit of ten kill 4 terminators in the shooting pahse and charge in to kill the last before he could strike.

alright that might be an example of good fortune, but i consistently had good results vs eldar and basic tac squads etc.

the challenges do create a small issue, if your running PW you dont get +1A becuase he doesnt have a pistol anymore.. bit iffy IMO

hordes are definately thier favourite target, although without alpha striking, id probably keep them at over 12" from the enemy in turn one, ad close the gap to get the charge for turn 2

• 1 month later...

This thread is too short yet. ^^

@ GC08: Math says that killing ~2 TEq with 6 templates is quite probable. Add some TL bolters and close combat, consider their little amount of atticks and you have quite good chances with a large scout bike squad against a small terminator unit (for nearly the same cost).

What I’m wondering about is how to equip the Sgt. in a squad lager than a mobile combimelta/meltabomb, whether 5–6 or full 10 bikes.

Some kind of combiweapon should find a consensus, I think, depending on the squad’s role and the remaining army. Same for the beacon: depends on remaining army. But what about close combat?

An optimizing mind, seeing one of the Sgts hands on the bar, immediately thinks: Either powerfist or none at all. But you probably won’t use another character in the unit and in a time of challenges buying a 20P expensive weapon on a 1W 4+ model you probably want to save for his Ld or an eventual beacon (and therefore decline most challenges) might be not the best idea.

So far my theory on this. Any thoughts?

• 7 months later...

I am considering a minimum squad - 3, with just a locator beacon, to guide my drop pod army, assuming first turn. Should I get second turn, I guess I'd have wasted 100 or so points, unless I can hide them in a useful position, or use them to outflank.

Anyone else had any luck with this? 

Archived