modeling Chainswords "turned on"

space wolf

So I'm brainstorming ideas for my next army. Which will be True-Scale Night Lords. This will be using the Terminator leg method of DogHouse, Apologist, and others. With this army I plan on taking my modeling skills to the next level. I have a pretty good handle on GS so now we are going to make every model heavily converted with skulls, icons, and the like. That being said an idea came to me. Since I'm going the extra mile for detail, why not try to figure out a way to model the chainswords as if the blades were in motion? But how?

The idea I've come up with is this: you basically take three strips of very thin clear plasticard. Paint the chain blades, then attach the plasticard around the blades. Once done, then paint over the plastic "in between" the teeth, more teeth. (Does that make sense?) Do you think it will work? Another idea I had, was just replacing the teeth all together with a solid piece of plasticard, or GS, and just trying to paint the effect on there. What do you guys think? Any easier solutions, that you can think of? Its going to be a few weeks before I can put any of this into practice, as I'm overseas, and have to wait quite a bit of time for my parts to come in. (I HATE not having access to my normal bitz box...but what are you going to do, the military calls....)

Edit: I plan on turning this into a progress log, so this post should be in the right place. I'll keep you updated on what progress I've made.

If you think of our models as a snap shot moment its a bit tricky to actually see the teeth in motion it usually just ends up as one big blurred line in which its virtually impossible to pick out the individual teeth due to the speed its moving at but you can usually see a large amount of gunk being launched out the other end, if you have a look at the pics below you can see what I mean.

http://adland.tv/n1rv4n4g8/2008/junejpgs/chainsaw.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ed4uiGP1CA8/0.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/images/LCI/Planning/HowTos/Chain-Saw-Safety_hero.jpg

With that in mind I'd personally suggest having just one solid piece of plasticard/greenstuff all around the guard area, painted to mimic the blurring action, with thin wires and greenstuff (or whatever you find works best) coming from the hilt end to suggest viscera flying clear.

The easiest way to show it I believe would be to actually have the marine cutting through someone, that way you could have gore exploding in a fountain from the body as if mid cut, as they're going to be Night Lords this could be as simple as him cutting the head off a torso for a trophy as part of the base.

Forget the teeth altogether and use a strip of clear plastic. You can't see the teeth when they are moving. It's like the rotors on helicopters, you get a slight shadow to show where the blades are. Because they're so hard to see when moving they have stripes on them so you can see where the edges of the blades are.

Archived