What counts as death company?

XeroAikon

I know. It sounds like a stupid question. Sorry. I am not a blood angels player, but i am having a rules issue with my friend who is.

he wants to claim that Lemartes and Death Company Tycho count toward the "for every 5 death company models in your army"

I'm willing to give him Lemartes as he's an upgrade to a squad of death company, but I honestly don't know know about Tycho. I can see both sides of that one.

thoughts?

Unless taking Astorath

You can include only one unit of Death Company in your army

You can include one Death Company Dreadnought for every five death company models in your army.

You need 5 Death Company models for one dread, 10 models of Death Company for 2 dreads

Lemartes is Death Company he is an upgrage withingn the squad, Tycho has a special ruleset for his Death Company profile he is Death company under that ruleset even though he is an IC his IC ruleset is for a Death Company model.

Tycho can not leave that unit either as you are only allowed one unit of DC unless taking Astorath

Lemartes is Death Company he is an upgrage withingn the squad, Tycho has a special ruleset for his Death Company profile he is Death company under that ruleset even though he is an IC his IC ruleset is for a Death Company model.

From what I know, Lemartes is an extra model that has it's own profile and therefore, by pure RAW, would not count towards the Dread Limit. Makes no sense, but that's how I read it.

DC Tycho is, as many others said, not an Independent Character but a one-man unit. He can't join squads, not even the DC. Tycho is not a DC model, he is a HQ choice that happens to be, fluff-wise, part of the DC. There is nothing in the rules that may suggest that he(or Lemartes) counts towards it.

Snorri

And Say that he would count towards The limit, then you must also include him in The 0-1 DC limit! And Since he is à squad of 1, you may not take à DC unless you are fielding Asorath!

This. Either Tycho always counts as Death Company in terms of limits and minimums or he never does. If your opponent is taking Astorath in every game he fields Tycho and DC then there's still an issue, but otherwise just agree to count him seperately, as that seems the most logical move.

And Say that he would count towards The limit, then you must also include him in The 0-1 DC limit! And Since he is à squad of 1, you may not take à DC unless you are fielding Asorath!

This. Either Tycho always counts as Death Company in terms of limits and minimums or he never does. If your opponent is taking Astorath in every game he fields Tycho and DC then there's still an issue, but otherwise just agree to count him seperately, as that seems the most logical move.

My point exactly!

Lemartes is an upgrade character with the entry on page 88 C:BA saying: "The Death Company can include Lemartes". So by that wording he can be included in the model count towards a DC Dread.

DC Tycho cannot join any unit as he is a non-independant character. Therefore he can't technically join the Death Company and should not be conisdered as being included in the model count towards a DC Dread nor should he be considered as being the 0-1 Death Company limit as that rule is specifically in the Death Company entry, page 88 C:BA: "You can include only one unit of Death Company in your army".

DC Tycho is a unit consisting of one model that takes up a HQ slot. The DC are troops.

Because 24 DC only allow 4 DC dreads, not 5.

DC Tycho has nothing to do with the Death Company, apart from his background.

And this

is probably the best and funniest rule-interpretation I've read so far! :lol: Good one!

Snorri

Wait a minute...

Firstly, I said 25 DC not 24.

Secondly, Snorri is right, DC Tycho has nothing to do with the Death Company, apart from his background.

Thirdly, Astorath's entry (pg 82) says that he removes the 0-1 DC (see pg 88).

Wait a minute...

Firstly, I said 25 DC not 24.

Secondly, Snorri is right, DC Tycho has nothing to do with the Death Company, apart from his background.

Thirdly, Astorath's entry (pg 82) says that he removes the 0-1 DC (see pg 88).

I agree, plus this is a pretty cool idea. Though Tycho is going to go down pretty quick since can't join a squad. But, that does give me some ideas for a non-Astorath DC army. I don't think I would go with more DC than you can fit in an LRC or Stormraven though. So probably only 2 or 3 Dreads depending on which option you take. If you go the Stormraven route, then you can run 2 of them, Tycho and Dread in one SR, and 12 DC and a Dread in second SR. With my mock up that gives 1220 in points, with room to still add in something else. Probably not going to really win that many games, but would be entertaining to see.

which is what they are trying to say. if you want to count tycho as a death co member for the purposes of taking a dread then he also ounts for the purposes of the 0-1 unit selection...

Except that the only DC unit that has a 0-1 restriction is the one in pg 88.

Also using the same logic, DC dreads would only be legal in a list that also fields Astorath, right? After all they are DC units :D

Look at the unit type for the answer to this question.

Death Company are unit type Death Company.

Lemartes is unit type Lemartes.

DC Tycho is unit type DC Tycho.

Only Death Company contribute to the DC dread so Lemartes and DC Tycho do not count towards this limit according to the rules (fluff does not count in this instance).

exactly! i dont see death co tcho as another death co member as hes tycho which is a comp;leately different unit, same with dreadnaughts. lemartes might be a bit of a grey area, but as hes not an upgraded model but an additional one id say he dosent count either as a death co model. tbh to advoid any problems in these cases just have 5 death co on top of the rest (though why youd take death co tycho i do not know....)

There is no grey area with regard to Lemartes status, he is a Death Company model and expressly described as able to be included as Death Company. You are permitted 3 to 27 Death Company in one unit of which one of them can be Lemartes.

No. You can have 30 DC plus Lemartes. He's not an upgrade. He's an extra character that is bought after you select your 3-30 DC Marines.

For example, you got your basic 3 DC Marines at 60 points - buy Lemartes and you have 4 models in the squad. He doesn't replace anyone, he's extra.

Snorri

Archived