Storm shield tactic

Brother iKon

My idea is equip the sgt of a deathwing squad with thunder hammwr and storm shield and put him at the front that way if you want the 3+ save all good otherwise you could look out sir. This is the only way i can see how to choose when to use the storm shield .

Thoughts? Valid tactic? Good idea?

The problem that you are running into is if you fail taht roll then LoS is only on a 4+. So you will eventually lose that one guy and the whole squad will get shafted when they revert to 5+ inv.

My idea is equip the sgt of a deathwing squad with thunder hammwr and storm shield and put him at the front that way if you want the 3+ save all good otherwise you could look out sir. This is the only way i can see how to choose when to use the storm shield .

Thoughts? Valid tactic? Good idea?

If I understand properly what you mean, your idea is to have only the sarge with a TH/SS and the rest with...what?

Opinions in vacuum are not usually that useful...and they are hard enough in a per-squad basis only :lol:

Works better if another member of the squad has the TH/SS or an independent character is in the lead.

Sticking your characters forward in a wedge formation can allow the 5th edition wound allocation style...

I'd be tempted to put the Storm Shields to the front and the Lightning Claws or Storm Bolters to the rear. But if possible I'd keep the Sgt with his Storm Shield safe until the unit hits close combat and he has the option to suck of a character with a challenge whilst the terminators smash the enemy unit.

Maybe two storm shields to the front, Sgt with shield to the most threatened flank, claw with CML in the middle and the other claw to the less threatened flank. Something like:

S S

Sgt CML LCs

But then I've tended to run a 3 shield, 2 claw mixed unit since the FAQ B) I'd also take with a big dose of salt as I'm fixated on trying to play a battle company only at the moment (so no Death/Ravenwing)

Personally, I just run all TH/SS. It gives me a better save all around than a cover save could, and protects me from any units attempting to flank me (assault marines, bikes, MM attack bikes). This allows me to walk my DW up the battlefield, knowing they have the best armor the imperium can manufacture.

My mixed units have:

Serge with sword + bolter

Chain fist

Cyclone with TH/SS

TH/SS

I stick the sarge out the front, TH/SS second and cyclone and fist at the back.

Remember your opponent picks the order to resolve different wound in.

Basically I look out sir everything off the sarge. Chuck the 2+ on the generic guy and the 3+ onto the TH/SS guy. Cyclone has a shield for a second in the squad and also to prevent him getting picked out by characters who hit with a 6.

Seems to be working well for me. I guess if you had a LC guy he'd take the place of generic guy, but the only LC I have are on Belial who LOS scary wounds on a 2+ an has better initiative.

Archived