Tactical squads

I don't see many tatical squds in BA lists. Back in 5th ed the Tactical squad wasn't really a good choice as we could just DoA and flood the enemy DZ.

The 6th ed reserve rules and the focus on objectives in 6th ed has made me take another look at the tacticals.

These guys are cheap (for Astartes) My squads run at 180pts (heavy bolter, meltgun, no sergeant upgrades) and are very good at sitting on an objective. The are auseful choie to fill our our 50% quotas for the reserve rule and they playout surpisingly liek the fluff says they do in practice.

I advance my tacticals to hold objectives in my DZ or close to it and wait for my assault/VV units to come in, land behind the enemy and do a hammer and anvil trick.

Anybody else found a new love fo tacticals?

I've used two tactical squads in every battle as my troops since 3rd Ed. ML and Flamer for their loadouts. 140 points for a 10 man squad with a decent AV and plenty of anti-cluster goodness has always been a nice balance. Having lots of bodies on an objective is also good to hold it. The tactical squad approach in my list has always been to just use them as a fire base to either be ignored, where their damage can add up, especially with being able to move and shoot bolter's full range now, or to soak up fire while on critical points to allow my stronger knife-edge units to get in close and do their terrible, terrible damage.

I'd have to agree with you OP, tactical squads are an unsung hero in our codex. Their just as effective as other astartes squads and balance decent range with good survivability(especially with some of the tricks we have in our codex). I prefer to use them more for assaulting objectives to sit on them then to just camp them on one. For camping I prefer scout snipers with camo cloaks. Phenomenal unit all around in my opinion, especially with new sniper rules:)

140 points for a 10 man squad with a decent AV and plenty of anti-cluster goodness has always been a nice balance.

Can I have your codex? :D

2 full tactical squads with a priest have been the rock in my recent BA army. They hand back and pelt stuff at 24" for the first couple of turns, then advance toward objectives, generally unmolested in the late game.

140 points for a 10 man squad with a decent AV and plenty of anti-cluster goodness has always been a nice balance.

Can I have your codex? :D

2 full tactical squads with a priest have been the rock in my recent BA army. They hand back and pelt stuff at 24" for the first couple of turns, then advance toward objectives, generally unmolested in the late game.

Now that was a typo, it was supposed to be 150. But I'm pretty sure that's wrong too. I don't remember the exact number, it's been months since my last game. It's something like 320-340 I think for two squads like that? I want to say they're 170 each... Take my points with a grain of salt. XD

I'm using both tacticals and scout snipers more often.

I like Tacticals walking with Tycho laying cover fire and joining combats where they must. Works wll.

That's funny because I just wrote a list with 20 tacticals, 10 sniper scouts and DC Tycho. :eek

It will be supported by a 10 man DC unit with a thunderhammer in a stormraven. Still debating whether to take a reclusiarch in terminator armour or just a chaplain.

DC Tycho will play Rambo.

I like Tacticals walking with Tycho laying cover fire and joining combats where they must. Works wll.

That's funny because I just wrote a list with 20 tacticals, 10 sniper scouts and DC Tycho. :lol:

It will be supported by a 10 man DC unit with a thunderhammer in a stormraven. Still debating whether to take a reclusiarch in terminator armour or just a chaplain.

I'm using Captain Tycho, but the idea is the same. Tacticals, scouts, devs, maybe Sternguard/tactical terminators and Tycho and Corbulo.

I've used two tactical squads in every battle as my troops since 3rd Ed. ML and Flamer for their loadouts. 140 points for a 10 man squad with a decent AV and plenty of anti-cluster goodness has always been a nice balance. Having lots of bodies on an objective is also good to hold it. The tactical squad approach in my list has always been to just use them as a fire base to either be ignored, where their damage can add up, especially with being able to move and shoot bolter's full range now, or to soak up fire while on critical points to allow my stronger knife-edge units to get in close and do their terrible, terrible damage.

I used to run 4 TAC SQDS in 3rd ala Rhino Rush; cut it down to 2 in 4th and have never left home without 2 since. They are my rock to everyone's scissors.

I'd have to agree with you OP, tactical squads are an unsung hero in our codex. Their just as effective as other astartes squads and balance decent range with good survivability(especially with some of the tricks we have in our codex). I prefer to use them more for assaulting objectives to sit on them then to just camp them on one. For camping I prefer scout snipers with camo cloaks. Phenomenal unit all around in my opinion, especially with new sniper rules:)

Agreed.

Can I have your codex? ;) Me too!?! Add 30pts for base squad of 10. ;)

Can I have your codex? ;)

Now that was a typo, it was supposed to be 150. But I'm pretty sure that's wrong too. I don't remember the exact number, it's been months since my last game. It's something like 320-340 I think for two squads like that? I want to say they're 170 each... Take my points with a grain of salt. XD

You'd be correct here, if that's your final answer. :lol:

I use 2 squads in Rhinos. Great units though a touch too expensive (mine both cost 225 points).

I used to run RAS in Rhinos but GW killed that in 6th so I replaced all those chainswords/axes with bolters, thank the heavens for magnets.

- Dallas

Have never switched from TAC SQDS to ASS SQDS. I leave the assaulting to my DC and DC Dreads.

That's funny because I just wrote a list with 20 tacticals, 10 sniper scouts and DC Tycho. :lol:

Me too. DC Tycho should be even beastier - and more survivable - with the change to Rage and FNP. I tried him in my first game of 5th Ed vs. a Dark Eldar Archon and he got waxed by the retinue before a single return blow!?! We just laugh at power weapons now. :devil:

Archived