Psychic Powers and Tournaments

Ming

OK - the BRB is vague on this (rolls his eyes)...or likely I did not see anything...BUT

You go to a multigame tournament....

Does a librarian choose/roll for psychic powers before each game, or are they locked in with the first game choice?

Noodle on that for a bit....

I'm trying the Feast of Blades Qualfier this weekend, and their packet says nothing, although they may have another rules summary somewhere (my compuuter hates their website)...

So if you were/are a TO, where will you be on this?

It seems pretty clear to me - you pick your two psychic powers from the Codex when building the list. Before the armies are deployed you then make the decision as to whether you want to roll with those two or generate two new powers from the available BRB options. This happens before deployment for each game.

It seems pretty clear to me - you pick your two psychic powers from the Codex when building the list. Before the armies are deployed you then make the decision as to whether you want to roll with those two or generate two new powers from the available BRB options. This happens before deployment for each game.

Agreed

The way they do it in WHFB is you pick your Lore (or Discipline for 40k) as part of building your army list, then you randomly roll for spells (powers) before each game.

I'd do it similarly for 40k, as a TO. It'd be thus:

- As part of your army list, you must choose whether you're going to be using chosen Psychic Powers from your Codex or rolling randomly from one or more Psychic Disciplines from the main rulebook.

-- If you choose your Codex's powers, you must use the same powers throughout the event.

-- If you choose to use the Psychic Disciplines, you must select the Disciplines you will be rolling on and you must use the same ones throughout the event.

-- If you can take an odd number of spells and you chose more than Discipline, then you must choose how many rolls you're going to make on each table as part of your army list and it will be the same throughout the event.

For instance, if you choose Smite and Force Dome from Codex: Space Marines, you must use those two powers in every game. If you have a Level 3 Psyker and you choose Biomancy and Telekinesis as your Disciplines, you must use only those two in every game. You can choose to get two rolls from Biomancy and one in Telekinesis or vice versa, but the number must stay the same in every game.

The way they do it in WHFB is you pick your Lore (or Discipline for 40k) as part of building your army list, then you randomly roll for spells (powers) before each game.

I'd do it similarly for 40k, as a TO. It'd be thus:

- As part of your army list, you must choose whether you're going to be using chosen Psychic Powers from your Codex or rolling randomly from one or more Psychic Disciplines from the main rulebook.

-- If you choose your Codex's powers, you must use the same powers throughout the event.

-- If you choose to use the Psychic Disciplines, you must select the Disciplines you will be rolling on and you must use the same ones throughout the event.

-- If you can take an odd number of spells and you chose more than Discipline, then you must choose how many rolls you're going to make on each table as part of your army list and it will be the same throughout the event.

For instance, if you choose Smite and Force Dome from Codex: Space Marines, you must use those two powers in every game. If you have a Level 3 Psyker and you choose Biomancy and Telekinesis as your Disciplines, you must use only those two in every game. You can choose to get two rolls from Biomancy and one in Telekinesis or vice versa, but the number must stay the same in every game.

While that's a pretty good Tournament House Rule, it does break almost every RAW on determining a models available Psychic Powers. You know that, right? ;)

Agreed

Thats how its written and thats how my group plays it.

Agreed

Thats how its written and thats how my group plays it.

That's also how Ming's group plays it :devil:.

Archived