1:1 Scale Bolt Pistol

Newtype

actually, shooting a Bolter or Bolt Pistol wouldn't be that bad. As was written long ago, in Rogue Trader, an initial gas charge blows the bolt out of the barrel and then the solid fuel rocket kicks in.

A good comparison for anyone who has one would be firing a 10ga 3 1/2in magnum 425 grain slug in rapid fire. Kicks WAYYY worse than I imagine a real Bolter would since it is a powder charge projectile, not  a mini-rocket.

A fellow gamer took a Saiga 10ga, cut the barrel down to approximate a bolter and stuck a 20rnd magazine in it, we all took turns at it and decided that either GW needed to make the caliber of the weapon bigger or Space Marines 'ain't all that'. Firing one handed was possible, not accurate in ANY sense of the word, but possible, 2 handed from the hip, 5 shot groups of around 12 inches could be had at 15 yards.  Aimed fire brought that down a little, 8-9 inches, but the short barrel, screwed the accuracy even with rifled slugs.

Almost forgot, before anyone howls that Saiga doesn't make a 10ga, early samples of their guns were not exactly to spec by American standards, turning an early 12ga into a 10 only required minor work by a competent

gunsmith, it was a little pricey, but hey, that's what the dude wanted, that's what he got.

Should have learned his lesson though, magnum slugs tore that thing apart after only a few dozen rounds.

Didn't burst on him, but close, he still has it to show to people.

@Wolf Lord Barak

Never fired a slug before, nor have I fired a saiga........ have wanted to though.

The grendel is probably the gnarliest round I have fired and far as recoil is concerned.

The AK platform doesn't handle recoil on a 7.62 round all that great though (very manageable, but I like my AR more). So does a Saiga just look like an AK whilst functioning different?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've now sanded down the body of the pistol and have started to fill the missed spots with glazing putty. I've also added the rivit/bolt detail that is seen on the outer body of the gun. As seen here:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/Donnewtype/Works%20In%20Progress/40K%20Bolt%20Pistol/BoltPistolWIPDetailAdded2_zps72afecf2.jpg

And here:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/Donnewtype/Works%20In%20Progress/40K%20Bolt%20Pistol/BoltPistolWIPDetailAdded_zpsedd6fb05.jpg

I used 1/4" button head cap screws because of the assembled machine finish they lend it. I'll use two more on the grip so it looks like its attached to the main body. Also added is a fine channel along the back of the gun. It's the white line that you see below the circle detail. Its ment to portray a slider mechanisim that would be used to eject a missfired round. You grab the rear of the gun by the disks and then pull the slider back, ejecting the dud round. Next up is cutting out the Imperial Aquila to add to the sides of it.

My wife thought it would be funny if I posed with it in the kitchen under our unofficial house welcome:http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/Donnewtype/Works%20In%20Progress/40K%20Bolt%20Pistol/BoltPistolatHome_zpsc6076d59.jpg

I'll have to dig out the bolt I was making from 1" diameter dowel and finish that up to display along with my 'Dispenser of the Emperor's Justice.'

More to come.

Archived