Fyth's WIP's Thread

Fytharin

always cracking the whip, forte!!

I think the scarred eye looks fantastic and would love for you to regale us on how to do that!!

No progress on my WiP yet Fyth, I just got my last box of TWC and I am really focusing on getting my wolves done. It's been far too long and with my luck the new dex will come out and nerf my entire army... :(

End of Line

Unfortunately I have a lot of scars to gain inspiration off of so just looking at those is how I figured it out. I wanted this to be an old scar so I mixed a little bit of white with the skin tone I was using and then applied a tiny bit of brown wash on either side to make it look more puckered. I'll definitely be doing this on one of my thunderwolf guys that i have boasting a bare arm and wooden shield so I might try a more pink looking scar as though it were fresh. After all I'm sure those thunderwolves can have their bad mornings from time to time. ;)

So it's not a WIP post BUT I ended up doing a 40k draft event at my local game store and one had a lot of fun but also made out like a bandit. Ended up getting a tau Riptide, crisis battlesuit and three fire warrior minis worth almost 3x what my entry fee was. I posted a review on the event here if you would like to check it out. :)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/288146-40k-draft-tournament/

Alright so update post. It's been about 2 1/2 months since I came back to the Fang and started to rebuild my army and I swear to you it feels like four to five months have gone by. The gods have blessed me the means to rebuild my army quickly and my Sons of Russ have never been stronger. As it stands here is what I have painted between working 60 hours a week and commissions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/ff8b5889-99b4-4000-a206-7fc92cad0f7b_zpsebfda9f2.jpg

These next few weeks unfortunately are going to be spent working on a nid army and moving into my new lair so probably won't be posting any new pics for a while. However, I do have these pictures of a TWC that a 9 year old I babysit painted. It's hard to see the eye picture because he wanted to take the pic himself but this kid nailed it like a pro. I will be posting pics of his guy as he gets to work on him but so far he is rocking the hobby and should be an awesome nerd in the making. :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/IMG_4226_zps9383bbec.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/IMG_4233_zps233fefe4.jpg

Nice updates Fytharin, really like the eyes as they are something I always struggle with. Nice to see a kid interested in the hobby keep him on the wolves if you can, my own nine year old is mad about nids, but what can you do?. Just a tip about the bases, what I find works pretty well is to glue down your legs before basecoating, then spread on PVA glue with the side of a paper clip, dip in GW sand and chaos black spray the lot. All you need do then is drybrush on grey,white or even leave black and give a quick coat or two of some colour around the rim and your done. If the kid wants to help let him slob on the PVA or do the dipping, helps when they get bored with concentrating on painting. Hope this helps.

I can understand the nid frustration....been sorting through $1500 MRP worth of nids for commission work lately and I'm already getting tired of them...and it's day one. LOL He seems really interested and I think he likes the wolves more than the space marines so that shouldn't be too hard. He kept pretending to not be interested but kept coming back to the table I was painting at and finally asked to paint after like five visits and three offers to let him.

And it's not that I don't know how to base (again commission work) I just feel like I pour so much energy into the paint job itself that when I'm done I'm DONE and want to keep painting and move on. I won't feel so urgent about it I think once I have probably two grey hunter squads painted up because then I'll feel like the bulk of my army is painted....which is a blatant lie but it's what I keep telling myself to feel better about all the work I have to do. :wallbash:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so in preparation for the ETL III I'm compiling a list of what I can paint. I pretty much have my entire army to paint but since I have a bunch of tasty HQ's lets go for the big points shall we? >:3

My high point list stands as thus:

Logan Grimnar, Arjac, Canis, Njal Termie, Lukas, Ragnar, Bjorn, Wolf Lord on TW, Generic RP, Game day 2003 RP, Iron Priest, and 6 TWC, two long fang packs.

The ones I am definitely wanting to paint are Njal, Wolf Lord on TW and the Game day mini. After that it would probably be the generic RP and 3 of my TWC. I don't have my codex in front of me so I can't compare accurate points right now but I think Bjorn is out for this one just because of his size and how much chipping detail I want in him etc; I feel I could paint two other minis in his stead. Canis is an obvious add in just for for his point size but I'm not sure if I can muster up the enthusiasm to get him done quite frankly.

Wasn't apart of this last year, did we have to make pledges immediately up front and we couldn't modify them? Or could we finish our first vow and then add on a second vow to increase our point contribution?

EDIT: Neverming on the additional vow question. Found my answer on ETL II assuming it stays the same as last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I

Fytharin answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete the

below units from codex space wolves (and valid Space Wolves Units) on or

before August 1st. Success will bring eternal glory to the Vylka

Fenryka and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the

year-end.

Njal Stormcaller Terminator Armor 270pts

Games Day Rune Priest, Wolftooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman 115pts

Rune Priest Wolftooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Runic Armor 200pts

Wolf Lord on TWC combi flarmer, Wolf claw, runic armor 195pts

Total 780pts

Here are my pictures before I get started.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/IMG_4246_zps65561c76.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/IMG_4247_zps09f1418c.jpg

Sneaky. Vowing 4 HQ. Bet you're all up to that too. Time to break out as many Abaddon minis as I can find (and no, I'm not. Painted him once and that was enough).

Good luck :tu:

Sneaky. Vowing 4 HQ. Bet you're all up to that too. Time to break out as many Abaddon minis as I can find (and no, I'm not. Painted him once and that was enough).

Good luck :thumbsup:

Nowt sneaky about it, the codex is clear as day. Up to two HQs per slot :)

GJ Fyth, looking foward to seeing the end results

Brb let me go get my 60 termies that I swear I'll field in every game. There's more HQ's where those came from. I'm starting small on my first wave to see how quickly I can put them out. ;)

Liking the combi-pistol, may have to borrow that.

Be my guest! It wasn't very hard to do to be honest, just had to line everything up.

EDIT: Also I've noticed a few people around here say they struggle with painting fur so I decided to do a tutorial on it while I paint Njal and the games day priest. Keep your eyes peeled for that here soon. ;)

Brb let me go get my 60 termies that I swear I'll field in every game. There's more HQ's where those came from. I'm starting small on my first wave to see how quickly I can put them out. :wink:

I like your style!! ;)

My kind of army!!

Best of luck Fyth!!

End of Line

Brb let me go get my 60 termies that I swear I'll field in every game. There's more HQ's where those came from. I'm starting small on my first wave to see how quickly I can put them out. :wink:

Just don't forget to pledge all of those to your Titanis Belli count!

Alright, so here's some proof that I have been working on my vow but so far this model has been nothing but frustrating...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/IMG_4260_zps32dbdb26.jpg

My brown ink clouded on me after I had just doused the majority of the model so then had to repaint over all of that, the eyes didn't fully form and are instead a mottled mess that makes any attempt at normal looking eyes impossible and if it wasn't for the fact I love the model so much and it's in my vow I probably would have chucked it at a wall by now....none the less the grind continues...

Wow, really liking the Wolf Priest! And your combi weapon is great.... you've just saved me a bundle on going to bits sites to buy them plus so characterful.

Batch painting can be a chore, I like to listen to music when painting, plus my son loves to do weird dances at some of my song choices.

Try listening to this whle you paint, it always gee's me up, and I defy your to not to start tapping 

I hope my son gets into 40K when he is of age too!!

Baulder: Thanks brother, it will all work out in the end I'm sure. >.<

Dantay: Thank you! It was pretty simple to do to be honest, maybe I'll get around to making a tutorial someday... recently I bought a lot of audio dramas for Space Wolves so I've been listening to those as I paint. Silence can also be golden though, I spend a lot of time being screamed at by phones all day so listening to nothing is just as theraputic as music/tales from the fang. ;)

Ah cool, I have a few of them, I am going through the HH audiobooks myself just now.

I work in a room full of elkectrical panels, so some variation in noise beyond the humming of fans is a good thing for me :)

I hate being screamed at by phones.

• 1 month later...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/zoogarama/49572911-7630-467e-bd70-dea8ba9db9b7_zpsbe4d2a0a.jpg

Been getting super distracted by the high elves you see behind him but here's proof I have been working on things =/

Archived