"The sound of Thunder"

EdT

"We are the voice and the clarion call; We are tyrant's ruin and rival's fall."

—Battle Mantra of the Dusk Raiders

I've got a bit bored of making Astartes, so for a change of pace I thought it might be quite fun to model and paint up a unit of their forebears, the Thunder Warriors. I've always thought it was a bit of a shame that we haven't seen any updated sculpts to go with the pre-heresy stuff produced by forgeworld, but it's always fun to improvise!

I've now modelled a squad (or Quincunx, as I've decided to term them) of proto-astartes- the idea is to post them here as I paint them up. First up, we've got Hastatus Teshub.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/223/6/2/teshub__of_the_dusk_raiders_by_edthomasten-d5apd7v.jpg

As you can see I've gone for the "Gothic Pattern" look- I thought it gave the models that nice 'techno barbarian' feel, especially as I normally give my regular Astartes Terminator legs to give them extra bulk. The heads and shoulder pads were from Anvil Industry- it was a huge relief to be able to replicate the distinctive visored helmet look! The weapons are Orky, which I thought had that massive, crude feel. Here's some other photos of him from the rear.

http://alternatehistory.com/discussion/attachment.php?attachmentid=182595&stc=1&d=1344621550

Teshub is still a little WIP- I need to stick him on a base for a start, and am undecided whether to make it a 25mm (of which I have lots) or a 40mm (which makes him look a little more impressive). I'm quite pleased with how the Dusk Raiders scheme has turned out, although the photos make his armour look a little more yellow-y than real life- a consequence of my terror of trying to paint things white!

Anyhow, all thoughts/comments welcome- he should have a couple of friends joining him soon.

I like him, I've a fond spot for Thunder Warriors. Although aren't the Dusk Raiders the Death Guard before they meet Mortarion? I.e. Space Marines, not thunder warriors...

They are indeed, the Emp used thunder warriors during the unification of Terra.

I like the model, a few refinements I would suggest if you're making more: The lightning bolts look a bit large and cartoony in my opinion, you could drop it and paint on the bolts, but that mightnt be great with your colour scheme. I love the use of the chaos warrior legs, nice touch, works very well for that proto-astartes feel. The axe is WAAAAAY oversized, but thats cool, I can run with it. I'm more of a fan of chainswords for anything pree-heresy personally, I just think it gives a good feel.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of these, the basic troopers especially, might make a few myself.

Archived