Equipping a Ravenwing unit

Brother Nemiel

Greetings Brethren!

I am in need of advice from you regardig how to arm a full Ravenwing unit (6 bikers, 1 attack bike, 1 land speeder). My situation is as follows:

I run Greenwing, which I will expand on with supporting units of Deathwing and Ravenwing. No Belial or Samael in my army, just plain nameless ICs. I'm not asking for a specific army list. I'm looking for a setup that fits the rest of my army in the best way.

I have several full tactical squads of 10. Heavy weapons in my Tactical squads are a mix: plasma guns and different heavy weapons (Hvy bolter, Lascannon, plasmacannon).

For heavy support I have a whirlwind and two predators (that can be mix and matched to full Las or dakka pred).

For Elite: Two Venerable dreads with plasmacannons or lascannons. Two units of Deathwing, one with only CCW and one shootier. a scout squad with sniper rifles and a ML

My local gaming opponents are Tau, Tyranids, Necrons, Orks and Blood angels. My main concern is long range Anti AV14 (mainly against Blood angels with landraiders and monoliths of the necrons). I can always add melta bombs to all sergeants and/or IC. That does not feel like a good solution.

How do you view giving two of the bikers melta guns, Combi-melta for the sarge, and multi-melta for the attack bike? Or does that make it too much of a "one-trick-pony"?

Thanx in advance for feedback!

I fit my ravenwing out for tank hunting, 2 meltas, multi melta, melta bomb. Its basically a cruise missile, point and fire at a tank, your odds are good at doing damage to it and they arent too expensive.

Rapid fire plasma guns and better toughness to survive gets hot. Yes please.

Melta bombs with the new rules are decent anti tank too. A power sword just to be on the safe side (and if you have the points to spare). Melta guns are too short ranged. If you want use a MM on an assault bike.

Sadly you can't give combi melta to the sarge with current codex.

Hmm... missed that part. Thank you for pointing it out :D

Melta bombs with the new rules are decent anti tank too. A power sword just to be on the safe side (and if you have the points to spare). Melta guns are too short ranged. If you want use a MM on an assault bike.

I certainly can see the allure of the plasma guns (they're fluffy too), but shouldn't I be worried about the lack of anti-AV14 in my army? Or do you think the melta bomb is enough? Or do you think that anti-AV14 is best supplied by other units in the army rather than a ravenwing unit?

Just realised something:

Toughness doesn't matter right? As soon as it gets hot you automatically reveice a wound regardless of toughness. Unless I misread the USR...

Just realised something:

Toughness doesn't matter right? As soon as it gets hot you automatically reveice a wound regardless of toughness. Unless I misread the USR...

You are right i was mistaken in this. However you can still rapid firethem and get the armor save :D :P

No depending on the melta bombs for AV14 is not so good. Thats why i said its better to have an attackbike tang along.

I only recently realised that you could take an AB not with a multi-melta. Still not sure why anyone would want to, though.

If anti-AV14 is what you're after then the full melta loadout sounds about right, although I'd be tempted to leave the speeder out to enable you to outflank with the bikes.

*gasp*

Sorry, I can't quite believe that I wrote a sentence including the phrase "leave the speeder out". Must be feeling ill. Be that as it may, the change to the Scout rule looks as though it might increase the need for outflanking to get your bikes to where they can do the most damage quickest - especially since you've now got a 2/3 chance of your reserves popping up on Turn 2.

Just realised something:

You are right i was mistaken in this. However you can still rapid firethem and get the armor save :teehee: :P

No depending on the melta bombs for AV14 is not so good. Thats why i said its better to have an attackbike tang along.

Not to mention that T5 wounds on the same 2+ as T4, when the strength involved is 7...

+1 for 3x melta weapons plus a power sword.

Archived