Space Marine Armor: The Blog

ArgumentGuy

Good day, Brothers. I want to point you in the direction of my new blog, which is a work-in-progress documentary on the making of a wearable suit of Space Marine armor.

The Path of the Initiate: The Journey Begins...

I'll post updates here as they appear, which should be fairly regularly (a couple of times a month, probably).

Comments, suggestions, questions are all welcome.

Legitimate question: Why does everyone try to make full Astartes plate, which never looks quite right at regular human scale, rather than making scout armor, which would scale better?

That said, best of luck to you, sir!

interesting....when wearing this, it will probably be the most accurate representation of a true-scale marine that I've ever seen :) ...by the way what MK?

thats a bold statment, considering theres not even a single picture posted yet.

interesting....when wearing this, it will probably be the most accurate representation of a true-scale marine that I've ever seen :) ...by the way what MK?

thats a bold statment, considering theres not even a single picture posted yet.

Not at all, a 6ft space marine is closer to "true scale" than a 3 inch one ;)

Newest Blog Post

The newest blog post is now up. Check it out!

First question (and sorry if it's apparent and I just missed it) - which chapter are you going for?

No, you're correct, it wasn't apparent. It wasn't apparent because I haven't decided yet. I plan to make a basic suit without any chapter-specific markings at first, and then add on the symbols and things once I've made my decision. But it's so hard to choose!

I've been doing a bit of research, both on the minis themselves and on other full-sized suits made by other enthusiasts, and I think I've come up with a good plan for making my suit. Although, if anyone has any suggestions or comments as the process goes along, I welcome them! :)

...by the way what MK?

Most of the suit will be Mk VII, but I want to use Mk VI greaves because they'll most likely be easiest to fabricate.

I'll also be using a variation on a Mk VII helmet, because I hate beaky helmets. Sorry.

As an ex-Cosplayer I wish you the best of luck!

I think mk.7 is probably the best to go for if you want recognisability. So, in a similar vein you could choose one of the more well-known Chapters: Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Dark Angels or Space Wolves. The latter would best suit someone with a fair bit of facial hair. Is that you? :(

With them being the poster-boys for 6th Ed., and their new codex coming out next year, why not make it a suit of DA armour?

As an ex-Cosplayer I wish you the best of luck!

I think mk.7 is probably the best to go for if you want recognisability. So, in a similar vein you could choose one of the more well-known Chapters: Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Dark Angels or Space Wolves. The latter would best suit someone with a fair bit of facial hair. Is that you? :o

With them being the poster-boys for 6th Ed., and their new codex coming out next year, why not make it a suit of DA armour?

Well, I've narrowed down the Chapter to a select few: Ultramarines (which I like, but, and forgive the hipster speak, they seem a little on the...mainstream...side) Blood Ravens (Pretty recognizable thanks to Dawn of War) Imperial Fists, and Black Templars (which I'm leaning away from because I've seen a lot of full size Templars) Sorry, Space Wolves fans, i don't have the dwarven facial hair to pull that off.

I'm also debating whether or not to do it up in my own Chapter scheme (Imperial Knights; metallic grey armor with navy blue and gold accents) Although perhaps not. In any case, I have plenty of time to figure it out.

I would recommend that when you build this...in the arm and shoulder area (upper traps, deltoids and outer bicep and tricep heads) you bulk out the armor there. If you look at space marines in artwork,and even in models, they're arms are not only impossibly too bulky, but appear to start almost parallel with their head. Since you can't change your body structure, change the armor, so that when your in it, it looks like you're built that way. Does that make sense?

I would recommend that when you build this...in the arm and shoulder area (upper traps, deltoids and outer bicep and tricep heads) you bulk out the armor there. If you look at space marines in artwork,and even in models, they're arms are not only impossibly too bulky, but appear to start almost parallel with their head. Since you can't change your body structure, change the armor, so that when your in it, it looks like you're built that way. Does that make sense?

I'm actually planning a blog post all about Space Marine proportions. I hope it'll meet with your approval, Brother.

I would have to respectfully disagree with bulking it out, I can see what your saying about the upper body and you're completely right about not being able to change body shape ;).

The best space marine costumes that ive seen basically fall into tow categories.

1. Scaled down armours that are designed to fit a standard human frame. This is more of a suit of armour that has the styling but not the proportions.

2. A scaled up rig with stilts and hands that end in the forearms so its 8 feet tall and the hands are just fixed in a fist or holding a weapon.

I tend to feel like option 1 is better but you will have to work on the proportions very carefully to get it right.

Something like this.

http://ani.me/site_media/media/articles/20...0x10000_q85.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived