Fear to Tread

Augustus

"And perhaps more, he thought. The Thousand Sons, already in rebellion for their own cause? The Dark Angels or the Alpha Legion, both ever seeking their own agendas? Who would side with the Warmaster, if it came down to schism?"

Make of that what you will, but I think the author is mixing up his Heresy and 40k timelines a bit.

Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last time, and ultimately means nothing in this era of Matt Ward Retcon of fluff.

Read the books for their own entertainment value. Trying to apply them to anything related to the game is impossible, and will only lead to arguments and frustration.

Think of it as fuel for resolution whenever you have to go up against a marine army. They're wrongly accusing you of heresies based on less than accurate suspicions. Your honor is your life an'all. :P

I gave up been a solamnic knight a while ago :P

If i hear someone arguing (seriously and not for fun) again that the DA are traitors i will buy an azzrael and abbadon. I will paint the 8 pointed star on every friging inch of azraels robe and forehead and i will strap abby with as much aquilas as i can damnit. That will teach em :P

Think of it as fuel for resolution whenever you have to go up against a marine army. They're wrongly accusing you of heresies based on less than accurate suspicions. Your honor is your life an'all. :P

If i hear someone arguing (seriously and not for fun) again that the DA are traitors i will buy an azzrael and abbadon. I will paint the 8 pointed star on every friging inch of azraels robe and forehead and i will strap abby with as much aquilas as i can damnit. That will teach em :P

So, you'll superglue aquilas to abby's shoulder joints? :V

So, you'll superglue aquilas to abby's shoulder joints? :V

Even in his face if i have to, that armless failure i know :P

We know know for a fact that the DA had their own agenda, that was holding out the Imperium for the Emperor, which conflicts with Guilliman and his associates agenda. Jonson decided that he would kick anyone that threataned to usurp the Emperor's rightfull place as ruler. SOL really that tidbit isn't ambigous to me, it reflects the thoughts of someone that knows some legions had their own purposes but that someone doen't know for sure what they are and where their loyalties lie, a thing we DA players now know for sure.

Complaining about retcons in Warhammer 40,000 history is like complaining that there aren't many ski lodges in the Sahara. ;)

The game has evolved through six editions, it has books for each playable army and its own publishing arm for hundreds of novels set in the background universe. It is, in short, a continuity cluster :cuss and the original game designers set things up that way on purpose. They knew from day zero that a universe set 38,016 years in the future, covering the enitre Milky Way galaxy, a half-dozen playable armies (all of which needed an excuse to fight each other and amongst themselves), and one with room to grow wasn't going to be able to have a locked down canon.

So, from page one of Rouge Trader they've repeated spelt out that they expect us to ignore continuity! More than half the "official" background the product of Historical Revisionism, the rest is a mixture of myth, mistakes, propogandan, and outright lies. Each army gets to be full of the Rule Of Cool, trampling over all other armies because everything you know about them is propaganda. Plus a world without any solid truth gets another layer of GRIMDARK.

The number of Records Expunged by Order of the Inquisition bits lets people fill in the blanks as to what really happened. Its adds to the horror of a world where the few good deeds might go forgotten, or where you yourself have to be expunged or unpersoned. It even allows for some comedy -- look at Ciaphas Cain, "Hero of the Imperium". Even one straightforward story can be made into several. The legends of the Eldar gods can be interpreted as involving battles between physical entities, Eldritch Abominations in the warp or metaphors for armies using new weaponry.

We know know for a fact that the DA had their own agenda, that was holding out the Imperium for the Emperor, which conflicts with Guilliman and his associates agenda. Jonson decided that he would kick anyone that threataned to usurp the Emperor's rightfull place as ruler. SOL really that tidbit isn't ambigous to me, it reflects the thoughts of someone that knows some legions had their own purposes but that someone doen't know for sure what they are and where their loyalties lie, a thing we DA players now know for sure.

And that wraps it up 100%.

CL, that was quote was coming from a Blood Angel marine who JUST found out that there was a Heresy and knew of only Horus, Magnus, and Lorgar had turned traitor. It gives the impression that during the crusade the Dark Angels were very Alpha Legion like through the line "flowing their own agenda"

Which so far, none of the published material has shown the Dark Angels acting of their own agenda from the point of view of a very ignorant Blood Angel marine.

Point taken, but still doesn't revogate the truth as we now know it.. even Jonson admited his course of action would spread doubt. "Loyalty is it's own reward" if my memory serves me. So Yeah we see the DA portraited has having an agenda at the end of the heresy and we actually know what that agenda is and is no fence sitting as everyone else thinks. Just clarifying my point.

Archived