E Tenebrae Lux Diary

This will be my E Tenebrae Lux diary, and as I said in the description I will be painting Ultramarines so if you're easily offended go ahead and stop reading now.

I had intended to start much sooner but life got in the way and now I find myself with exactly 7 days since the contest will be ending just about when I get out of work on the 15th, so this will be a photo finish. Fortunately my vow is rather small, only a Whirlwind, a Predator, and ten tactical marines, and I paint with an airbrush.

So without further adieu, day 1's work:

http://i.imgur.com/mH5vf.jpg

The doors are all glued shut but the turret rotates and the arm that holds the rocket launcher is fully articulated. I left off the vision slits so I could paint the windscreens under them. The drivers' hatches should be glued on but I forgot them until I'd already cleaned up for the evening; that will get done first tomorrow. Tentative plan is to put the rockets on with some kind of pin or magnet, if they're not tight enough just to slot in, so I can switch off between games. If that doesn't work I'll just go with the smaller ones because the larger set of four doesn't really make sense being unlimited ammo and only a 5" template.

In the background you can see the last tactical squad I painted which is more or less how I will be painting my vow as well, sort of a mediocre tabletop quality with freehand insignia.

I'd hoped to be further along but I suppose it's not bad for just under two hours work.

A bit of a late start, but I wish you the best of luck!

I'm currently reading Know No Fear and, despite being a warlock and a corpse-whisperer at heart, have gained a new respect for the XIII.

Your leaving certainly leaving it until the 11th hour there. But, as long as you can get it finished, it's all good. I'm interested to see how the magnetising/pinning turns out. I don't have my Codex at hand, but i thought that the different missile types on a Whirlwind were a 4th ed relic. If i'm right, why the magnetising/pinning of the missiles?

Luckily, i'm not easily offended by Ultras and am actually quite happy to see more of us with the beautiful red rims of the 3rd. Good luck ;).

Day 7 down. Due to family commitments, no real progress, except that I got the hatches set in place without glue. Still I'm keeping a positive attitude about this, I have the whole weekend with no plans.

Your leaving certainly leaving it until the 11th hour there. But, as long as you can get it finished, it's all good. I'm interested to see how the magnetising/pinning turns out. I don't have my Codex at hand, but i thought that the different missile types on a Whirlwind were a 4th ed relic. If i'm right, why the magnetising/pinning of the missiles?

Luckily, i'm not easily offended by Ultras and am actually quite happy to see more of us with the beautiful red rims of the 3rd. Good luck :P.

Xenosbane! My brotha!

The 5th ed. codex lists the S5Ap4 Vengeance missiles and Incendiary Castellan missiles that are S4Ap5 and ignore cover instead of the old Castellans that scattered mines. The way I understand it the Vengeance missiles are the small ones and the Castellans are the big ones whether they're incendiary or not. Then again, I'll probably never use the Incendiary Castellans since they suck on ice, so I guess there's no harm in taking the easy way out and gluing.

Thought for the day: Work earns salvation.

Predator and Whirlwind are ready to go:

http://i.imgur.com/KfeCc.jpg

And here's all ten tacticals ready for Operation: Basecoat as well, with backpacks, weapons, helmets, and pauldrons to be painted separately while still on the sprue. Sergeant Epathus on the bottom right of the line has a standard chainsword right arm; the left arm is a sergeant bolt pistol arm but I've cut off the pistol and replaced it with a bolter. Simple but effective conversion.

Behind them are the tanks with all hatches, sponsons, and turrets removed for separate painting. To the left is the start of Captain Ardias with power maul and plasma pistol, who I will possibly be painting simultaneously and adding to my vow as long as I can add before the original vow is complete. Otherwise he'll just get a quick basecoat and I'll bang out the detail in a few weeks after moving back to school.

http://i.imgur.com/wiLS0.jpg

Only 3 work days left and I'm feeling the pressure but I still feel I should be able to pull it off. The Emperor helps him who helps himself and I'm certainly busting ass to help myself.

Thought for the day: Hard work conquers everything.

Airbrush worked just fine for the infantry and most of the tanks. Around the third time I mixed paint for the cup I started having some issues with the paint/water/air ratio which got worse with the fourth cup, which I then dropped all over my shorts. At that point most of it was done and I decided I would just clean up the airbrush and finish the rest and touch up any weirdness with the brush.

http://i.imgur.com/yZUKJ.jpg

Touchups and details coming up starting later tonight, or maybe tomorrow.

Archived