DA release schedule...

Isiah

So DA release stuff from rumour and conjecture:

• 40K box set - Sept 2012
  • Possible DA faq - same time as box set release
  • FW HH first book - October 2012
  • DA 5th Ed Codex - April 2013.

5th Codex DA

It looks like this has been pushed back a bit even though it might actually already have been produced or at least written:

[Please remember that these are rumors. http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/games...estyranids.html]

Model production and codex production are decoupled after the planning phase now. Warriors of Chaos, Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marine codices are finished, Tau and High Elves nearly finished. Models for all of them plus Eldar are finished (modeled, not necessarily mass produced or boxed). Dark Elves nearly finished. Dwarfs, Wood Elves and Space Marines models are in the works. Release dates are, Chaos Space Marines (October 2012), Warriors of Chaos (November 2012), High Elves (February 2013), Dark Angels (April 2013) and the rest is not fixed.

Another DA faq

Add to that another possible round of 6th Ed faqs in the meantime:

[Please remember that these are rumors. http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/40k-f...are-coming.html]

FAQ's are said to be on their way to us sometime around September. It seems that GW is taking notes (like at the Chicago Games Day) and trying hard to get a very good FAQ update done for the game.

via Adam at Space Wolves

FAQs

New FAQs are coming around the time of release of the new stater set. This will be the first of the regular PDF updates for 40K.

There was meant to be a massive FAQ update when 6th came out, but they only FAQ'd the psychic powers, which was a big disappointment for many people.

The games designers made a last minute decision to allow everyone to digest the 6th edition rules for a while before making more alterations to the balance of the game.

The big FAQ roll out is coming in a couple of months.

GW is planning to maintain balance with regular FAQ updates and alterations. So, in the example I was given, I was told that Grey Knights Purifiers may have their rules changed or increase in points.

Playing a well rounded army is going to be more important than ever. If you put your faith in death star or the spamming of certain units, you could be in for a rude awakening each time a new PDF Update is rolled out.

White Dwarf: new units and rules updates

White Dwarf. White Dwarf is taking a different direction when it comes to battle reports. Apparently we're going to start seeing some proper tournament style armies and seriously brutal battle reports September.

Shame on the Codex but I guess the box set and the FW Horus Heresy first campaign book will bide the time over until the new year :). The rumoured faq will be interesting as it seems it will could actually fundamentally change a few things rather than just clarify how rules work / correct rules etc.

Cheers

I

I'm in agreement with Haranin. This will free me up to buy the FW stuff I've been really wanting. I got a Venerable Dreadnought super cheap a month or so back, but I want (2) Chaplain Dreads and a full round of Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pods for them. Quite the expensive endevour. This also gives me time to paint my last 12 Terminators and (5) Land Raiders before the release. I want to get my Deathwing to the stage of being fully painted and based before buying anything more.

I know I am a newer member to the Dark Angels thing, but I'm really not too saddened by the additional wait. It will be kind of crappy if we are in the starter set and don't get a good update when it comes out. Will be sad to be a 6th edition CSM codex vs a 4th edition DA codex. Balance will be WAY off me thinks.

Oh well, Just my 2c.

Paul

It will be kind of crappy if we are in the starter set and don't get a good update when it comes out. Will be sad to be a 6th edition CSM codex vs a 4th edition DA codex. Balance will be WAY off me thinks.

That part bugs me as well. It gives me a little hope that this FAQ coming in Sept. might have major changes for the current DA codex perhaps. I mean, if you put an army in the starter, you want them to be up to snuff.

However, is it correct that the starter kit allows you to play without the respective codices? I've never really looked to hard at the manual (and don't own one myself) How does this work? Do you simply field a preset army list represented exactly by the models they give you?

Do they not even give individual unit costs? If that's the case, I suppose that would counter our overpriced squads (like tactical and bikes in the case of the units that will be in the starter). But what about special rules - would our bikes still be fearless in the starter? To me, that seems like something they might take away from our bikes in a new codex. What about this named Captain? Does he get special rules - will he be what our Company Master in the current dex should be (with WS 6 on par with C:SM Captain)? Could we use him with a regular game using C:DA? And Librarian stats? Will they conflict with whats in our dex now??

EDIT: Okay, I took a look at the AoBR manual. That's what it is, Unit profiles with no points. I'm still curious to see... oh crap... I just had a thought. What if the Deathwing and Ravenwing both don't have fearless (as no units in AoBR do)... and it's a sign of the direction they want to go in for the next dex? RW I'm fine without it, but DW?!?

Lol, Just means more money in my pocket. I won't be able to do much with the hobby next year after February. With the money saved I may be able to buy a new motorcycle/car/house/personal aircraft/City/Nation.

Not if FW has anythingto say on the matter... ;)

Ya know, this is the thing that has always bothered me about GW: The long wait for Codex and models. :lol:! Worst marketing decision ever for a player, and it shows just how much GW respects the player base. These staggered releases and looooong wait times are to maximize GW profits. As each Codex is more powerful than the one before it, they sucker people into buying the latest, greatest, most "powerful" army. Damn, I hate that and it's incredibly frustrating to be played like that by a company just so they can have a larger short term profit margin. Worst thing ever for GW to go public on the Stock Exchange!

To sum up: BS on GW for having a complete codex and models sitting around for the DA, and NOT releasing them until April of 2013. Stupid, stupid, stupid and I hope this rumor is just plain WRONG.

:lol:

Oh, and the large FAQ update?

Are you kidding me? I'm going to have to have Emperor knows how many pages of FAQ and my Codex to go play a game? Why didn't they just wipe the slate clean like they did in 3rd edition? Oh that's right! Because they can only work on one thing at a time and release only 1-2 Codex per year. How is it that Privateer Press, a way, way smaller company can not only do a public beta test on a new rules edition, but release a new edition for two games (Hordes and Warmachine), 11 army books, and an expansion book for each system in less then two years? Oh yeah, and during the same period put out two card games? It disgusts me how inept GW seems to be when compared to other companies. GW has so much potential and so many more resources... they could do fantastic things, but instead, they settle, never innovate, never push the envelope for game design, and always, always places the $$ ahead of anything else.

I had such high hopes for 6th Edition, and so far, GW is fumbling the ball in true GW fashion. Why do I keep thinking GW will come through just once?

In the Grim Dark Future, there is no Hope.

How have they managed to stay in business this long? Only the Emperor knows... or maybe they made some kind of Pact with the Dark Powers of Chaos?

/rant off

Eh, if it turns out to be true, it's definitely frustrating, but I've got so much crap to paint (not to mention everything else) that I'm not too terribly affected by it. I don't like playing solely Deathwing rules, so hopefully the FAQ could do something about our points costs so that the standard units aren't so disparate from the rest of the Codexes, otherwise I'll just keep waiting. It is interesting that the Codex will come out almost exactly six years from the last release... Maybe it's supposed to be March 2013, not April?

Edit: Tamwulf, if you are that upset at GW and yet are still going to stick around buy their stuff and play the game(s) they put out, doesn't that indicate that they are doing exactly what they need to to keep people around?

Are you kidding me? I'm going to have to have Emperor knows how many pages of FAQ and my Codex to go play a game?

Good point, maybe we will get lucky and they will release and updated PDF version with all the items changed.

Are you kidding me? I'm going to have to have Emperor knows how many pages of FAQ and my Codex to go play a game?

Good point, maybe we will get lucky and they will release and updated PDF version with all the items changed.

Well if you buy the iBook version it will FAQ update by itself... (Come on back for Spaceballs II The Qvest for More Money. $$$)

Well if you buy the iBook version it will FAQ update by itself... (Come on back for Spaceballs II The Qvest for More Money. $$$)

This thread is awesome. Yall are saying what I'm thinking. I always have more painting to do... but I could do that with a new codex too.

Capt Semper you're absolutely right about FW. Been eyeing those Tartaros Termis for a cmd squad.

Anyone else notice this towards the bottom of the first blog post Isiah linked...

Dark Angels units choose a circle that is kept secret during the game. Only a fraction of the army’s units can take a circle that has an in game effect. Circles can be revealed midgame and grant a special rule depending on the circle.

Hmmm.

FW are heavily rumoured to be doing the HH in a few books, that includes Legion specific shoulder pads and possibly helmets, I'm dreaming about making them 40k models due to the sheer awesomeness of it all.

I don't personally care for the starter set contents, although when robed DW ever eventuate WILL cause me to spend like a maniac.

EDIT: I thinks I just got your point, you live in the USA where FW is expensive. Here in the RoW FW is often cheaper or at least similar to GW similar products, GW hate us. ;) I love FW for their service and products....Bring it on!!

Happy days

s

Cheers for that Brother, I am in the fortunate position to have purchased a crap tonne of GW stuff over the years before the crazy RoW rule came in. I can therefore look at fine tuning instead of creating an army.

You are correct that there are plenty of goodies for those needing actual soldier bodies etc. in the near future.

It does seem that I can get GW stuff from several US sellers for cheaper than from the UK so I'm looking at spending in that direction as required now ;) The release schedule IF (big if) correct will allow me to buy things as they come out instead of either debting up or waiting, I like getting books as they come out to satisfy the inner nerd.

Good times ahead

s

EDIT: Isiah; any reason why it keeps getting called a 5th Ed codex? Hell the BGB is all ours ;)

Edit: Tamwulf, if you are that upset at GW and yet are still going to stick around buy their stuff and play the game(s) they put out, doesn't that indicate that they are doing exactly what they need to to keep people around?

I travel... a lot. While I love playing Warmachine/Hordes, MERCS, Infinity, Malifaux, Battletech, and Heavy Gear, and a whole host of other games I can remember off the top of my head, not every place I travel to plays these games. So in a way, GW has done one thing right: They have super-saturated the market to the point where everyone has heard of, or plays Warhammer 40K. To get my gaming fix in, sometimes it's the only game available.

The fluff (until recently... not a fan of Mat Ward's stuff) has been pretty good, and the models have been great. I'm not a fan of Finecrap... I mean Failcast... I mean that new stuff that GW has made. I have found that 6th Edition is a fun game to play... if I don't care and my opponent doesn't care who wins.

For a large majority of players, GW has been their first, and only exposure to miniature gaming. A gateway game if you will. Some are not even aware of any other games, and it amazes me when I pull out a different game and they ask "what's this?" and I offer to show them how to play.

To me, it's market saturation- GW is everywhere, and player ignorance of other games prevents GW from being "over thrown".

FW are heavily rumoured to be doing the HH in a few books, that includes Legion specific shoulder pads and possibly helmets, I'm dreaming about making them 40k models due to the sheer awesomeness of it all.

I don't personally care for the starter set contents, although when robed DW ever eventuate WILL cause me to spend like a maniac.

EDIT: I thinks I just got your point, you live in the USA where FW is expensive. Here in the RoW FW is often cheaper or at least similar to GW similar products, GW hate us. :) I love FW for their service and products....Bring it on!!

Happy days

s

No rumor. FW is doing HH series of books and the first one is autumn of this year.

Just a reminder to take this stuff with a lot of salt. Faeit212 hasn't exactly been on the money much and has been firing out a whole lot of rumours. I figure a rusty shotgun might get a few hits but I'm not going to put much faith in him until he delivers solid predictions. Until then this may just be the whole Ghost thing all over again. Just saying, don't get your hopes up (or down) based on these rumours.

Well, what I was told certainly suggested that the DA Codex would be this year. That rumour also contained a list of other waves and books and so far has been pretty accurate, generally only being about a month out in some cases.

If it continues to be accurate, we will see the DA Codex before Christmas.

Fingers crossed anyway!

Archived