New Horus Heresy Audio Grey Angel

Hail Brothers,

On Friday a new HH audio went up on the Black Library site:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/grey-angel-mp3.html

According to the brothers over in the HH forum it is around 35 mins long and features those Dark Angels on Caiban plus an agent of Dorn/The Sigilite.

HH forum thread

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=258144

I personally haven't yet downloaded it, though I couldn't resist looking at a couple of the spoilers in the HH forum thread.

Should be interesting to see the fall of Luther et al getting fleshed out some more.

KOTFL

Just listened to it. Overall I liked it. Production values were excellent. Quick comment re Cypher. See spoilers below:

The portrayal here seems altogether different from earlier versions with Cypher similar to a pro-imperial sleeper agent.

Now, perhaps that was the point all along - iirc the Lion did chose him himself - but the impression I got from reading Fallen Angels was that Cypher appeared, if not complicit, at least approving of the path Luther had chosen toward rebellion.

So what gives?

Cypher like the Lion at the end of "The Lion" is willing to do anything to carry out his goals.

I imagine all knights of Caliban were committed to high idealistic goals, or states of mind even if those goals were never achievable. But they always held their knightly orders as 1st. Except for the Lion who is shown to never care about the past.

Cypher being from a dead knightly order has no loyalties left, save (perhaps) the only man he owes loyalty to--the Lion.

With Malediction, and now this(havent listened to it) maybe GW is trying to enforce this perception?

My thoughts from the Black Library Bolthole website:

Luther is portrayed neatly in the sense that he sounds great. In that sense, the character was done justice.

Loken and Qruze

are basically vehicles for you to get to see Luther. They serve their purpose well. Cypher is there to spice things up. He does this by default, so, again, mission accomplished.

But what do these characters share with us?

Nothing, really

. If you read "Fallen Angels", then you know that

the mission to ascertain Luther's loyalties is, sadly, late and pointless.

He has already declared against the Emperor and the Lion - the latter of which he considers a traitor the Caliban. I knew this, courtesy of Mike Lee's "Fallen Angels". Thus, the question arises: what is this story doing for me, the reader?

Where

Loken's mission

and the greater "Dark Angels in the Horus Heresy" storyline are concerned,

there is no plot movement.

I knew where Luther stood.

The Loyalists did not.

Best case scenario,

Loken

can tell

Rogal Dorn

that Xenos made him feel as if there was a shadow of darkness both in Caliban and in Luther. Cypher in turn shares something with

Qruze

... but we're not privy as to what. Again, no plot movement.

So, again, what was the point of the story? Ultimately, I don't think it was much more than to just "check in" with the Dark Angels... the idea being that any material is better than none at all. I don't pretend to speak for anyone other than myself, but to be completely honest that's a very frustrating approach.

It's been almost five years since "Descent of Angels" was released. It's been more than three years since "Fallen Angels" was released and we got that spicy conspiracy theory regarding the Lion's knowledge of Caliban's corruption and the potential role Cypher plays in it. Since then, we've gotten next to nothing.

"The Lion", beating that three year anniversay by a couple of months, confirmed that the Lion is in cahoots with the Watchers... and that he probably knows what Luther is up to. It did nothing to address the major issues that still provoke fan discussions... like why the Lion would send a person he didn't trust anymore to rule a planet he knew bore a daemonic taint. Or why Cypher, if he was the Lion's trump card, let Luther go (or potentially led Luther) down the path of sorcery as the Caliban issue went to a boiling point. "Grey Angel" doesn't do much of anything beyond re-affirm that Cypher was put in place for a reason.

Just my two drachmas' worth...

Wow!

Thank you for an excellent review of the audio drama.

What I don't get is how these guys are traveling so quickly. Caliban is not really close to Terra. :/

I look forward to listening to it soon.

Archived