C:BA for my DIY... but with a complication

Wulfebane

Soo.. Hopefully this won't rub anyone the wrong way, but I intend to use the C:BA for my DIY alliance army to my main army of Wolves.

However, instead of using them as Blood Angels (to avoid team edward/jacob bonding discussions), or as Wulfen, which has become popular in 6E SW lists, I wanted to use them as a Raven Guard successor.

The problem I've got is how to explain the Flaw characteristics (red thirst/black rage) as something other than blood-related via Insanguination.

Anyone have any ideas?

Theres the background for the Raven guard having attempted to clone marines to cover losses but it went wrong, how about using red thirst and black rage to represent how wrong it went?

This is the line I'd take. You need to read Deliverance Lost. Then it's a case of creating some fluff, perhaps your Raven Guard still use unstable genesead? Perhaps they are fooling around with old technology? Maybe the device from Deliverance Lost was hidden away & tech marines have undone the Alpha Legion treachery (or so they thought). Just be creative. Personally, I think you can use whatever codex & paint scheme you want, it's your collection! Just come up with some original fluff ;)

- Dallas

Really any excuse is a good one. The Horus Heresy books talk about the World Eaters having implants that jack them up. Your DIY chapter may have been stressed out during a Warp translation. There could have been a little experimentation with the gene seed for your chapter. Any story will be a good one if you put a little back ground behind it.

With my Crimson Tears I'm taking a couple of directions with the explanation. Firstly, the chapter is incredibly loyal to imperium - might even have Inquisition ties, no one knows for certain - with many Chaplains, thus it borders on zealotry. Secondly, their internal doctrine prizes martial prowess above all else and their belief system embraces the Astartes reputation as Angels of Death; the enemy is never merely defeated, they are destroyed.

Thus, anyone who falls victim to the Red Thirst is simply super pumped for the opportunity to test himself in combat and to defend the Imperium, possibly following a particularly rousing sermon from the Chaplains. The effects of the Black Rage represent the Chapter's elite warriors, immensely skilled at hand to hand fighting (extra attacks from rage) and the most dedicated to the Chapter's beliefs and doctrines, their fanaticism means that death alone will see them stop fighting (feel no pain).

Skill at fighting, particular hatred for enemies are pretty universally applicable ways to adapt BA special rules. Hope that helped a little.

Archived