Combat Squads and transports

ssjcloudx

did anyone else just notice this little gem in the new faq that came out?

"Note that two combat squads split from the same unit can embark in the same transport vehicle, providing its transport capacity allows"

so we can combat squad our tacticals and keep both units in the rhino at the same time, potentially allowing to move up the board and disembark 2 seperate units

seems like an interesting idea, now i just gotta try out some new tactics to use this to our advantage.

:) cmon toaster...

yeah, great change. and overdue. Takes a away a really annoying aspect of combat squadding.

Combat squads are nice for offering you a split fire option, or giving mini specialties based on the loadouts. However, keep in mind that if an enemy charges a single squad, only that combat squad will get overwatch shots, so they weather charges worse than if they stay blobbed. On the other hand, if you split and they choose to charge both, they will lose their charge attack bonus because of "disorderly attack" (or whatever the name is) for charging multiple units.

It's really up to the situation, but some things to keep in mind.

So, my question is: given a ten man unit with a Rhino, split into combat squads - can the two combat squads disembark and later re-embark into the same transport later in the game?

At a first glance it appears that this can be done, however the paragraph mentioning the part about combat squads and transports is discussing pre-deployment and deployment and not the course of the game. Further, the BRB transport rules indicate that only one unit can be embarked on a transport at a time.

So, within the context of the rules, can we have the two combat squads re-embark into the same transport in a game?

(I'll be honest, I would really like this to be true, but I don't want to misinterpret it, either!)

• 3 weeks later...
With the FAQ now allowing combat squads to both embark on the squads dedicated transport, would this mean that from the top hatch of the rhino I can have one marine from each combat squad fire out? And since they are two separate units, can they choose different targets? What do you guys think?

-_- cmon toaster...

yeah, great change. and overdue. Takes a away a really annoying aspect of combat squadding.

Combat squads are nice for offering you a split fire option, or giving mini specialties based on the loadouts. However, keep in mind that if an enemy charges a single squad, only that combat squad will get overwatch shots, so they weather charges worse than if they stay blobbed. On the other hand, if you split and they choose to charge both, they will lose their charge attack bonus because of "disorderly attack" (or whatever the name is) for charging multiple units.

It's really up to the situation, but some things to keep in mind.

With judicious model placement, it is possible to make it impossible to charge one unit without coming within 1" of another units models; thereby necessitating a 'disorderly charge' if they wish to charge at all. Of course, this is not limited to combat squads, but combat squads probably stand a better chance of pulling this tactic off.

With judicious model placement, it is possible to make it impossible to charge one unit without coming within 1" of another units models; thereby necessitating a 'disorderly charge' if they wish to charge at all.

The 1" rule does not apply to assaulting models BRB pg.21

....following the same rules as in the Movement phase, with the exception that they can be moved within 1" of enemy models.

Archived