Vanguard in 6th

The axe or fist on the sergeant is always a nice addition against Space Furries. Since I face Russ' fuzzy lineage pretty often in both my playgroups it's become a staple. Nice to still be able to crack open those wolfguard terminator sergeants in with the longfangs, especially with challenges now.

Thanks for that CitadelArmyGuy. I'm using them on Sat & Sun so I'll post up my experience(s) too. Don't you fancy giving them a few Meltabombs & maybe a Lightning Claw? Also, how did the Power Axe do? I'd take one but I'm scared of getting challenged & killed before Initiative step 1. Thoughts?

- Dallas

The Axe has been performing really well, but only versus the types of targets they've been matched up against.

The closest fight was against the Long Fangs, but I did not issue a challenge and the opposing Pack Leader didn't issue one either so I breathed a sigh of relief there.

Pack Leader does happen to be the "scariest" thing that the VV Sgt might have to fight in challenge on a normal basis.

PackLeader with Counter-Attack, so 4 attacks = 0.33 failed 3+ saves. I might be thinking in a logical fallacy here, but does that translate to the Pack Leader killing the VV Sgt 33% of the time in a challenge?

Devastator Sgts with only 3 attacks inflicts 0.25 failed saves.

SO I suppose Lightning Claw certainly does provide a buffer of initiative-insurance when fighting other MEQ. Honestly I might look into LCs over the Axe after crunching the numbers-- the Axe delivers 1.33 MEQ kills on the charge, LC delivers 1.25 MEQ kills on the charge.... so they are roughly close enough in performance, yet the claw goes at initiative. Seems better- I'll have to give it a go.

And yes, I'll be trying out 4 meltabombs in there too-- just wanted to see how they performed at base-cost.

Yeah, that's why I asked about the axe, there is a chance that you'll get challenged by something like a Pack Leader who is quite tasty. 3+ can be failed & then it's bye bye to your Sergeant. Not the end of the world but it probably wouldn't end well for the other 4 VV.

I'm going to try;

6 x VV

- Jump Packs

4 x Meltabombs

Sergeant with 2 x Lightning Claws

It's a little on the pricier end off things, but I figure that most of my targets will be <3+ save, the Sergeant will be doing most of the killing with 4 attacks that re-roll to wound - so he'll be dispatching plenty of MEQs & in challenges he'll do great too so I don't have to worry about that! I would have cut the points down but 1) I had 40 odd points hanging around with nothing better to use them on & 2) My Twin-Lightning Claw Sergeant looks damn cool, heh.

If it's too points intensive I can easily cut it down to;

5 x VV

- Jump Packs

4 x Meltabombs

Sergeant with Power Weapon/single Lightning Claw (think I might prefer the Power Weapon for 4 attacks).

- Dallas

So I tried them tonight, went with;

5 x VV

- Jump Packs

4 x Meltabombs

Sergeant with 2 x Lightning Claws

Only got one game in against IG. I dropped in safe off a Locator Beacon, multi charged a Leman Russ with 3 of the meltabomb VVs & a Lascannon heavy weapons squad with the Sergeant & one VV - lost that one VV to overwatch Lascannons. VV Sergeant killed one of the Lascannon teams, then died to a lowly Guardsman!! The other 3 VV blew the Battle Cannon off the Russ with their meltabombs. Not locked in combat was bad, as the 3 VV were then left standing there in no mans land. Next turn they got shot off the table. I'm not sure 200 points was worth taking out a Battle Cannon & a Lascannon.

Think I will try them again though!

Played 5 of them with Meltabombs vs IG yesterday as well. It went pretty well, I went for a triplecharge versus 2 russes and a machine seer with servitors. In retrospect I should have put 2 meltabombs on each tank and charged the seer just with my sarge, but I was too afraid of powerfists. I easily exploded one of the russes and wiped almost all the servitors, but I failed to hit the second russ with my meltabomb (and as usual got shot off the table next turn).

Still, I believe they were worth it, especially if I had charged both russes and maybe got locked in combat that way.

Ran Vanguards w/4 meltabombs yesterday. Dropped behind a 'Vee' formation of a Land Raider and 2 Razorbacks (4" from all targets). I scatter 4" at an oblique angle to the Land Raider, safely 1" and a fraction away. I decide to charge only the Raider, and roll to paste all 4 MBs onto it.

Roll to-hit: 1,2,2 and 4. -_-

Roll to pen on the lone hit: 1,3 (total of 12). :P

Shot to death following turn. There's.......... really nothing to say. :D

I love VV's. I usually give 'em all melta weapons and Srgt gets StormShield and if I can spare points fist (Reason why I love magneted VV's made out of Death Company). I can use Descent of Angel rule then declare Heroic Intervention and kill any vehicle that needs to die. Landraiders are one thing but I use my VV's as WhirlWind / Vindicator assassin against marines or killing any long range units: Leman Russ Battletanks, Basilisks, Fire Prisms...

Archived